Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
George Santos Is Booted From Congress
Stories 1 - 20 |
Over Secret Powers
Nov 30, 2022 12:50 AM CST
Australian Ex-PM Censured Over Secret Powers
Former PM Scott Morrison gave himself ministerial powers amid COVID
- In a first for the country, Australia's parliament on Wednesday censured the nation's former prime minister Scott Morrison, Reuters reports. The historic move was made due to Morrison's secretly giving himself ministerial powers while PM. The vote to censure was 86-50 in the House of Representatives. Morrison...
Australia Just Voted
Out Its Prime Minister
May 21, 2022 9:14 AM CDT
Australia Just Voted Out Its Prime Minister
Scott Morrison concedes defeat to opposition leader Anthony Albanese
- Australia's prime minister conceded defeat after an election Saturday that could deliver a minority government. Scott Morrison acted quickly despite millions of votes yet to be counted, because an Australian prime minister must attend a Tokyo summit on Tuesday with US, Japanese, and Indian leaders. "I believe it'...
Aussie PM's Idea
Go Over Well
Jan 23, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Aussie PM's Idea Involving Kids, Forklifts Doesn't Go Over Well
Scott Morrison has nixed the proposal to alleviate labor shortage after backlash
- In the US, we've got teens driving big rigs . On the other side of the world, the Australian government briefly mulled having more teens do their part by operating forklifts—a suggestion that's since been walked back after backlash from local leaders. Per ABC Australia , Prime Minister Scott...
French Fume Over
of Macron Text
Nov 3, 2021 6:19 AM CDT
French Fume Over Australian Leak of Macron Text
Ambassador describes 'unprecedented new low' in France-Australia relationship
- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison shared a private text message from French President Emmanuel Macron in an attempt to defend himself from Macron's claims that he's a liar —which only further widened the rift between the two countries. "You don't behave like this on personal...
Nov 1, 2021 1:20 AM CDT
Macron on Sub Deal Drama: Australia Lied
French president says Australia PM was not truthful
- French President Emmanuel Macron spoke out this weekend on the submarine deal brouhaha between France and Australia. Asked by an Australian reporter on the sidelines of the G20 summit whether he thought Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison was untruthful with France, Macron replied, "I don't think, I...
of Deal to Macron
Oct 29, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Biden Concedes 'Clumsy' Handling of Deal to Macron
Leaders meet for the first time since security alliance left France in the cold
- Meeting with President Emmanuel Macron for the first time since a weapons deal with Australia caused a US-France rift , President Biden said the situation was mishandled by his administration. "It was not done with a lot of grace," Biden said in an appearance with Macron on Friday. France...
Australia Is Ready to Let
Citizens Leave Country Again
Oct 1, 2021 7:14 AM CDT
Australia Is Ready to Let Citizens Leave Country Again
But international tourists will have to wait
- Australia has outlined plans to lift a pandemic ban on its vaccinated citizens traveling overseas from November. But no date has yet been set for welcoming international tourists back. Travel restrictions that have trapped most Australians and permanent residents at home over the past 18 months will removed when 80%...
Biden, Macron Agree
Sep 22, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Biden, Macron Agree That Wasn't Handled Well
After presidents speak, France says its ambassador will return to Washington
- The US and France moved toward making up Wednesday, after Presidents Biden and Emmanuel Macron spoke on the phone, but the nations suggested they have a lot of work ahead to rebuild shattered trust. It was the first time the two had spoken since Biden announced a new security alliance...
Biden Announces Huge Deal
With 'That Fella Down Under'
Sep 16, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
Biden Announces Huge Deal With 'That Fella Down Under'
President appeared to forget Australian PM's name during AUKUS announcement
- President Biden announced a new Indo-Pacific security alliance with Britain and Australia on Wednesday, and in doing so, appeared to forget Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison's name. "Thank you, Boris," he said to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson as the latter dialed in from London for the...
Aussie PM Accused of
'Appalling Judgment' Over
Father's Day Trip
Sep 7, 2021 6:58 PM CDT
Aussie PM Accused of 'Appalling Judgment' Over Father's Day Trip
He was exempted from quarantine after weekend trip to visit family in Sydney
- Sunday was Father's Day in Australia—and Prime Minister Scott Morrison is taking flak for traveling to visit his family when more than half of the country is in lockdown. Morrison traveled from Canberra to New South Wales state, where his wife and two daughters live in Sydney, and...
UN Warning on
Great Barrier Reef
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 26, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
UN Warning on Great Barrier Reef Stuns Australia
Government to fight placement of World Heritage Site on UNESCO's 'in danger' list
- The UN's Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization wants the Great Barrier Reef added to a list of World Heritage Sites that are "in danger," while calling on Australia to address climate change with "accelerated action at all possible levels." Australia's government says it's...
Staffer Fired Over Lewd Act
at Aussie Lawmaker's Desk
Mar 23, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Staffer Fired Over Lewd Act at Aussie Lawmaker's Desk
PM Scott Morrison's bad month is only getting worse
- Tens of thousands of people marched across Australia last week to protest the sexual abuse and harassment of women, including the former adviser who says she was raped in March 2019 in Parliament House. Brittany Higgins—the first of five women to make such a claim, per the
to Alleged Rape in
Feb 16, 2021 7:11 AM CST
PM Responds to Alleged Rape in Australian Parliament
Adviser Brittany Higgins plans to reopen 2019 police complaint against colleague
- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has apologized to a former adviser who says she was raped in a parliamentary office. In a Monday interview with
, Brittany Higgins said she'd been working with Defence Industry Minister Linda Reynolds for a few weeks when she went out for drinks...
Google Makes a Big Threat
in Australian Dispute
Jan 22, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Google Makes a Big Threat in Australian Dispute
Firm says it will pull search engine from country if it makes tech giants pay for news content
- Google on Friday threatened to make its search engine unavailable in Australia if the government went ahead with plans to make tech giants pay for news content. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison quickly hit back, saying, "We don't respond to threats," per the AP . "Australia makes...
Aussie Calls Out to PM:
'Get Off My Grass'
Jun 4, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Aussie Calls Out to PM: 'Get Off My Grass'
Scott Morrison ensured reporters complied with the request
- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison was in the process of announcing a strategy to assist Australians in investing in their homes Thursday when he was interrupted by an annoyed homeowner who'd just invested in his lawn. "Can everyone get off the grass please," the man yelled from...
As Nation Burns,
Rage on Their PM
Jan 8, 2020 7:47 AM CST
As Nation Burns, Australians Turn Rage on Their PM
Anger is mounting over Scott Morrison's wildfire response
- The question a few weeks ago was " where the bloody hell " was Scott Morrison. The question now is whether Australia's prime minister can survive the crisis at home and serve out a full three-year term. As the AP reports, there's been an eruption of anger over...
'ScoMo, Where the
Bloody Hell Are You?'
Dec 20, 2019 11:53 AM CST
'ScoMo, Where the Bloody Hell Are You?'
Australian PM ending Hawaiian vacation after deaths of 2 more firefighters in wildfires
- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison was enjoying the Hawaiian sunshine while two volunteer firefighters died battling bushfires at home Thursday, prompting what Reuters calls a "rare" apology. "I deeply regret any offense caused to any of the many Australians affected by the terrible bushfires by my taking leave...
Nov 9, 2019 5:45 AM CST
Aussie PM: 'Devastating' Fires Are 'Absolutely Chilling'
100-plus wildfires blaze across New South Wales and Queensland, killing 3 and injuring dozens
- Wildfires razing Australia's drought-stricken east coast have left three people dead, several missing, and dozens injured, with over 150 homes destroyed, officials said Saturday. Around 1,500 firefighters were battling more than 70 fires across Australia's most populous state, New South Wales, with the most intense in the...
Trump Pushed a PM
to Help Mueller Probe
Sep 30, 2019 5:59 PM CDT
Trump Pushed a PM to Help Mueller Probe
Italy, other nations are being asked to assist with Barr's inquiry
- In May, Attorney General William Barr asked a US attorney to run an inquiry into the roots of the Russia election interference investigation. Sometime later, NBC reports, Barr decided other countries might be able to help, and he suggested that President Trump call Australia, US officials say. So the president...
Egg Bounces Off
Aussie PM's Head
May 7, 2019 3:13 AM CDT
Egg Bounces Off Aussie PM's Head
Woman charged with common assault
- Australia's prime minister was hit on the head with an egg and a woman was knocked off her feet Tuesday during a protest ahead of a general election next week. The egg appeared to strike Prime Minister Scott Morrison on the back of the head then bounce off without...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.