Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 33 |
sunday talk shows
Jan 12, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Defense Sec. 'Didn't See' Rationale for Trump's Big Move
And other quotes around the Sunday dial
- Was there a rationale for killing Iran's top general? Defense Secretary Mark Esper seemed to convey mixed messages Sunday on that hot-button topic, the
New York Times
reports. On CBS'
Face the Nation
, Esper cast some doubt on President Trump's claim that he ordered Maj. Gen. Qassim Soleimani'...
Defense Chief Appears at Odds
With Trump on Cultural Sites
Jan 7, 2020 6:17 AM CST
Defense Chief Appears at Odds With Trump on Cultural Sites
Esper says they would not be targeted in Iran under 'laws of armed conflict'
- President Trump has threatened to hit sites important to Iranian culture "VERY FAST AND VERY HARD" if the country retaliates for the killing of Gen. Qasem Soleimani—but the Pentagon is not backing him up. Defense Secretary Mark Esper ruled out striking Iranian cultural sites Monday, saying, "We...
Pentagon Denies Withdrawal,
Blames 'Poorly Written' Letter
Jan 6, 2020 5:06 PM CST
Pentagon Denies Withdrawal, Blames 'Poorly Written' Letter
US is just repositioning troops, Milley says
- Top Pentagon leaders said Monday that the US has no plans to withdraw troops from Iraq, despite a draft letter from a senior military officer that appeared to suggest a withdrawal was being planned. Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters the US is "...
Dec 10, 2019 7:01 PM CST
Judge Rules Against Trump Administration in Border Wall Case
Federal judge says $3.6B in Pentagon funds can't be diverted to wall construction
- The secretary of defense in September authorized the diverting of $3.6 billion in Pentagon funds to build the border wall, but on Tuesday, a federal judge in Texas blocked the Trump administration from doing that, CNN reports. El Paso County, Texas, and Border Network for Human Rights had sued...
Thousands More US Troops
Could Be Sent to Middle East
Dec 5, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Thousands More US Troops Could Be Sent to Middle East
Esper 'intends to make changes' to counter Iran, official says
- The Pentagon is considering sending several thousand additional troops to the Middle East to deter Iranian aggression, amid reports of escalating violence in Iran and continued meddling by Tehran in Iraq, Syria and other parts of the region. John Rood, defense undersecretary for policy, told senators Thursday that Defense Secretary...
by Navy Leader
on SEAL Case
Nov 25, 2019 2:13 PM CST
Defense Chief 'Flabbergasted' by Navy Leader on SEAL Case
Mark Esper also confirms that Trump ordered him to protect SEAL Edward Gallagher
- The saga of the newly ousted Navy commander and a Navy SEAL continues to unfold. On Monday, defense chief Mark Esper revealed that President Trump ordered him to make sure Edward Gallagher was allowed to retire as a SEAL with full benefits, reports the Hill . "I spoke with the...
From Trump, Despite
Nov 16, 2019 5:30 AM CST
Pardons, Promotion From Trump, Despite Pentagon Pushback
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he had a 'robust discussion' with the president on this
- President Trump has pardoned a former US Army commando set to stand trial next year in the killing of a suspected Afghan bomb-maker and a former Army lieutenant convicted of murder for ordering his men to fire upon three Afghans, killing two, the White House announced late Friday. The commander...
US Troops Leaving
Syria Will Head to Iraq
Oct 20, 2019 8:19 AM CDT
US Troops Leaving Syria Will Head to Iraq
In Kabul, Defense Secretary Mark Esper says troops will not be coming home
- Defense Secretary Mark Esper says that all US troops leaving Syria will go to western Iraq and the American military will continue operations against the Islamic State to prevent its resurgence. Esper, who arrived in Kabul on Sunday, did not rule out the idea that US forces would conduct counterterrorism...
SecDef: US Troops Caught
Between Advancing Armies
Oct 13, 2019 8:39 AM CDT
SecDef: US Troops Caught Between Advancing Armies
Esper says US 'preparing to evacuate' troops from Syrian north
- Amid growing chaos in Syria, the US is "preparing to evacuate" and President Trump has ordered all US troops to withdraw from the country's north to avoid a conflict between Turkey and Kurdish fighters, Defense Secretary Mark Esper told CBS'
Face the Nation
on Sunday. The approximately 1,...
Pentagon: We're Sending Jets,
Other Air Defense to Saudis
Oct 11, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
Pentagon: We're Sending Jets, Other Air Defense to Saudis
Defense Secretary Mark Esper announces move after Iran claims 2 missiles struck its tanker
- The US will send fighter jets and additional air defenses to Saudi Arabia to defend the kingdom against Iran amid heightened tensions between the two Middle Eastern adversaries, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Friday. Esper announced the deployment of several dozen fighter jets, along with other aircraft and additional air...
Democrats Widen Search
for Info About Ukraine
Oct 7, 2019 1:26 PM CDT
Democrats Widen Search for Info About Ukraine
They subpoena Pentagon, OMB for documents related to held-up financial aid
- House Democrats issued more subpoenas on Monday about the White House decision to delay aid to Ukraine. The leaders of three House committees sent letters to defense chief Mark Esper and acting Office of Management and Budget director Russell Vought demanding any documents related to the financial aid, reports the...
US Sending Troops
to Saudi Arabia, UAE
Sep 21, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
US Sending Troops to Saudi Arabia, UAE
No military strike against Iran yet, though
- The Pentagon on Friday announced it will deploy additional US troops and missile defense equipment to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, as President Trump has at least for now put off any immediate military strike on Iran in response to the attack on the Saudi oil industry. Defense...
The Pentagon Finally
Gets a Permanent Leader
Jul 23, 2019 12:03 PM CDT
The Pentagon Finally Gets a Permanent Leader
Mark Esper confirmed by Senate as defense secretary
- The Senate has confirmed Army veteran and former defense industry lobbyist Mark Esper as secretary of defense. The 55-year-old won Senate confirmation on Tuesday by a vote of 90-8 and is to be sworn in by day's end. His confirmation ends a stretch of seven months the Pentagon didn'...
Stories 21 - 33 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.