Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
180 Away From
Mar 23, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Scientists Do 180 Away From 'Weird' Theories on 'Oumuamua
They're going back to positing that interstellar visitor was a comet, albeit with gas, dust trapped
- Was it an asteroid , a comet , a chunk of a distant planet , or an alien artifact ? All of these possibilities have been floated since the mysterious 'Oumuamua, our first known interstellar visitor, sped through our solar system in 2017. A 2021 study suggested what was previously thought to...
Study: Interstellar Visitor
Is Chunk of Distant Planet
Mar 18, 2021 4:59 AM CDT
Study: Interstellar Visitor Is Chunk of Distant Planet
Oumuamua is a cookie-shaped sliver of nitrogen ice, researchers say
- Our solar system’s first known interstellar visitor is neither a comet nor asteroid as first suspected and looks nothing like a cigar. A new study says the mystery object is likely a remnant of a Pluto-like world and is shaped like a cookie. Arizona State University astronomers say the...
Our First Interstellar
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 7, 2019 1:50 PM CDT
Our First Interstellar Visitor Wasn't So Spooky
'Whole host of natural phenomena that could explain it,' says scientist of 'Oumuamua
- Scientists are still scratching their heads about an interstellar object that came into our solar system in 2017, but one thing is now clear: The cigar-shaped object astronomers named 'Oumuamua was perfectly natural, reports Space.com . That might disappoint those who theorized that 'Oumuamua, the first interstellar visitor...
Mystery of Our First Interstellar
Jun 27, 2018 3:20 PM CDT
Mystery of Our First Interstellar Visitor Solved
Oumuamua was a comet, not an asteroid, scientists say
- Last year's visitor from another star system —a cigar-shaped object briefly tumbling through our cosmic neck of the woods—has now been identified as a comet. A European-led team makes the case in Wednesday's edition of the journal
, the AP reports. Telescopes first spotted the mysterious...
No Signals Detected
From Interstellar Visitor
Dec 15, 2017 8:45 AM CST
No Signals Detected From Interstellar Visitor
'This is a fishing expedition,' researchers say
- 'Oumuamua is Hawaiian for "messenger from afar"—but the only message researchers are getting from our first known visitor from another solar system so far is "I am an inanimate rock." The Breakthrough Listen project says its first search for artificial signals emanating from the...
Scientists to Check
if This 'Messenger'
Comes From Aliens
Dec 12, 2017 8:18 AM CST
Scientists to Check if This 'Messenger' Comes From Aliens
Green Bank telescope will scan 'Oumuamua for signs of alien technology
- It's unlikely that the first object found to have visited our solar system from interstellar space is carrying a message from aliens, but scientists will listen for one anyway. Beginning Wednesday, the Green Bank telescope in West Virginia will observe the mysterious cigar-shaped 'Oumuamua across four radio transmission...
Our First Guest
Nov 21, 2017 8:17 AM CST
Meet 'Oumuamua, Our First Guest From Another Solar System
And scientists think there could be thousands more just like it passing through
- Houston, we have a visitor—and astronomers think there could be 10,000 more just like it "lurking" in wait, as the
puts it. Meet 1I/2017 U1, or 'Oumuamua (Hawaiian for "messenger" or "scout"), which scientists say is an asteroid from another solar system—...
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
Taylor Swift Hits a 10-Figure Milestone
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.