Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
toxic shock syndrome
Kids Are Showing
Up in ICUs With
May 5, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
Kids Are Showing Up in ICUs With Odd 'Inflammatory' Syndrome
15 NYC kids hospitalized in cases perhaps tied to COVID-19, with similar cases across US, abroad
- Initial research suggests that kids don't seem to be as hard hit by the coronavirus as adults are, but a group of children hospitalized in New York City underscores that there's much we still don't know. Per CNN , a Monday alert issued by the city's health...
Teen Went to Sleep
on a School Trip.
She Never Woke Up
Jun 29, 2018 8:14 AM CDT
Teen Went to Sleep on a School Trip. She Never Woke Up
16-year-old Sara Manitoski died from toxic shock syndrome in March 2017, coroner finds
- An overnight school trip last year turned tragic for a Canadian teen, and now a coroner has confirmed why.
reports 16-year-old Sara Manitoski, who was found unresponsive in her cabin bed after friends came back from breakfast, died of toxic shock syndrome, with the coroner's conclusion based on...
Toxic Shock Syndrome Took
Her Leg. She'll Lose the Other
Dec 20, 2017 8:42 AM CST
Toxic Shock Syndrome Took Her Leg. She'll Lose the Other
Model Lauren Wasser spreads the word about Toxic Shock Syndrome
- Model Lauren Wasser believes she'll be able to run without pain again—just as soon as doctors amputate her left leg. It's a brutal surgery she's already undergone once, on her right leg, after developing toxic shock syndrome from a tampon in October 2012. The
Michigan Sees 'Cluster'
of Toxic Shock Cases
Mar 3, 2016 9:30 AM CST
Michigan Sees 'Cluster' of Toxic Shock Cases
5 cases have been reported since December
- Cases of toxic shock syndrome have been falling since the 1980s, partly due to increased warnings about tampon use. That's why a sudden bump in cases in Michigan is so startling. Greenville's Rylie Whitten was put on life support in early January with one of the worst cases...
Student Almost Died
After Forgetting to
Feb 29, 2016 7:07 AM CST
Student Almost Died After Forgetting to Remove Tampon
Weeks later she still needs crutches
- Emily Pankhurst is alive today thanks to her mother's sage advice and a round of antibiotics after she discovered that her fatigue, headaches, and fevers weren't mere stress during final exams but the result of leaving a tampon in for nine days. A month later, as she is...
Popular on Newser
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
FBI: Laundrie Took Responsibility in His Notebook
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.