Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Here's Aunt Jemima's
in case you missed it
Feb 13, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Here's Aunt Jemima's New Name
Products will be sold under the name Pearl Milling Company starting in June
- As promised , Quaker Oats is changing the name of its Aunt Jemima brand. Starting in June, the name and logo featuring a smiling Black woman—long criticized as racially insensitive—will no longer appear on products. Instead, they will be sold under the name Pearl Milling Company, CNN reports....
Called VP Pick
Aug 14, 2020 10:18 AM CDT
Mayor Who Called VP Pick 'Aunt Jemima' Is Censured
Barry Presgraves of Luray, Va., faces calls to resign despite apology
- A Virginia mayor is facing calls to resign over a Facebook post that claimed Joe Biden had selected "Aunt Jemima" as his running mate. Luray Mayor Barry Presgraves' shared the post two weeks ago when Biden’s shortlist included several Black women, including Florida Rep. Val Demings, California Rep....
Aug 5, 2020 10:41 AM CDT
Biden's Short List May Be Even Shorter
Reports say Kamala Harris and Susan Rice are the VP finalists
- Joe Biden's announcement of his running mate has to come soon—the Democratic convention gets underway in less than two weeks on August 17. As the vetting process winds down, Biden has dropped a few hints, including that four Black women are on his short list. But now the...
After 130 Years,
Jun 17, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
After 130 Years, Aunt Jemima Is Getting an Overhaul
Aunt Jemima brand is changing logo, name to 'make progress toward racial equality'
- For decades, supermarket shoppers have seen bottles of maple syrup represented by log cabins, matrons with aprons, and one especially controversial brand that's now getting an overhaul. Per NBC News , Quaker Oats, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, announced Wednesday it will completely change both the logo and name of its...
'Aunt Jemima' Heirs
Want $2B in Royalties
Aug 12, 2014 8:50 AM CDT
'Aunt Jemima' Heirs Want $2B in Royalties
Anna Short Harrington's great-grandkids say Pepsi, Quaker Oats exploited her
- "Aunt Jemima" is a household name for any American who has ever eaten a pancake (read: almost everyone). So it's not terribly surprising that the heirs of Anna Short Harrington, whose iconic image helped make the brand's syrup and pancake mixes famous, are going after decades of...
Popular on Newser
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
Suspects' Mercedes-Benz Getting Loads of Attention
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
De Blasio: 'I Am Declaring My Candidacy'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.