Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Jayme Closs Speaks
Oct 14, 2019 8:29 AM CDT
One Year After Abduction, Jayme Closs Speaks
'I feel stronger every day!' 14-year-old says, once more living the life of a 'typical teenager'
- A year ago Tuesday, Jayme Closs' parents were killed and the young teen was abducted from her Wisconsin home. Today, nine months after she escaped from her captor, the 14-year-old is doing well. "Jayme continues to work very hard on her emotional well-being," a family statement reveals, per...
Sheriff: Man May Have Been
Imitating Closs Abduction
Jul 30, 2019 1:47 PM CDT
Sheriff: Man May Have Been Imitating Closs Abduction
Ritchie German Jr. allegedly killed 4 in Wisconsin before taking his own life
- Authorities in Wisconsin say a man suspected of killing four people may have been imitating the abduction last year of teenager Jayme Closs . Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk said Tuesday that investigators may never know exactly what led to the Sunday attacks. He tells the AP that investigators believe Ritchie German Jr....
May 24, 2019 4:43 PM CDT
Judge Gives Kidnapper of Jayme Closs the Maximum
Victim wanted Jake Patterson 'locked up forever'
- A Wisconsin man was sentenced Friday to life in prison for kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killing her parents in a case that mystified authorities for months until the girl made a daring escape from the remote cabin where she was held for 88 days. Jake Patterson, 21, pleaded guilty...
Pleads Guilty in
Jayme Closs Case
Mar 27, 2019 3:12 PM CDT
'Emotional' Abductor Pleads Guilty in Jayme Closs Case
Jake Patterson faces life in prison for kidnapping, murders
- Jayme Closs and her family will not have to endure a trial: Jake Patterson has pleaded guilty in the 13-year-old's kidnapping as well as the murders of her parents. Patterson, 21, was arraigned on first-degree intentional homicide, kidnapping, and armed burglary charges Wednesday in Wisconsin and, per the
Don't Think Like
a Serial Killer'
Mar 8, 2019 11:04 AM CST
Girl's Accused Kidnapper: 'I Don't Think Like a Serial Killer'
Jake Patterson says he'll plead guilty as a way to shield Jayme Closs from a trial
- "The reason I did this is complicated." So writes the Wisconsin man awaiting trial in the October murders of James and Denise Closs and the kidnapping of their 13-year-old daughter, Jayme. Jake Patterson responded to questions sent by KARE11 reporter Lou Raguse with a letter of his own....
$25K in Reward Money
Will Go Directly to Jayme Closs
Jan 23, 2019 6:32 PM CST
$25K in Reward Money Will Go Directly to Jayme Closs
Hormel Foods and Jennie-O made announcement regarding plans
- Hormel Foods and Jennie-O say they'll donate the $25,000 it had offered in reward money for information leading to Jayme Closs directly to the 13-year-old girl, the AP reports. Jayme was kidnapped from her home in Barron, Wisconsin, on Oct. 15 and both of her parents were killed....
The Million-Dollar Question
in Closs Case Is Worth $50K
Jan 17, 2019 9:35 AM CST
The Million-Dollar Question in Closs Case Is Worth $50K
Who gets the reward money?
- It's the million-dollar question—or, more accurately, the $50,000 one: Since Jayme Closs ended up rescuing herself from captivity, where does the reward money go? It looks like there are four possibilities: no one, Jayme herself, the woman she approached asking for help, or the couple who then...
Deputies Passed a Single Car
en Route to Closs Home
Jan 16, 2019 11:44 AM CST
Deputies Passed a Single Car en Route to Closs Home
It was allegedly Jake Patterson's car
- During Jake Patterson's arraignment on Monday, Jayme Closs' family sat on the prosecution's side in court. So too did Patterson's father, at least until he was asked by a deputy to move to the defense's side. CNN reports it tried to speak with Patrick Patterson Tuesday...
Suspect Allegedly Told Police
How He Chose Jayme Closs
Jan 14, 2019 2:36 PM CST
Suspect Allegedly Told Police How He Chose Jayme Closs
Criminal complaint says Jake Thomas Patterson saw her get on a school bus
- Jayme Closs told police she didn't know Jake Thomas Patterson in the slightest. A criminal complaint filed Monday details how the man accused of kidnapping the 13-year-old allegedly knew her. The AP reports the complaint states that Patterson told investigators that he had to stop behind a school bus...
Jayme Closs' Family: We're
Not Pressing for Details
Jan 14, 2019 11:05 AM CST
Jayme Closs' Family: We're Not Pressing for Details
Aunt recalls the moment she heard the good news
- The family of Jayme Closs says it's not pressing the 13-year-old for details on her three-month ordeal . "We have to take little steps," one of her aunts, Sue Allard, tells CBS News . "Jayme, when she's ready to talk, she will." Allard; another aunt, Lynn...
Awaiting Jayme Closs: Her
Dog Molly, a Steak Dinner
Jan 12, 2019 7:30 AM CST
Awaiting Jayme Closs: Her Dog Molly, a Steak Dinner
Abducted teen whose parents were murdered returns to Wis. hometown and an ecstatic family
- Friday was a "glorious day" in Barron, Wis., as officials offered details on Jayme Closs' escape from her captor. The good news continued after the Friday presser with a long-awaited reunion between Jayme and her family, and there's a new photo of the smiling 13-year-old that's making...
A 'Glorious Day' in Jayme Closs'
Hometown, a Suspect Named
Jan 11, 2019 11:21 AM CST
A 'Glorious Day' in Jayme Closs' Hometown, a Suspect Named
Jake Thomas Patterson, 21, has been charged with kidnapping Wisconsin teen, killing her parents
- Jayme Closs is alive , and new details are emerging. The 13-year-old Wisconsin girl, who went missing in October from her Barron home, where her parents were found shot dead, turned up about 60 miles away near Gordon Thursday after fleeing her captor. In what Barron Area School District Superintendent Diane...
Missing Teen Jayme Closs
Found Alive After 3 Months
Jan 11, 2019 6:35 AM CST
Missing Teen Jayme Closs Found Alive After 3 Months
Jayme Closs fled Wisconsin kidnapper
- Amazing news from Wisconsin, where relatives of 13-year-old Jayme Closs say their prayers have been answered. Jayme has been found alive almost three months after her parents were found dead in their home , the Barron County Sheriff's Department announced in a Facebook post late Thursday. The sheriff's department...
FBI Examines More Video in
Search for Wisconsin Girl, 13
Nov 14, 2018 4:49 PM CST
FBI Examines More Video in Search for Wisconsin Girl, 13
Jayme Closs' parents were found dead in October
- The FBI is examining additional surveillance video taken from an expanded area around the Wisconsin home where a couple was shot and killed and their daughter was apparently abducted, the sheriff leading the investigation said Wednesday. Jayme Closs, 13, disappeared early on Oct. 15, when sheriff's deputies responding to...
Cops: Burglar Caught
With Missing Girl's Clothes
Oct 30, 2018 11:07 AM CDT
Cops: Burglar Caught With Missing Girl's Clothes
But authorities say Kyle Jaenke-Annis isn't suspect in Jayme Closs's disappearance
- Prosecutors have charged a man with burglarizing a Wisconsin home where a couple was killed and their 13-year-old daughter went missing , but authorities say he's not a suspect in the case. Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald says 32-year-old Kyle Jaenke-Annis was arrested over the weekend at the home of...
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.