Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Producer Dead at 47
Oct 26, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Executive Producer Dead at 47
Ben Feigin, who helped launch the hit CBC/Netflix series, has died of pancreatic cancer
- One of the driving forces behind the award-winning CBC television series
reports that executive producer Ben Feigin died of pancreatic cancer, with confirmation on his death from United Talent Agency, his former employer. Feigin was 47. The Maryland native kicked off his career at...
Alcee Hastings Is Dead
Apr 6, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
Longtime Congressman Alcee Hastings Is Dead
Florida Democrat was elected after being impeached as a federal judge
- Longtime Congressman Alcee Hastings of Florida has died at age 84 after a two-year fight with pancreatic cancer. The Palm Beach County Democrat died Tuesday, according to chief of staff Lale M. Morrison. Hastings had been a reliably liberal voice on Capitol Hill since he first won his seat in...
'So Long, Everybody':
Last Show Honors Trebek
Jan 9, 2021 3:30 PM CST
'So Long, Everybody': Last Show Honors Trebek
Episode ends with clips of 'Jeopardy!' host through the decades
- Alex Trebek left his fans a handful of
episodes taped just before his death, the last of them intended to air Christmas week. But they were rescheduled, CBS reports. The final show with Trebek as host ran Friday, ending with a tribute in clips that was emotional but included...
Alex Trebek's Last Day Filming
Was 10 Days Before Death
Nov 9, 2020 2:30 AM CST
Alex Trebek's Last Day Filming Was 10 Days Before Death
Tributes are pouring in for 'Jeopardy!' host
- Tributes to beloved
host Alex Trebek are pouring in after he died Sunday at age 80 following a battle with pancreatic cancer. The three Greatest of All Time tournament contestants all weighed in, including Ken Jennings, who ultimately won the title. "Alex wasn’t just the best ever...
Goodbye to One of Baseball's
'Most Uncompromising' Players
Oct 3, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Goodbye to One of Baseball's 'Most Uncompromising' Players
Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, powerhouse pitcher for St. Louis Cardinals, dies at 84
- Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, the dominating St. Louis Cardinals pitcher who won a record seven consecutive World Series starts and set a modern standard for excellence when he finished the 1968 season with a 1.12 ERA, died Friday. He was 84. The Cardinals confirmed Gibson's death shortly...
Notorious RBG Is
Jan 9, 2020 12:30 AM CST
Notorious RBG Is Now Cancer-Free
She says treatment for growth in pancreas was successful
- Good news for fans of the Notorious RBG, and anybody else concerned about the direction of the Supreme Court under President Trump: Ruth Bader Ginsburg says she is now cancer-free. The 86-year-old, who is one of the court's four liberal justices, told CNN this week that treatment for a...
Rep. John Lewis:
I Have Advanced Cancer
Dec 30, 2019 12:33 AM CST
Rep. John Lewis: I Have Advanced Cancer
The 79-year-old Democrat says he's 'clear-eyed about the prognosis'
- Congressman John Lewis of Georgia announced Sunday that he has advanced pancreatic cancer, vowing he will keep serving and fight the disease with the tenacity with which he battled racial discrimination and other inequalities dating to the civil rights era, the AP reports. Lewis, the youngest and last survivor of...
Fans Can Honor Trebek
Nov 14, 2019 11:15 AM CST
Fans Can Honor Trebek
Play-along tournament for cancer research kicks off Thursday
- Those moved by a
contestant's support for Alex Trebek can pay homage to the beloved TV host in a different way. Dhruv Gaur and other contestants have organized a play-along tournament in which viewers are encouraged to donate $1 to the Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research for...
Champ Donates in
Honor of Trebek
Nov 7, 2019 7:07 AM CST
Champ Donates in Honor of Trebek
Avi Gupta says host's struggle with pancreatic cancer has inspired him
- Alex Trebek has inspired millions with the candor he's shown in detailing his dealings with pancreatic cancer, but he touched one young
contestant so much that the 18-year-old reached into his wallet. Avi Gupta, a freshman at Columbia University, emerged as the champion in the game show's...
Oct 31, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
Alex Trebek Shares the Cancer Symptom He Ignored
And other warning signs that people should heed
- World Pancreatic Cancer Day isn't until Nov. 21, but a new public service announcement with a big name attached is already helping spread awareness of the disease. The
New York Daily News
reports that Alex Trebek, who has been publicly documenting his own battle with the illness, appears in...
I Have Some
Oct 7, 2019 2:02 PM CDT
Alex Trebek: I Have Some Regrets About Cancer Fight
'Jeopardy!' host gives extensive interview to an outlet in his native Canada
- Less than a month after delivering the sobering news that he had to go back on chemo to treat his pancreatic cancer, Alex Trebek has given a hint that his time as the host of
may be coming to a close. "I will keep doing it as long...
Cancer: a 'Fungal Invasion'
Oct 4, 2019 9:54 AM CDT
Driving Pancreatic Cancer: a 'Fungal Invasion'
Scientists say fungi move from gut to pancreas, significantly increase in number, spur tumor growth
- An organ once deemed "sterile" may actually be teeming with fungi, and certain varieties there may be promoting cancer. New research in the journal
notes that even though it's already known bacteria is able to move from the gut to the pancreas, it wasn't clear whether...
Sep 17, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
New Cancer Update From Alex Trebek
'Jeopardy' host says his 'numbers' spiked, he's back on chemo
- Nearly four months ago, Alex Trebek delivered the "mind-boggling" news to fans that his pancreatic cancer was "near remission." The
host was doing so well that his doctors even halted his chemo treatment, opting to use immunotherapy instead. Now, however, a bit of a setback: On...
'On the Mend':
Aug 29, 2019 6:16 PM CDT
'On the Mend': Alex Trebek Returns to
Host has been fighting pancreatic cancer
host Alex Trebek has returned to work, saying he's "on the mend" following treatment for pancreatic cancer. The game show posted a video Thursday on Twitter showing the 79-year-old host back on set and promising "a good year" ahead. He actually started work on July 22,...
Aretha Franklin's Estate
Joins Push on Rare Cancer
Aug 19, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Aretha Franklin's Estate Joins Push on Rare Cancer
New fund in her name will research rare kind of pancreatic disease
- Aretha Franklin was famously private about her ailing health in her final years, but now her estate is joining the fight against the rare illness that claimed her life . The Aretha Franklin Fund for Neuroendocrine Cancer Research is now up and running, reports the
Detroit Free Press
. It's actually...
Here's Where $1K of
Holzhauer's Money Went
Jun 18, 2019 2:59 PM CDT
Here's Where $1K of Holzhauer's Money Went
Well, $1,109.14, a fact that Jeopardy! trivia fans might understand the significance of
pro James Holzhauer is $2,462,216 richer, minus what he owes Uncle Sam. And minus a little more than $1,000. The Naperville, Illinois, native was asked to participate in this year's Naperville Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk, a fundraising event started by Ann Zediker, whose father died...
Alex Trebek Has
May 29, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Alex Trebek Has 'Mind-Boggling' News
'Jeopardy!' host is 'near remission'
- Alex Trebek has "kind of mind-boggling" news: Doctors say he's "near remission," the
host shares with
. Even though stage 4 pancreatic cancer, with which he was diagnosed, has just a 9% five-year survival rate, per ABC News , Trebek has been responding extremely well to...
I Have 'Surges
of Deep, Deep
May 1, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
Alex Trebek: I Have 'Surges of Deep, Deep Sadness'
'Jeopardy!' host talks about his cancer diagnosis
- Alex Trebek gave his first live interview since revealing earlier this year that he has pancreatic cancer , and the
host was honest about his struggles. "My oncologist tells me I'm doing well even though I don't always feel it," he said on
Good Morning America
Alex Trebek on
'I'm a Lucky Guy'
Mar 15, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Alex Trebek on Fan Reaction: 'I'm a Lucky Guy'
'Jeopardy!' host offers thanks in video after revealing his cancer
- Alex Trebek's recent sad news that he has late-stage pancreatic cancer has prompted a somewhat more uplifting development: all of his fans letting him know that they're pulling for him. In a short video posted Thursday to the official
Twitter account, accompanied by the caption "thank...
Only Food Critic
to Win a Pulitzer Dies
Jul 22, 2018 9:11 AM CDT
Only Food Critic to Win a Pulitzer Dies
Jonathan Gold of the 'LA Times' dead at 57, only weeks after pancreatic cancer diagnosis
- Jonathan Gold was a restaurant critic, the only one to win a Pulitzer Prize for his efforts, and he was 57 when pancreatic cancer ended his life on Saturday—just a few weeks after his diagnosis. He was also a gentle giant in an industry that has now lost two...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainians Flee Recaptured City
Florida Beaches Run Short of Sand
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed on Ill-Advised Development
Irish Court to Elon Musk: No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.