Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'It Was a
Jun 8, 2021 1:34 PM CDT
Hacked CEO: 'It Was a Complicated Password'
Colonial chief executive is grilled by Senate panel over last month's pipeline hack
- It may not be the strongest of defenses, but it was the best that the CEO of Colonial Pipeline had to offer on Tuesday. Addressing a Senate panel over the hacking that shut down the flow of gasoline to parts of the US last month, Joseph Blount acknowledged that hackers...
Feds Seize Payment
Made to Pipeline Hackers
Jun 7, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Feds Seize Payment Made to Pipeline Hackers
FBI led operation to recover Colonial Pipeline ransom payment from crypto wallet
- The hackers who targeted the operator of a vital US pipeline system in a ransomware attack have lost most of their ill-gotten gains, the Justice Department says. Officials said Monday that a new FBI ransomware taskforce led an operation to recover ransom paid in cryptocurrency by Colonial Pipeline, the AP...
Search,' a Reveal on
Colonial Pipeline Breach
Jun 5, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
After 'Exhaustive Search,' a Reveal on Colonial Pipeline Breach
Cybersecurity expert: Compromised password was plugged into dormant VPN account to gain access
- It all came down to one password. That's the finding of a cybersecurity expert commissioned by Colonial Pipeline to find out how hackers were able to shut down the nation's largest fuel pipeline, reports Bloomberg . According to Charles Carmakal of Mandiant, part of the FireEye cybersecurity firm, hackers...
City: We Know Who Hacked Us
May 20, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
City: We Know Who Hacked Us
Cyberattack is similar to the one against Colonial Pipeline, Tulsa says
- A cybersecurity attack on the city of Tulsa's computer system was similar to an attack on the Colonial Pipeline, officials said Thursday. The hacker is known, the AP reports. "I can't share anything other than we know who did it," Mayor G.T. Bynum said, adding...
Colonial Pipeline CEO
Confirms Ransom Was Paid
May 19, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Colonial Pipeline CEO Confirms Ransom Was Paid
'It was the right thing to do for the country'
- The CEO of Colonial Pipeline has confirmed that he made the "highly controversial decision" to pay ransom to hackers who breached the company's systems , causing major problems with the East Coast's gas supply. "I didn’t make it lightly. I will admit that I wasn’t...
Granholm: Gas Lines Should
Be Back to Normal Quickly
May 15, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Granholm: Gas Lines Should Be Back to Normal Quickly
Biden official urges drivers not to hoard though fuel pipeline is back in business
- US Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm says the nation is "over the hump" on gas shortages following a ransomware cyberattack that forced a shutdown of the nation’s largest gasoline pipeline. Problems peaked Thursday night, and service should return to normal in most areas by the end of the weekend,...
Colonial Paid Ransom
to Hackers: Bloomberg
May 13, 2021 12:39 PM CDT
Colonial Paid Ransom to Hackers: Bloomberg
Drivers in Southeastern states can expect 'headaches' for another week or longer
- Colonial Pipeline said this week it had no intention of paying ransom to the hackers who crippled its fuel shipments . So how did the company manage to begin restoring operations on Wednesday? As it turns out, Colonial paid a ransom after all, reports Bloomberg . The outlet says the company shelled...
Colonial Pipeline Is
Back in Business
May 12, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
Colonial Pipeline Is Back in Business
Operations were restarted Wednesday
- The nation's largest fuel pipeline restarted operations Wednesday, days after it was forced to shut down by a gang of hackers. The disruption caused long lines at gas stations in the Southeast due to distribution problems and panic-buying, draining supplies at thousands of gas stations. Colonial initiated the restart...
Feds Warn Against Hoarding
Gasoline in Plastic Bags
May 12, 2021 1:49 PM CDT
Feds Warn Against Hoarding Gasoline in Plastic Bags
GasBuddy app buckles under demand
- The government says there's no need for Americans to be hoarding gasoline—especially not if they're going to be putting it in plastic bags. "Do not fill plastic bags with gasoline," the Consumer Product Safety Commission said in a tweet Wednesday. Other tweets urged consumers to...
Gas Panic-Buying Becomes
May 11, 2021 6:32 PM CDT
Gas Panic-Buying Becomes 'Self-Fulfilling Prophecy'
Pipeline shutdown is now in its fifth day
- More than 1,000 gas stations in the Southeast reported running out of fuel, primarily because of what analysts say is unwarranted panic-buying among drivers, as the shutdown of a major pipeline by a gang of hackers entered its fifth day Tuesday. Government officials acted swiftly to waive safety and...
Clock Is Ticking on Pipeline
May 10, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
Clock Is Ticking on Pipeline After Cyberattack
If Colonial system isn't back up in a few days, gasoline prices are likely to rise
- The operators of the biggest US fuel pipeline were scrambling Monday to resume operations after a cyberattack forced a shutdown on Friday. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that because of existing gasoline inventories, the impact shouldn't be too dire if Colonial can confine the outage to less than five...
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.