Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 398,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Our First Interstellar Visitor Wasn't So Spooky
'Whole host of natural phenomena that could explain it,' says scientist of 'Oumuamua
- Scientists are still scratching their heads about an interstellar object that came into our solar system in 2017, but one thing is now clear: The cigar-shaped object astronomers named 'Oumuamua was perfectly natural, reports Space.com . That might disappoint those who theorized that 'Oumuamua, the first interstellar visitor...
Mystery of Our First Interstellar Visitor Solved
Oumuamua was a comet, not an asteroid, scientists say
- Last year's visitor from another star system —a cigar-shaped object briefly tumbling through our cosmic neck of the woods—has now been identified as a comet. A European-led team makes the case in Wednesday's edition of the journal
, the AP reports. Telescopes first spotted the mysterious...
No Signals Detected From Interstellar Visitor
'This is a fishing expedition,' researchers say
- 'Oumuamua is Hawaiian for "messenger for afar"—but the only message researchers are getting from our first known visitor from another solar system so far is "I am an inanimate rock." The Breakthrough Listen project says its first search for artificial signals emanating from the...
Scientists to Check if This 'Messenger' Comes From Aliens
Green Bank telescope will scan 'Oumuamua for signs of alien technology
- It's unlikely that the first object found to have visited our solar system from interstellar space is carrying a message from aliens, but scientists will listen for one anyway. Beginning Wednesday, the Green Bank telescope in West Virginia will observe the mysterious cigar-shaped 'Oumuamua across four radio transmission...
Meet 'Oumuamua, Our First Guest From Another Solar System
And scientists think there could be thousands more just like it passing through
- Houston, we have a visitor—and astronomers think there could be 10,000 more just like it "lurking" in wait, as the
puts it. Meet 1I/2017 U1, or 'Oumuamua (Hawaiian for "messenger" or "scout"), which scientists say is an asteroid from another solar system—...
Popular on Newser
New Worry: Grocery Workers Now Dying
She Accused Astronaut of a Space Crime. Now, a Twist
Coronavirus Is Hitting One Community Particularly Hard
Cuomo Has Good News, Bad News on Coronavirus
Mayor's Wife Ignores His Public Plea, Gets Arrested
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.