Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New Zealand mosque shootings
Stories 1 - 20 |
Film's 'White Saviors'
View of Attack
Jun 14, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Film's 'White Saviors' View of Attack Angers NZ
Project follows Ardern's response, not Muslim victims or families
- Plans for a film about the mosque massacre in Christchurch have met with shock and anger in New Zealand over the film's direction. The Hollywood film,
They Are Us
, centers on Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's reaction and leadership after the attack —not on any of the Muslim...
Mosque Shooter's Sentence
Is a First for New Zealand
Aug 27, 2020 1:56 AM CDT
Mosque Shooter's Sentence Is a First for New Zealand
Brenton Harrison Tarrant sentenced to life without possibility of parole
- The white supremacist who slaughtered 51 worshippers at two New Zealand mosques was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without the possibility of parole, the first time a court in the country had sentenced someone to prison for the remainder of their life, the AP reports. Judge Cameron Mander said...
Gunman Could Get Sentence
NZ Has Never Imposed Before
Aug 24, 2020 2:03 PM CDT
Gunman Could Get Sentence NZ Has Never Imposed Before
Survivors confront mosque shooter Brenton Tarrant during sentencing hearing
- Brenton Tarrant has admitted carrying out the worst mass shooting in New Zealand's history—and he could receive the harshest sentence the country has imposed since it abolished the death penalty decades ago. The 29-year-old Australian appeared in a Christchurch court Monday on the first day of a four-day...
Gunman Suddenly Changes Plea
in New Zealand Mosque Attacks
Mar 25, 2020 8:42 PM CDT
Gunman Suddenly Changes Plea in New Zealand Mosque Attacks
Defendant admits to killing 51 people in Christchurch
- The man who committed the worst atrocity in New Zealand's modern history when he slaughtered 51 worshippers at two Christchurch mosques unexpectedly pleaded guilty to all charges Thursday. The attacks targeting people praying at the mosques a year ago shocked the nation and prompted new laws banning the deadliest...
Dec 22, 2019 7:42 AM CST
NZ Collects 50K Guns in Buyback
But critics say many owners illegally stashed their now-banned weapons instead of turning them in
- New Zealand authorities said Saturday their country will be safer after owners handed in more than 50,000 guns during a buyback program following a ban on assault weapons. But critics say the process was flawed and many owners illegally stashed their firearms, reports the AP . The government banned the...
Letter From Alleged Mosque
Gunman Appears on 4Chan
Aug 14, 2019 4:50 AM CDT
Letter From Alleged Mosque Gunman Appears on 4Chan
'This cannot happen again,' prison minister says
- New Zealand officials admitted Wednesday that they made a mistake by allowing the man accused of killing 51 people at two Christchurch mosques to send a hand-written letter from his prison cell. The six-page letter from Brenton Tarrant was posted this week on the website 4chan, which has become notorious...
More Than 10K Guns
Have Been Turned Over
in New Zealand Buyback
Aug 12, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
More Than 10K Guns Have Been Turned Over in New Zealand Buyback
Program was approved after mosque shootings
- New Zealand has bought back more than 10,000 guns in the first month of a government program approved after the shootings at two mosques in March. The country now prohibits ownership of most semi-automatic weapons. Another 1,269 firearms have been turned in under an amnesty provision, per the...
Aug 12, 2019 2:50 PM CDT
Suspected Mosque Shooter Allegedly Killed Stepsister
Philip Manshaus was seen bruised and smirking in court
- A Norwegian man suspected of killing his stepsister and then storming an Oslo-area mosque with guns appeared in court Monday with a smirk on his bruised face. Security experts believe Philip Manshaus is the latest example of an extremist who was radicalized by far-right conspiracy theories spread online, particularly the...
Man Who Shared
Video Gets 21 Months
Jun 18, 2019 12:24 AM CDT
Man Who Shared Mosque Shooting Video Gets 21 Months
Judge accused him glorifying massacre
- A Christchurch businessman who shared a video of worshippers being slaughtered at a New Zealand mosque was sentenced on Tuesday to 21 months in prison. Philip Arps had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of distributing the video, which was livestreamed on Facebook by a gunman on March 15 as...
NZ Mosque Suspect Smirks,
Doesn't Speak, During Hearing
Jun 14, 2019 3:00 AM CDT
NZ Mosque Suspect Smirks, Doesn't Speak, During Hearing
Brenton Tarrant's lawyer enters not guilty pleas
- The man accused of the New Zealand mosque attacks smirked as his lawyer entered not guilty pleas to terrorism, murder, and attempted murder charges Friday before a judge who set his trial for next May. The courtroom was filled with 80 survivors and family members of the 51 who were...
'Egg Boy' Donates $70K
to Mosque Shooting Survivors
May 29, 2019 2:23 AM CDT
'Egg Boy' Donates $70K to Mosque Shooting Survivors
'It wasn't mine to keep,' writes kid who egged Australian politician who blamed immigration
- After "Egg Boy" Will Connolly cracked an egg on the head of far-right Australian Sen. Fraser Anning in March, supporters raised almost $100,000 Australian dollars to pay his legal fees—and "buy more eggs." The teenager says he isn't keeping a penny. The 17-year-old, who...
7 Weeks After Christchurch
Massacre, a New Death Toll
May 3, 2019 12:20 AM CDT
7 Weeks After Christchurch Massacre, a New Death Toll
51st victim dies after surgery
- A Turkish man wounded in the Christchurch mosque shootings seven weeks ago died late Thursday in Christchurch Hospital, raising the death toll to 51, authorities in New Zealand and Turkey confirmed. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Friday the sad news would be felt across both countries, the AP...
ISIS Names 7 Suicide Bombers
in 'Infidel Holiday' Attack
Apr 23, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
ISIS Names 7 Suicide Bombers in 'Infidel Holiday' Attack
Islamic State claims responsibility for Sri Lanka bombings
- Authorities in Sri Lanka have implicated a small extremist group called National Thowfeek Jamaath for the Easter weekend bombings . But how could a small group pull off a coordinated attack of such sophistication? The answer might have arrived via the Islamic State's Amaq news agency, reports the
New Zealand's Strict
New Gun Laws Take Effect
Apr 11, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
New Zealand's Strict New Gun Laws Take Effect
They passed by a 119-1 vote
- New Zealand's governor general on Thursday formally signed into effect sweeping gun laws outlawing military-style weapons, less than a month after a man used such guns to kill 50 people and wound dozens at two mosques in Christchurch. Governor General Patsy Reddy signed the bill as police said a...
Jacinda Ardern: My
Actions Were 'Intuitive'
Apr 6, 2019 7:36 AM CDT
Jacinda Ardern: My Actions Were 'Intuitive'
New Zealand prime minister reflects on her handling of mosque shootings
- New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern has been praised for her handling of the aftermath of the mosque massacres in her nation. The Dalai Lama, for instance, called her "wonderful" because "she really tried to tackle this problem through nonviolence, through compassion and through mutual respect," per...
NZ Shooting Suspect 'Has
No Emotion' During Hearing
Apr 5, 2019 12:46 AM CDT
NZ Shooting Suspect 'Has No Emotion' During Hearing
Man charged in mosque shootings ordered to undergo mental health check
- A New Zealand judge has ordered that the man accused of killing 50 people at two Christchurch mosques undergo two mental health assessments to determine if he's fit to stand trial. High Court judge Cameron Mander made the order during a Friday hearing in which 28-year-old Australian Brenton Harrison...
Tight Restrictions Surround
Mosque Shooting Suspect
Apr 4, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Tight Restrictions Surround Mosque Shooting Suspect
Brenton Tarrant will make 2nd court appearance Friday
- Police say the man accused of the Christchurch mosque attacks will face 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges at his second court appearance on Friday. Australian citizen Brenton Harrison Tarrant was charged with one representative count of murder after his arrest the day of the March 15 massacre,...
Muslim Group Sues
Over Shooting Videos
Mar 26, 2019 6:14 AM CDT
Muslim Group Sues Facebook, YouTube Over Shooting Videos
French Muslims beat NZ group to the punch
- A group representing Muslims in France is suing Facebook and YouTube over footage of the mosque shootings in New Zealand. The French Council of the Muslim Faith accuses the platforms, which raced to delete a livestream and copies that sprung up in the aftermath, of "broadcasting a message with...
Cops: Note Found
After Calif. Mosque
Arson Cited NZ
Mar 25, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
Cops: Note Found After Calif. Mosque Arson Cited NZ
'We won't stop praying,' Islamic spokesman in Escondido says
- But for one person who wasn't sleeping, a frightening and dangerous incident over the weekend at a California mosque could have turned tragic. Seven people were inside the Islamic Center of Escondido early Sunday when, shortly after 3am, the lone person not snoozing noticed flames and woke the others,...
New Zealand Falls Silent
for Muslim Call to Prayer
Mar 22, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
New Zealand Falls Silent for Muslim Call to Prayer
'New Zealand mourns with you. We are one'
- New Zealanders observed the Muslim call to prayer Friday in reflecting on the moment one week ago when 50 worshippers at two Christchurch mosques were slain —an act that an imam told the crowd of thousands had left the country broken-hearted but not broken. In a day without precedent,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.