Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Supreme Court Won't Hear
States' Vaccine Mandate Case
Oct 3, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Supreme Court Won't Hear States' Vaccine Mandate Case
Missouri led opposition to Biden rule for health care workers
- The Supreme Court on Monday declined to take up an appeal brought by 10 states challenging a federal vaccine mandate for health care workers. The states' case, led by Republican-run Missouri, sought to toss out a rule imposed by President Biden in November 2021, Reuters reports, that applies to workers...
They Claimed 'New World Order'
on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Aug 31, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
They Claimed 'New World Order' on COVID; Judge Hit Them Hard
Anti-vaxxers fueled by conspiracy theories must pay Aussie federal, state gov'ts $150K in legal fees
- Every Australian state except for one, as well as one territory and the nation's federal government, is set to recoup tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees after a federal judge ruled against an anti-vaxxer group, saying the members had failed to prove their claims that COVID mandates...
Have Shots to
Play in US Open
Jun 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Djokovic Won't Have Shots to Play in US Open
That decision would make Wimbledon the defending champion's last Grand Slam tournament of year
- Novak Djokovic knows that, as things stand now, Wimbledon will be his last Grand Slam tournament of 2022, because he will not be able to play in the US Open—he has not received any COVID-19 shots and can't enter the US as an unvaccinated foreigner. "That,"...
3 Cadets Who Refused Vaccine
Won't Be Commissioned
May 21, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
3 Cadets Who Refused Vaccine Won't Be Commissioned
Air Force Academy says they'll still receive bachelor degrees, while a fourth had a change of heart
: Three cadets who refused to be vaccinated against COVID-19 will receive bachelor degrees, the Air Force Academy said Saturday, but they won't be commissioned as military officers. The secretary of the Air Force will decide whether the three will have to reimburse the federal government for their education...
Court Backs Biden's Mandate
for Federal Worker Vaccinations
Apr 7, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Court Backs Biden's Mandate for Federal Worker Vaccinations
Injunction had put the requirement on hold in January
- President Biden's requirement that all federal employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 was upheld Thursday by a federal appeals court. In a 2-1 ruling, a panel of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a lower court and ordered dismissal of a lawsuit challenging the mandate. The ruling, a rare...
As Canada's Truckers Fight
Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
Jan 28, 2022 1:18 PM CST
As Canada's Truckers Fight Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
'Canadian truckers rule' was Tesla CEO's tweet as drivers headed to Ottawa protest
- Elon Musk has been inserting himself lately into conversations about crypto , but the Tesla and SpaceX CEO shifted gears late in the week to lend support to an entirely different cause. "Canadian truckers rule" was his thumbs-up tweet Thursday, directed toward big-rig drivers headed toward Ottawa for an anti-vaccine...
Evangeline Lilly Says She
Was at RFK Jr. Anti-Vax Rally
Jan 28, 2022 3:48 AM CST
Evangeline Lilly Says She Was at RFK Jr. Anti-Vax Rally
She says she was there to support 'bodily sovereignty'
- Almost two years after she apologized for saying she wouldn't self-isolate or change her daily routine because of the pandemic, Evangeline Lilly is back in the news over her COVID-related stance. In an Instagram post Thursday, the Canadian actress confirmed that she was at an anti-vaccine mandate protest in...
Biden's Controversial Vaccine
Mandate Officially Withdrawn
Jan 26, 2022 12:53 AM CST
Biden's Controversial Vaccine Mandate Officially Withdrawn
Supreme Court had blocked it earlier this month
- Following the blocking of his vaccine mandate for large businesses by the Supreme Court earlier this month, President Biden is withdrawing the OSHA regulation entirely. The US Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration announced Tuesday it is dropping the requirement that companies with more than 100 employees...
Vaccine Mandates in DC
Jan 23, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Thousands Protest Vaccine Mandates in DC
Organizer says he wants to change image of opponents
- Thousands of people protested vaccine mandates Sunday on the National Mall—an island of largely maskless demonstrators in Washington, which has embraced mask and vaccine requirements in its fight against the omicron variant. Demonstrators made their feelings about leaders perceived as enemies clear—a parked bus was covered with photos...
Trump Appointee Blocks
a Biden Vaccine Mandate
Jan 21, 2022 2:44 PM CST
Trump Appointee Blocks a Biden Vaccine Mandate
Judge issues injunction, ruling requirement for federal workers exceeds president's authority
- A US judge in Texas issued a nationwide injunction on Friday barring the federal government from enforcing President Biden's requirement that federal workers without qualifying medical or religious exemptions be vaccinated against COVID-19. Judge Jeffrey Brown, who was appointed to the bench for the Southern District of Texas by...
Some Customers Object to
Carhartt's Vaccine Mandate
Jan 19, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Some Customers Object to Carhartt's Vaccine Mandate
CEO says SCOTUS ruling doesn't affect company's stance on workplace safety
- The Supreme Court has blocked the administration's COVID vaccine requirement for large companies—but it's staying in place at Carhartt, despite objections from some of the workwear firm's customers. Conservative commentators called for a boycott of the Michigan-based company after a memo explaining the policy was shared...
After Health Official's
Fla. DOH Takes Action
Jan 19, 2022 7:51 AM CST
After Health Official's Vaccination Email, Fla. DOH Takes Action
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County's health chief, put on leave after encouraging staffers to get vaccinated
- Throughout the pandemic, Florida's Dr. Raul Pino has been the public face for Orange County's Department of Health, appearing during news briefings to offer updates on case numbers and vaccinations. The county health director may not be on camera for a while, though: The state DOH announced Pino...
Companies Take Ruling on
Mandate Under Advisement
Jan 13, 2022 7:25 PM CST
Companies Take Ruling on Mandate Under Advisement
Employers could impose their own rule after Supreme Court decision
- Everyone seemed to welcome or lament the Supreme Court's decision Thursday on the Biden administration's vaccine-or-testing mandate for large companies—except the companies. Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican leader in the effort to block it, said the ruling is "a big win for workers across...
Supreme Court Gives Biden
a Win and a Loss on COVID
Jan 13, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Supreme Court Gives Biden a Win and a Loss on COVID
Blocks vaccine mandate at large businesses, allows mandate for health-care workers
- The Supreme Court has stopped the Biden administration from enforcing a requirement that employees at large businesses be vaccinated against COVID-19 or undergo weekly testing. At the same time, the court is allowing the administration to proceed with a vaccine mandate for most health-care workers in the US, per the...
'Vindicated' United CEO: COVID
Not Killing Workers Anymore
Jan 11, 2022 4:27 PM CST
'Vindicated' United CEO: COVID Not Killing Workers Anymore
Scott Kirby says no vaccinated workers have died in last 8 weeks
- If you thought the rash of canceled flights over the holidays was the end of it, United Airlines CEO offered a cold dose of reality on Tuesday. In a memo to employees, Scott Kirby explained the company is "reducing our near-term schedules to make sure we have the staffing...
2 Lawyers Arguing Against
COVID Mandate Test Positive
Jan 7, 2022 3:45 PM CST
2 Lawyers Arguing Against COVID Mandate Test Positive
They had to present by phone before the Supreme Court on Friday
- Fully vaccinated and mostly masked, the Supreme Court's conservative majority appeared skeptical Friday of the Biden administration's authority to impose a vaccine-or-testing requirement on large employers. The court seemed more open to a separate vaccine mandate for most health care workers, the AP reports. The arguments in the...
Biden's Vaccine Mandates
in Hands of Supreme Court
Jan 7, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Biden's Vaccine Mandates in Hands of Supreme Court
Ruling could come within days, or perhaps weeks
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration states the federal vaccination or testing requirements for businesses with 100 or more employees, affecting more than 84 million workers, will push 22 million people to get vaccinated, save more than 6,500 lives, and prevent 250,000 hospitalizations owing to COVID-19 over the...
Fauci: Time to Consider
Flight Vaccine Mandate
Dec 27, 2021 1:18 PM CST
Fauci: Time to Consider Flight Vaccine Mandate
He says feds should 'seriously consider' vaccine rule for domestic flights
- With COVID cases surging, Dr. Anthony Fauci says the federal government should seriously consider a vaccine mandate for domestic flights. The top White House medical adviser said Monday that it would be "reasonable" to consider the mandate, Bloomberg reports. "When you make vaccination a requirement, that’s another...
SCOTUS Is Moving
on Mandate Challenges
Dec 23, 2021 7:06 AM CST
SCOTUS Is Moving 'Extraordinarily Fast' on Mandate Challenges
Special session will be held Jan. 7
- Last week, a federal appeals court cleared the way for the Biden administration's vaccine mandate for private employers to take effect Jan. 4—but the issue will be before the Supreme Court just three days later. The court said Wednesday night that it will hold a special session Jan....
Religious Exemption Requests
on Vaccine Go Nowhere
Dec 19, 2021 11:55 AM CST
Religious Exemption Requests on Vaccine Go Nowhere
Pentagon didn't expect 12K applications
- When the Pentagon announced in August that all service members would have to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, it said they can seek religious exemptions. More than 12,000 military service members have done that, the AP reports, but so far, not one exemption on religious grounds has been granted....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.