Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Report: EgyptAir Crash Likely
Caused by Pilot's Cigarette
Apr 28, 2022 10:44 AM CDT
Report: EgyptAir Crash Likely Caused by Pilot's Cigarette
Terrorism was initially blamed for 2016 crash that killed 66; French investigators found otherwise
- Smoke was detected on EgyptAir Flight 804 shortly before it plunged into the Mediterranean on May 19, 2016, killing all 66 aboard, and initial analyses pointed toward terrorism. Now, a report from French investigators points to something far less nefarious: a fire caused by a cigarette smoked by one...
Working Theory in Jet Crash:
iPhone in Cockpit Is to Blame
May 26, 2017 6:39 AM CDT
Working Theory in Jet Crash: iPhone in Cockpit Is to Blame
Investigators say co-pilot may have used wrong outlet in EgyptAir crash
- Investigators still don't know what caused an EgyptAir jet to crash last year en route from Paris to Cairo, but they're seriously looking into the possibility that a co-pilot's iPhone or iPad Mini is to blame. The theory is that the co-pilot plugged the device into a...
Explosives Traces Found
on EgyptAir Victims
Dec 15, 2016 11:01 AM CST
Explosives Traces Found on EgyptAir Victims
Evidence now points toward terrorism in crash that killed 66
- Traces of explosives have been found on some of the 66 victims aboard an EgyptAir Flight that crashed into the Mediterranean Sea earlier this year, and Egypt says it will now open a criminal investigation, reports the BBC . Flight 804 had been en route from Paris to Cairo when it...
Someone Tried to
Put Out Fire Before
Jul 5, 2016 12:15 PM CDT
Someone Tried to Put Out Fire Before EgyptAir Crash
New information from Flight 804's flight deck voice recorder
- New evidence from the wreckage of EgyptAir Flight 804 shows someone tried to put out a fire moments before the plane crashed into the Mediterranean in May, Reuters reports. The new information comes from the flight deck voice recorder, which confirms earlier findings from the flight's data recorder, according...
France Opens Flight 804
Jun 28, 2016 12:21 AM CDT
France Opens Flight 804 Manslaughter Case
Officials say there's no evidence linking crash to terrorism
- French authorities opened a manslaughter inquiry Monday into the May crash of an EgyptAir plane that killed 66 people, saying there is no evidence so far to link it to terrorism. Prosecutor's office rep Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre says the inquiry was launched as an accident investigation, not a terrorism investigation,...
Black Box Is Found
Jun 17, 2016 6:58 AM CDT
EgyptAir's Second Black Box Is Found
Flight data and voice recorders were pulled from plane's tail
- The flight data recorder of the EgyptAir plane that crashed last month, killing all 66 people on board, was recovered early Friday from the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, one day after the plane's cockpit voice recorder was also retrieved. The announcement from the Egyptian investigation committee came two...
Found: Black Box for
Crashed EgyptAir Plane
Jun 16, 2016 9:43 AM CDT
Found: Black Box for Crashed EgyptAir Plane
Egyptian investigators say cockpit voice recorder was pulled out of Mediterranean Sea
- The cockpit voice recorder of the doomed EgyptAir plane that crashed last month, killing all 66 on board, has been found and pulled from the Mediterranean Sea, Egypt's investigation committee said Thursday, per the AP . The development raises hopes of finding clues as to the cause of the May...
Egypt Says Flight 804
Wreckage Has Been Found
Jun 15, 2016 4:45 PM CDT
Egypt Says Flight 804 Wreckage Has Been Found
The plane crashed May 19 on the way to Cairo from Paris
- Nearly a month after EgyptAir Flight 804 crashed somewhere over the Mediterranean, searchers report they've found the wreckage, the
New York Times
reports. Wednesday's announcement comes from the Egyptian government, which states a search vessel "identified several main locations of the wreckage." According to the BBC...
Jun 1, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Pings 'Likely' From EgyptAir Black Box
Search efforts will ramp up in coming days
- A French ship combing the Mediterranean for evidence of EgyptAir Flight 804 has detected what investigators believe are signals from one of the plane's black boxes. Search equipment "has detected signals from the seabed of the search area, which likely belong to one of the data boxes,"...
May Have Caught a Break
May 27, 2016 6:43 AM CDT
EgyptAir Investigators May Have Caught a Break
Signal from plane's beacon will narrow search
- A possible big break in the hunt for the wreckage of EgyptAir Flight 804 : Investigators say they've detected a signal from an emergency beacon on the plane, reports the BBC . The discovery will narrow the scope of the search to an area with a 3-mile radius in the Mediterranean,...
May 24, 2016 9:50 AM CDT
Forensics Chief Dismisses 'Assumptions' of Plane Explosion
Too early to tell what brought down EgyptAir flight, he says
- The black boxes from EgyptAir Flight 804 remain somewhere in the Mediterranean, and until they're found, dueling accounts about what happened to the jet seem bound to continue. On Tuesday, an anonymous Egyptian forensics official made headlines after noting that the approximately 80 body parts recovered so far were...
2 Years Ago
May 22, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
EgyptAir Jet Was Graffitied Ominously 2 Years Ago
Airline had increased security measures in face of nation's turmoil
- Egyptian President Abdel-Fatah El-Sissi says a submarine is en route to the crash site of EgyptAir Flight 804 to search for the black boxes, but the
New York Times
reports that the airline had long suffered from security threats stemming from Egypt's political turmoil—including, ominously, a graffitied threat...
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.