Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
In Case of the ISIS
'Beatles,' a Milestone
Oct 7, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
In Case of the ISIS 'Beatles,' a Milestone
El Shafee Elsheikh, Alexanda Kotey are indicted, accused of beheadings, torture of Westerners
- The Justice Department unsealed charges Wednesday against two Islamic State militants from Britain, accusing them of carrying out a gruesome campaign of torture, beheadings, and other acts of violence against Western hostages they'd captured in Syria, including four Americans. El Shafee Elsheikh and Alexanda Kotey are two of four...
FBI Testing Possible
Remains of ISIS Hostages
Apr 4, 2018 2:37 AM CDT
FBI Testing Possible Remains of ISIS Hostages
Captured 'Beatles' provided info on burial sites
- The families of American hostages murdered by ISIS in Syria may finally be able to lay their loved ones to rest. Officials and relatives tells ABC News that human remains in areas of Syria liberated from the group are being tested by the FBI Laboratory in Quantico, Va., though it...
Captured ISIS Fighters Might
Know Where Mueller's Body Is
Feb 23, 2018 10:41 AM CST
Captured ISIS Fighters Might Know Where Mueller's Body Is
They're said to be pointing out grave sites
- The capture of two ISIS fighters who may know the whereabouts of Kayla Mueller's body has raised hope that her parents might finally be able to put their daughter to rest. ISIS said the aid worker kidnapped in Syria in 2013 was killed in 2015 when a Jordanian airstrike...
to Obama: Save
Jun 23, 2016 12:22 PM CDT
Families of Slain Hostages to Obama: Save Austin Tice
US journalist is being held captive in Syria
- American journalist Austin Tice—believed to be the only US reporter held hostage anywhere in the world—was captured in Syria in August 2012. Since then, US hostages James Foley , Peter Kassig , Kayla Mueller , and Steven Sotloff have been killed, and their families fear Tice's parents will soon have...
How an Arrest Ended Secret Talks to Save Peter Kassig
Dec 19, 2014 8:24 AM CST
How an Arrest Ended Secret Talks to Save Peter Kassig
Stanley Cohen feels betrayed after covert operation fell through
- For weeks before Islamic State militants released a video showing the beheading of Peter Kassig , FBI officials backed a plan to save the US aid worker. In an exclusive, the
reveals New York lawyer Stanley Cohen—who has represented Osama bin Laden's son-in-law —convinced al-Qaeda-linked clerics Abu...
Newest ISIS Death Video
Has Major Differences
Nov 17, 2014 7:54 AM CST
Newest ISIS Death Video Has Major Differences
Kassig's parents heartbroken but 'incredibly proud'
- ISIS has beheaded another hostage , but while the outcome is grimly familiar, analysts say the video revealing the death of Peter Kassig has differences that hint at serious problems for the militant group. Unlike four earlier videos showing the execution of Western hostages, the quality is poor, Kassig is not...
Video of Dead
Nov 16, 2014 2:44 PM CST
White House Confirms ISIS Video of Dead American
Peter Kassig was taken in 'act of pure evil,' Obama says
- ISIS released a graphic video today in which a black-clad militant claims to have beheaded US aid worker Peter Kassig, and the White House confirms that it's really him. Kassig "was a humanitarian who worked to save the lives of Syrians injured and dispossessed," says President Obama,...
US Hostage's Mom Tries
to Reach ISIS via Twitter
Oct 9, 2014 7:30 AM CDT
US Hostage's Mom Tries to Reach ISIS via Twitter
'How can we reach you?' mother of Abdul-Rahman Kassig asks militants
- Abdul-Rahman Kassig's family has already released a letter from him in which he said he was "scared to die" and posted a series of YouTube videos begging for his freedom from his ISIS captors. Now mom Paula Kassig has taken to Twitter to directly address "Caliph Abu...
Letter From US
Oct 6, 2014 7:58 AM CDT
Parents Release Letter From US ISIS Hostage
'Hardest part is not knowing,' writes the former Peter Kassig
- An American ISIS hostage says he's "scared to die, but the hardest part is not knowing, wondering, hoping, and wondering if I should even hope at all." The words come from a letter Abdul-Rahman Kassig, formerly known as Peter Kassig, wrote to his parents; they received the...
by ISIS Is Former
Oct 4, 2014 10:13 AM CDT
American Held by ISIS Is Former Army Ranger Turned Volunteer
Peter Kassig founded relief organization; parents ask for his release in video
- In its latest execution video, ISIS threatened that its next victim would be an American aid worker named Peter Kassig. The 26-year-old is a former Army Ranger from Indiana who served in Iraq in 2007 before being honorably discharged for medical reasons, reports CNN . He enrolled at Butler University upon...
Oct 3, 2014 3:50 PM CDT
ISIS Beheads British Hostage, Threatens American
Alan Henning is the latest victim; US citizen Peter Kassig may be next
- ISIS today released another video showing the beheading of a hostage, this time British citizen Alan Henning, reports AP . The video follows the same pattern as the previous three, in which an Islamic State fighter rants against the West. At the end of the video, the militant threatens an American...
Popular on Newser
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
'Abandoned Twice' Teen Kills Self After Reunion With Parents
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.