Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
UN Has Harsh Words for
Iran Over Child's Execution
Nov 29, 2023 8:19 AM CST
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Country reportedly put a 17-year-old to death on Friday
- The UN had harsh words for Iran on Tuesday over the country's decision to execute two young people last Friday. "We deplore the executions," Elizabeth Throssell, a rep for the UN Human Rights Office, said in a statement in reference to the deaths of Hamidreza Azari, 17,...
Latest Nobel Peace Laureate
Goes on Hunger Strike
Nov 6, 2023 12:57 PM CST
Latest Nobel Peace Laureate Goes on Hunger Strike
Latest laureate Narges Mohammadi is in Iranian prison, protesting access to health care, mandatory hijabs
- Nobel Peace Prize laureate Narges Mohammadi began a hunger strike Monday over being blocked along with other inmates from getting medical care and to protest the country's mandatory headscarves for women, said a campaign advocating for the activist. The decision by Mohammadi, 51, increases pressure on Iran's theocracy...
Sep 16, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Protests Renew Iran Uprising
Rallies around the world honor Mahsa Amini as her father is detained in Iran
- "Say Her Name" demonstrations in global capitals marked the one-year anniversary of the death of Mahsa Amini on Saturday by demanding changes in Iran's Islamic theocracy rule. In Iran, journalists and rights groups said, the father of the Kurdish-Iranian woman who died in police custody was himself taken...
Iran Launches Hijab Crackdown
Jul 16, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Iran Launches Hijab Crackdown
Patrols resume on Tehran streets after police say violators will be detained
- Iranian authorities on Sunday announced a new campaign to force women to wear the Islamic headscarf, and morality police returned to the streets 10 months after the death of a woman in their custody sparked nationwide protests. The morality police had largely pulled back following the death of 22-year-old Mahsa...
Iran: Nope, Morality Cops
Not Going Anywhere
Dec 5, 2022 3:21 AM CST
Iran: Nope, Morality Cops Not Going Anywhere
State media denies reports that morality police will be disbanded following riots
- Iranian state media quickly pushed back on reports that Iran was disbanding its morality police. It was the attorney general who was quoted saying as much, but per state media, it's not the judiciary that oversees the morality police force—it's the interior ministry, which has not yet...
They Marched to
Protest Mahsa's Death.
Now, Public Trials
Nov 1, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
They Marched to Protest Mahsa's Death. Now, Public Trials
Thousands who demonstrated against death of teen will appear before Iran's hard-line judiciary
- Thousands of Iranians who protested the September death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini , who died in police custody after being arrested for not wearing a hijab, are about to see themselves put on public trial. The
reports that 1,000 individuals in the capital of Tehran who've been indicted...
of Teen Girl Deaths
Oct 11, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Alleged Cover-Up of Teen Girl Deaths Galvanizes Iranians
Nika Shakarami's mother says authorities are lying about her murder by security forces
- Iranian security forces appear to be "targeting, arresting, and, in some cases, killing minors" participating in anti-government protests, which is only fueling the already raging fire triggered by the Sept. 16 death of 22-year-old Mahsa Zhina Amini, who'd been detained for violating the country's strict hijab law,...
Iran Erupts After
Young Woman Dies in
Custody of 'Morality Police'
Sep 21, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Iran Erupts After Young Woman Dies in Custody of 'Morality Police'
Mahsa Amini's death has sparked protests across country
- Protests have been rocking Iran since the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini last week after she was detained by the country's "morality police" for not wearing a hijab. According to a human rights organization monitoring the situation, five people have been fatally shot by Iranian security forces during...
Cops: She Was
Detained for Hijab
Sep 17, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: She Was Detained for Hijab 'Education.' Now She's Dead
Outrage in Iran after witnesses say Mahsa Amini died after being beaten by 'morality police'
- The existence of Iran's "morality police"—authorities who patrol the streets to ensure Islamic code on how women dress is being followed—has been increasingly under fire there, and a young woman's death this week has just exacerbated the backlash. Witnesses say 22-year-old Mahsa Amini died...
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.