Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Nightmare' Is Over
Jan 29, 2020 1:14 PM CST
Trump: NAFTA 'Nightmare' Is Over
President signs into law a major rewrite of the rules of trade with Canada and Mexico
- President Trump on Wednesday signed into law a major rewrite of the rules of trade with Canada and Mexico that he said replaces the "nightmare" of a Clinton-era agreement and will keep jobs, wealth, and growth in America. "Together we are building a glorious future that is raised,...
Pelosi Hands Trump
a Victory on Trade
Dec 10, 2019 10:40 AM CST
Pelosi Hands Trump a Victory on Trade
New North American trade deal is imminent
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday announced agreement on a modified North American trade pact, handing President Trump a major Capitol Hill win on the same day that Democrats announced impeachment charges against him, per the AP . Crediting Democratic negotiators for winning stronger provisions on enforcing the agreement, Pelosi said...
Mexico's Senate Votes
114-4 for NAFTA Replacement
Jun 20, 2019 12:40 AM CDT
Mexico's Senate Votes 114-4 for NAFTA Replacement
Move is a 'crucial step forward' for USMCA
- Mexico's Senate voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to ratify a new free trade agreement with the United States and Canada, making it the first of the three countries to gain legislative approval. Mexico's upper chamber voted 114 to four with three abstentions in favor of the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA,...
Trump: My Promise Stands,
Mexico Will Pay for Wall
Dec 13, 2018 11:31 AM CST
Trump: My Promise Stands, Mexico Will Pay for Wall
They'll do so through the revised NAFTA deal, says president, but details are scant
- President Trump on Thursday revived his promise that Mexico would pay for a border wall. But this time, he linked it to the revised NAFTA deal . The morning tweet : "I often stated, 'One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for the Wall.' This has...
'Let's Go': a Deal to Change
'Trade Landscape Forever'
Nov 30, 2018 8:25 AM CST
'Let's Go': a Deal to Change 'Trade Landscape Forever'
US, Mexico, Canada sign USMCA, the replacement for NAFTA
- President Trump has joined the leaders of Mexico and Canada to sign a revised North American trade deal. Trump gathered with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and outgoing Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto on the sidelines of Friday's G20 summit in Buenos Aires. The three sat a table, pens...
Mexicans 'Stunned' Over
Decision to Honor Kushner
Nov 28, 2018 8:41 AM CST
Mexicans 'Stunned' Over Decision to Honor Kushner
He'll receive the Order of the Aztec Eagle on Thursday
- Enrique Peña Nieto's final "major" act as president will apparently involve Jared Kushner, and it's one the
describes as having "stunned the country": The Hill reports that before handing over power to incoming president Andrés Manuel López Obrador on Saturday, Peña...
Trump: New NAFTA Name
Has a 'Good Ring to It'
Oct 1, 2018 2:07 PM CDT
Trump: New NAFTA Name Has a 'Good Ring to It'
- America's free trade pact with Mexico and Canada may be alive, but the same can't be said for the NAFTA moniker. Once the new deal was arrived at Sunday night its new name was announced : the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA. President Trump weighed in on the name...
New NAFTA Deal Forged
Just Before US Deadline
Oct 1, 2018 6:47 AM CDT
New NAFTA Deal Forged Just Before US Deadline
Canada will be part of 'USMCA'
- Canada and the United States reached a deal Sunday night for Canada to stay in a free trade pact with the US and Mexico. In a joint statement late Sunday, US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said the agreement "will strengthen the middle...
Trump Claims He Rejected
Trudeau's Meeting Request
Sep 27, 2018 1:18 AM CDT
Trump Claims He Rejected Trudeau's Meeting Request
No meeting was requested, Canadians say
- Canada, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in particular, were among President Trump's many targets in his freewheeling press conference Wednesday. Trump claimed that he had rejected a one-on-one meeting with Trudeau at the United Nations this week because talks to renegotiate the NAFTA deal are not going well, the...
Trump Peeved After
Sep 1, 2018 11:48 AM CDT
Trump Peeved After His Off-the-Record Comments Leak
'Toronto Star' ran the remarks Friday
proclaims them "secret bombshell remarks": off-the-record comments President Trump made about Canada in an interview with Bloomberg News on Thursday that were leaked to the
Per the leaked remarks published Friday, the president was discussing negotiations with Canada on a trade deal that could replace...
US, Canada Fail to Agree
on NAFTA; Markets Unfazed
Aug 31, 2018 3:23 PM CDT
US, Canada Fail to Agree on NAFTA; Markets Unfazed
Talks expected to resume next week
- Stocks hardly budged on Wall Street as the US and Canada were unable to complete a trade deal, per the AP . The US Trade Representative said Friday that the two sides would continue negotiating next week on a new deal to replace the NAFTA trade accord, which also includes Mexico....
Trump Warns Canada as He
Strikes a Deal With Mexico
Aug 27, 2018 1:40 PM CDT
Trump Warns Canada as He Strikes a Deal With Mexico
President wants to replace NAFTA, says Canada might be left out
- The Trump administration and Mexico have reached a preliminary accord to end the North American Free Trade Agreement and replace it with a deal that the administration wants to be more favorable to the United States, per the AP . President Trump, in announcing the tentative agreement Monday at the White...
Trudeau: Mike Pence's
Demand Sank NAFTA Talks
Jun 1, 2018 8:32 AM CDT
Trudeau: Mike Pence's Demand Sank NAFTA Talks
French president Emmanuel Macron says Trump tariffs are a mistake
- Justin Trudeau says he was ready to fly to Washington to make a deal on NAFTA—until Mike Pence made a demand that he had no choice but to reject. The Canadian prime minister says the vice president told him there would have to be a "sunset clause" guaranteeing...
China, Japan Slam Trump
Move on Auto Tariffs
May 24, 2018 12:11 AM CDT
China, Japan Slam Trump Move on Auto Tariffs
Beijing will 'firmly defend' its rights
- On Thursday, China and Japan both condemned the Trump administration's decision to launch an investigation into whether tariffs are needed on imports of vehicles and automotive parts into the United States. China's Commerce Ministry said Beijing would "firmly defend" its rights and interests against what it called...
Trump Hits Mexico Again:
'Our Country Is Being Stolen!'
Apr 2, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Trump Hits Mexico Again: 'Our Country Is Being Stolen!'
President calls on Democrats to agree to tougher border laws
- President Trump unleashed a Twitter attack on Mexico over the weekend, and he picked up right where he left off on Monday morning. In multiple tweets, Trump said Mexico must do more to stop "caravans of people" heading into the US, blasted Democrats for weak border laws, and again...
No More Drugs or I'll Nix
NAFTA, Trump Warns Mexico
Apr 1, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
No More Drugs or I'll Nix NAFTA, Trump Warns Mexico
Nation must 'stop the big drug and people flows, or I will stop their cash cow,' president says
- President Trump took to Twitter on Sunday to issue a warning to America's neighbor to the south. "Stop the big drug and people flows, or I will stop their cash cow, NAFTA," Trump wrote, as CNBC notes, before he explicitly linked the renewed trade negotiations to his...
Trump's Tariff Surprise
Now Has NAFTA Link
Mar 5, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Trump's Tariff Surprise Now Has NAFTA Link
He says Mexico, Canada can avoid new taxes by renegotiating trade pact
- President Trump suggested Monday that his plan to impose hefty tariffs on steel and aluminum might have some wiggle room, at least for Mexico and Canada. In morning tweets, Trump said the two nations could avoid the tariffs by giving ground in ongoing NAFTA negotiations, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Big Changes as
NAFTA Talks Begin
Aug 17, 2017 1:23 AM CDT
US Demands Big Changes as NAFTA Talks Begin
'We believe NAFTA has fundamentally failed many, many Americans'
- The United States won't settle for cosmetic changes to the North American Free Trade Agreement, the top US trade negotiator said as negotiations to rework terms of the pact began Wednesday. President Trump has called the 23-year-old trade pact the "worst" in history and vowed to fix it—...
Trump Says He Thought Being
President 'Would Be Easier'
FIRST 100 DAYS
Apr 28, 2017 6:51 AM CDT
Trump Says He Thought Being President 'Would Be Easier'
'I loved my previous life,' he says
- President Trump has been the most powerful person in the world for almost 100 days, and he seems to be finding it kind of a drag, according to a Reuters interview. "I loved my previous life. I had so many things going," Trump said in what Reuters describes...
Trump Not Pulling Out
of NAFTA 'at This Time'
Apr 27, 2017 6:29 AM CDT
Trump Not Pulling Out of NAFTA 'at This Time'
He says he's going to renegotiate trade pact
- President Trump will not be adding "scrapping the North American Free Trade Agreement" to his list of accomplishments in his first 100 days. After reports that Trump was planning an executive order for US withdrawal from NAFTA, the White House issued a statement Wednesday evening saying Trump has "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.