Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Gets Out 20 Years Early
Feb 1, 2022 6:16 PM CST
Lottery Scammer Gets Out 20 Years Early
But Eddie Tipton still owes $2.2M
- The Iowa man behind one of the largest lottery scams in American history has been granted parole after serving less than five years of his 25-year sentence—but Eddie Tipton might need to figure out another way to make money fast. The Iowa Board of Parole says Tipton, a former...
Lottery Luck Was Too Fishy
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Family's Lottery Luck Was Too Fishy
Massachusetts' Ali Jaafar, 2 sons accused of $21M fraud
- Ali Jaafar, 63, was the top individual lottery ticket casher in Massachusetts in 2019. His sons Mohamed, 31, and Yousef, 28, were third and fourth respectively, per Complex . According to prosecutors, family luck had nothing to do with it. In reality, the three men who cashed in more than 13,...
Biggest Lottery Winner in US
Was Swindled: Prosecutors
Aug 19, 2020 1:13 PM CDT
Biggest Lottery Winner in US Was Swindled: Prosecutors
'Lottery Lawyer' Jason Kurland charged in $107M fraud
- The "Lottery Lawyer" advertised his services while noting that many lottery winners "are not sophisticated enough" to see potential scams. "You really have to rely on the professionals," Jason Kurland told
in 2016. Now three winners who relied on Kurland have lost more than $80...
Scam Victim, 90, Who Lost
$400K Has Gotten $287 Back
Nov 10, 2019 1:00 PM CST
Scam Victim, 90, Who Lost $400K Has Gotten $287 Back
Another $138 could be on the way
- A 90-year-old North Dakota woman who was robbed of her life savings in a Jamaican lottery scam says she has been paid back only $287 of the $400,000 she's owed. The case of Edna Schmeets of Harvey, a small North Dakota town about 75 miles northeast of Bismarck,...
US Woman Could Get
Life for Jamaica Lottery Scam
Dec 17, 2018 1:03 AM CST
US Woman Could Get Life for Jamaica Lottery Scam
'Her hands were all over the conspiracy'
- A federal judge in North Dakota on Monday ordered a Rhode Island woman convicted of funneling lottery scam money between the US and Jamaica to remain jailed pending a February sentencing hearing where she could face a stiffer sentence than the alleged mastermind, the AP reports. "Her hands were...
Hijacked Code Let Lottery
Fraudster Win $24M
in case you missed it
Mar 31, 2018 11:40 AM CDT
Hijacked Code Let Lottery Fraudster Win $24M
It all started with a convo about 'secret numbers' and a search for Bigfoot
- The Iowa man behind the biggest US lotto scam ever was a "very large" and "kind of lonesome" geek, according to his own brother, and he didn't set out to rig more than $24 million for the money: Eddie Tipton says he did it for the challenge....
Programmer Who Rigged
the Lottery Is Headed to Jail
Aug 23, 2017 5:58 AM CDT
Programmer Who Rigged the Lottery Is Headed to Jail
Eddie Tipton and cohorts knew the winning numbers
- An ex-lottery computer programmer who rigged the system in several states to enable himself to win $2.2 million in jackpots is going to prison. An Iowa judge sentenced Eddie Tipton, 54, to up to 25 years in prison on Tuesday, though the
Des Moines Register
reports he could be...
Popular on Newser
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Cops: Vince Carter's Wife, Kids Hid During Burglary
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.