Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
A Russian First:
Sent to Prison
Feb 6, 2019 10:15 AM CST
A Russian First: Jehovah's Witness Sent to Prison
Dennis Christensen convicted of extremism
- A regional court in western Russia on Wednesday sentenced a Danish Jehovah's Witness to six years in prison, in arguably the most severe crackdown on religious freedom in Russia in recent years, the AP reports. The court in Oryol found Dennis Christensen, who was leading the local Bible reading,...
Jehovah's Witnesses Paying
$4K a Day to Shield Records
Nov 17, 2017 9:14 AM CST
Jehovah's Witnesses Paying $4K a Day to Shield Records
Court order levies penalty for each day it doesn't turn over documents about alleged abuse
- The Jehovah's Witnesses have a $2 million tab with the state of California that's growing by $4,000 every day, all because the group won't hand over internal documents that detail alleged child sex abuse in its congregations. Reveal from the Center for Investigative Reporting explains: San...
Russia Orders Disbanding
of Jehovah's Witnesses
Jul 18, 2017 1:59 AM CDT
Russia Orders Disbanding of Jehovah's Witnesses
Government will seize group's Kingdom Halls
- "Religious freedom in Russia is over," a spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses lamented Monday after the country's highest court rejected an appeal against an order banning the group . The ruling means that the religious organization will be forced to close almost 400 local chapters and hand all...
Apr 20, 2017 6:25 PM CDT
Russia Bans Jehovah's Witnesses
The religious group plans to appeal
- Russia's Supreme Court on Thursday banned Jehovah's Witnesses from operating anywhere in the country, accepting a request from the justice ministry that the religious organization be considered an extremist group, the AP reports. The court ordered the closure of the group's Russian headquarters and its 395 local...
After New Mom's Death,
Jehovah's Witnesses Take Heat
in case you missed it
Oct 29, 2016 3:49 PM CDT
After New Mom's Death, Jehovah's Witnesses Take Heat
Eloise Dupuis, 27, died of a hemorrhage after she refused blood transfusion
- Jehovah's Witnesses are defending their ban on blood transfusions after the death of a new mom in Quebec this month. Family members of Eloise Dupuis, 27, say she was influenced to decline a potentially lifesaving blood transfusion after a bedside visit by a "hospital liaison committee" of Jehovah'...
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.