Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stuck in California:
Billion Pounds of Almonds
Jul 8, 2022 12:14 PM CDT
Stuck in California: Billion Pounds of Almonds
Industry has turned to 'almond express trains'
- More than a billion pounds of almonds—enough to give everybody on the planet a good-sized handful of the nuts—are stuck in storage in California because of supply chain issues, and farmers aren't sure what they're going to do with a harvest of 2.8 billion pounds...
California Has More Than
One Almond Problem
Aug 17, 2021 2:26 PM CDT
California Has More Than One Almond Problem
Almond orchards are thirsty, and the crops that soak up water are largely exported
- A historic drought across the US West is taking a heavy toll on California’s $6 billion almond industry, which produces roughly 80% of the world’s almonds. More growers are expected to abandon their orchards as water becomes scarce and expensive. It’s a sharp reversal for the almond’...
Thieves Are Getting
Nuts in California
May 26, 2017 5:35 PM CDT
Thieves Are Getting Nuts in California
Nut thefts are apparently a big deal in California
- Since 2013, more than 35 truckloads of almonds, walnuts, and pistachios, worth a combined $10 million, have disappeared in California. In an extensive look at efforts to crack the case, Peter Vigneron at
reveals a story that is, well, nuts. It turns out stealing nuts, which are worth a...
This California Couple Uses
Mind-Boggling Amount of Water
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 14, 2016 10:19 AM CDT
This California Couple Uses Mind-Boggling Amount of Water
Megafarmers Lynda and Stewart Resnick have built a multi-billion dollar empire
- While you may not be familiar with California power couple and megafarmers Lynda and Stewart Resnick, it's highly likely you've heard of some of the things they own. There's flower delivery service Teleflora; Fiji Water; Pom Wonderful juices; Halos mandarin oranges; groves upon groves of navels, grapefruits,...
Dec 17, 2014 9:20 AM CST
Next Hot 'Milk' Trend: Cashew Milk?
Silk releases 'creamy' new dairy substitute
- For decades, Americans' go-to option for non-dairy milk was soy, but that has changed in recent years. Last year, almond milk took the crown from soy as the non-dairy king, and how: In August, Bloomberg Businessweek reported annual almond milk sales of $738 million for the 12 months ending July...
America Has a
New Favorite Nut
Aug 8, 2014 8:05 AM CDT
America Has a New Favorite Nut
That's an actual nut, not the politician who disagrees most with you
- For decades, the peanut has reigned supreme, its popularity a league above the rest of the nuts (even though technically it's not a nut , but a legume). And while almonds have been growing in popularity faster than any other nut, it wasn't until recently that they finally surged...
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
Best TV Shows of All Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.