Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 312,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Washington Monument Finally Reopens
It was closed for 3 years for repairs
- After a three-year closure, the Washington Monument is reopening to the public. The 555-foot stone obelisk was closed in Sept. 2016 in order to replace the aging elevator and upgrade security systems. The monument will reopen to the public at noon Thursday, and first lady Melania Trump is expected to...
Here Are Your 5 New National Monuments
They tell of disaster, division, dinos
- President Trump signed a bipartisan public lands bill Tuesday that will protect 1.3 million acres from California to Kentucky and establish five national monuments. But it's the lack of action on ex-Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke's recommendations in a review of 27 national monuments that's drawing attention....
Senate Passes Sweeping Conservation Package
Bipartisan effort to protect wilderness, national parks being called most wide-ranging in 10 years
calls it a "paradoxical win," but that's not stopping members of the US Senate from high-fiving on their latest bill: a bipartisan conservation effort that protects 1.3 million acres of wilderness, creates or expands 10 national parks (including Joshua Tree and Death Valley),...
Shrinking National Monument Was About Oil After All: Report
NYT gets Interior Department emails that contradict Secretary Ryan Zinke
- "Bears Ears isn't really about oil and gas," Interior Department Secretary Ryan Zinke said at a news conference in May 2017. Evidence from over 25,000 pages of department emails obtained by the
New York Times
shows that wasn't necessarily true. Last year President Trump called...
Patagonia Owner Sues Over Bears Ears: I Won't Let 'Evil' Win
Company sues to keep Trump administration from slashing national monument by 85%
- Go to Patagonia's website and you're greeted with a message Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has deemed "nefarious" : "The President Stole Your Land." The California company is referring to President Trump's move to shrink the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments in Utah, but...
Patagonia: 'The President Stole Your Land'
Company is suing to save Utah national monuments
- "The President Stole Your Land," outdoor apparel firm Patagonia declared in a message on its website Monday, hours after President Trump confirmed the shrinking of two national monuments in Utah by around 2 million acres. Patagonia says it plans to sue the Trump administration to halt what it...
In Utah, 2 Huge Monuments Just Became 5 Small Ones
President Trump undoes designations of Obama, Clinton, triggering a legal fight
- President Trump traveled to Utah on Monday and delivered news dreaded by environmentalists and Native American groups but praised by those who accuse the federal government of overreach. Trump announced he is reducing the size of two national monuments spanning millions of acres in Utah—Bears Ears, which was so...
Trump Plans Have Dinosaur-Lovers Distressed
Utah's Grand Staircase-Escalante is home to countless fossils—and 62 billion tons of coal
- Utah's Grand Staircase-Escalante contains an estimated 62 billion tons of coal. But it also has one of the highest concentrations of dinosaur fossils in the world, with more than two-dozen new species having been discovered in the 21 years since President Clinton designated it a national monument. So when...
Interior Chief Wants to Shrink 6 National Monuments
Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante in Utah would be reduced under plan
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is recommending that six of 27 national monuments under review by the Trump administration be reduced in size, with changes to several others proposed, per the AP . A leaked memo from Zinke to President Trump recommends that two Utah monuments—Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante—...
Popular on Newser
Zoom CEO: 'I Really Messed Up'
Uh, About Those Coronavirus Checks
Germany Hurls Big Accusation at Trump Over N95 Masks
'Gentle' Actor Is Dead at 16
Is China to Blame? 'Looks that Way'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.