Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 2,830,856+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Dayton Killer Had Cocaine, Alcohol in His System: Coroner
Police bullets hit two of the victims
- The gunman who killed nine people in Dayton had cocaine, alcohol and an anti-anxiety drug in his system when he shot more than 30 people in the city's Oregon district, a coroner said Thursday. Connor Betts was shot by police at least 24 times on Aug. 4, an autopsy...
Dayton Gunman's Parents: We're Sorry for Obituary
Death notice describing shooter as 'funny' and 'articulate' has been taken down
- It's natural to want to say flattering things about loved ones in their death notices. But the family of Connor Betts, the gunman who killed nine in Dayton, Ohio, earlier this month, is now apologizing for what they say was an "insensitive" obituary for him. The BBC reports...
Dayton Gunman Knew His Sister Was in the Area
But authorities still don't know whether he planned to kill her
- The gunman in the Dayton, Ohio, shooting that left nine people dead in the wee hours of August 4 knew his sister—who was one of the first killed during his 32-second rampage—was in the area at the time. But, the city's police chief said Tuesday, investigators have...
Feds: Dayton Shooter's Friend Bought Gear for Him
Ethan Kollie faces charges of lying on firearms form by not disclosing a drug offense
- A friend of the mass shooter in Dayton is now facing federal charges, though he is not being accused of knowing about the attack. Federal prosecutors say Ethan Kollie, 24, bought body armor for Connor Betts, as well as a high-capacity ammunition magazine and an attachment for the AR-15-style gun...
Fearing Dayton Shooter Would Kill Him, He Shielded Another
Meet 'the best boyfriend in the world,' Camryn Crowder of Ohio
- On the first night out with his partner since the birth of their 3-week-old daughter, Camryn Crowder suddenly saw a "guy pointing a gun." That's when he dropped to the ground Sunday in Dayton, Ohio—but not before pushing his girlfriend to the ground first so he...
2 Opposing Takes on Trump's El Paso Visit
Critic sees it as possible turning point against him, while supporter sees Democrats' hypocrisy
- President Trump's visits on Wednesday to El Paso and Dayton to meet with victims of the cities' mass shootings have led to polar-opposite reactions. Two examples:
New York Times
, El Paso native Richard Parker writes that Trump "seemed to shrink" in the city. "
Dayton Gunman Left Bar 45 Minutes Before Sister
CNN has the security camera footage
- Less than two hours before killing nine people in Dayton, Ohio, 24-year-old Connor Betts went out to a bar. Video footage from Blind Bob's bar shows Betts entering around 11:09pm Saturday, CNN reports, noting the camera clock is 11 minutes fast. Betts, who'd also been at the...
Trump to Face Protests in El Paso, Dayton
He plans to meet with first responders, shooting victims
- President Trump says he is going to visit Dayton and El Paso on Wednesday "to meet with First Responders, Law Enforcement, and some of the victims of the terrible shootings"—but protesters in both cities say he will not be welcome. Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley, a Democrat, said...
On Date With Dayton Gunman, He Showed Her Shooting Video
And more about Connor Betts
- The mass shooter killed in Dayton, Ohio, appears to have been a self-described "leftist" who retweeted posts in support of Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. Mixed among selfies and nonpolitical memes on a now-suspended Twitter account linked to Connor Betts were retweeted posts describing ICE agents as "...
Big Unknown in Dayton: Did Gunman Mean to Kill Sister?
Motive is also unclear at this point
- In a Monday update on the shooting that killed 9 people in Dayton, Ohio, early Sunday, Police Chief Richard Biehl made clear that many unknowns remain. One of the big ones: motive. Another, per Biehl: Whether gunman Connor Betts targeted his 22-year-old sister Megan, who was among the dead. "...
Trump, Biden Goof on Shooting Locations
As the president places some blame on 'gruesome and grizzly video games'
- The president on Monday spoke out against the weekend shootings in Texas and Ohio, first on Twitter and then in a 10-minute address from the Diplomatic Reception Room. Trump tweeted in part that "Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying.... ....this legislation with...
Dayton Shooter Began Night With Sister, Later Killed Her
Gunman was killed just 30 seconds after firing first shot
- Megan Betts, 22, was among the nine people killed early Sunday in Dayton, Ohio . She was the only one of them who also began her night with the gunman. Police say Betts traveled to the downtown area in the same car as the shooter, her 24-year-old brother Connor. They went...
Neil deGrasse Tyson Ripped Apart Over Shooting Tweet
He shared the 'data'
- Like so many other Americans, Neil deGrasse Tyson took to Twitter on Sunday afternoon to tweet about the El Paso and Dayton shootings. His words weren't well received. The astrophysicist wrote :
"In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings. On average, across any
Popular on Newser
Trump at Rushmore: Protests, Few Masks, a Miffed Neil Young
Trump Jr. GF Gets Bad News Before Mount Rushmore Event
Shop Owner Posts Edgy Mask Sign That Goes Viral
Florida Has Shocking Coronavirus Numbers
Trump Niece: Here's Why the Case Against Me Is Nuts
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.