Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Student Performance of Disney Song Called a 'Violating Ritual'
Princeton's Tigertones regret causing offense
- An all-male a cappella group at Princeton University has temporarily pulled
The Little Mermaid
's "Kiss the Girl" from its set list after its performance of the song was declared an "offensive and violating ritual." Sophomore Noa Wollstein argued in an op-ed in the
Does Coercion Equal 'Rape'? 2 Takes on Aziz Ansari
Bari Weiss says allegation trivializes #MeToo movement
- When Sezin Koehler first read that Aziz Ansari made a date feel "violated," she thought, "This isn't sexual assault. This is several bad dates I have been on in the past." It was then that Koehler remembered what she calls a "scarily similar" encounter—...
College Student Expelled Over Sexual Misconduct Sues
He says University of Michigan needed to define 'intoxicated' vs. 'incapacitated'
- An unnamed University of Michigan student expelled in June for violating the school's sexual misconduct policy is suing, Courthouse News Service reports. The student says he was only 13.5 credits shy of his degree when a University of Michigan appeals board ousted him based on an "unconstitutionally...
Forced Oral Sex Isn't Rape If Victim Is Drunk: Court
Oklahoma judges say law's language doesn't apply to the unconscious
- Prosecutors in Tulsa say Oklahoma's Court of Criminal Appeals misfired badly by ruling that the state's forcible sodomy law isn't applicable to intoxicated or unconscious victims, reports UPI . In what Benjamin Fu, Tulsa County assistant DA, calls an "insane" and "dangerous" interpretation of the law,...
Trojan's New Campaign: More Consent
Condom company spreading a 'culture of consent' on college campuses
- April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and for the second year in a row, the maker of Trojan condoms wants to help spread the word around college campuses through its "Consent: Ask for It" campaign with the Advocates for Youth nonprofit, per a press release . The goal: for college...
78-Year-Old on Trial for Having Sex With His Wife
Some say Henry Rayhons' wife, Donna, who had dementia, wasn't able to give consent
- An elderly man having sexual relations with his wife wouldn't normally be front-page news. But for Henry Rayhons, a former Republican legislator in Iowa, it's a trickier case. The 78-year-old is currently on trial, charged with felony sex abuse for allegedly having sex last May with his wife,...
Utah Lawmakers Debate Sex With Unconscious People
Law also applies to spouses, committee member told
- A Utah bill stating that unconscious people cannot consent to sex proved to be more controversial than expected when it came before a legislative committee earlier this week. Rep. Brian Greene wondered if it meant that somebody who had sex with an unconscious spouse could be charged with rape, saying...
Girl Fights Connecticut Over Right to Refuse Chemo
Cassandra's chance of survival put at 80%-85% with treatment
- After 17-year-old Cassandra was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in September, she underwent two chemotherapy treatments in November at Connecticut Children's Medical Center before running away from home because she didn't want to complete the prescribed chemo. Now Cassandra is in the middle of a legal battle headed...
Lawmaker Accused of 'Raping' Wife With Dementia
Henry Rayhons, 78, says he and wife Donna were inseparable
- An Iowa state lawmaker says he loved visiting his wife at a nursing home before her death at age 79. But prosecutors have filed felony charges against him, saying that her Alzheimer's made her unable to consent to his sexual desires, Bloomberg reports via the
. Henry Rayhons,...
California Spells Out When 'Yes Means Yes'
Gov. Jerry Brown signs bill about sexual consent
- A busy weekend for California Gov. Jerry Brown culminated in several signed bills designed to assist students across his state. Chief among the legislation is SB-967 , which seeks to combat sexual assault on campus by flipping the traditional "no means no" mantra on its head: Colleges and universities will...
Popular on Newser
Joe Biden Injures Himself
Trump Did Not Like What He Saw on 60 Minutes
Her Son Was Killed by Cops. She Was Shot at His Funeral
An Ancient Light Could Undermine Physics
Assassination Complicates Biden's Plans
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.