Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Department of Labor
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fake Priest Just
Cost It $140K
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 24, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Restaurant's Fake Priest Just Cost It $140K
California eatery had workers confess their 'sins' in 'most shameless' plot to intimidate them, per DOL
- It may have seemed a bit unconventional for a priest to show up at their place of employment to offer confession, but workers at the Taqueria Garibaldi restaurant in Sacramento took the holy man up on the chance to admit their "sins." Now, the owners of the Northern...
Boss Who Dumped Pennies
on Worker's Driveway Must Pay
Jun 19, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Boss Who Dumped Pennies on Worker's Driveway Must Pay
Stunt led to investigation that found Georgia body shop owner had violated labor laws
- An auto body shop owner who paid a worker's final wage of $915 using 91,500 oil-covered pennies has been ordered to pay $39,934 to nine workers—and authorities will likely take a dim view of any attempt to settle up using nearly 4 million greasy pennies. A...
Labor Sec, SOTU's 'Designated
Survivor,' Said to Be Quitting
Feb 8, 2023 12:02 AM CST
Labor Sec, SOTU's 'Designated Survivor,' Said to Be Quitting
Marty Walsh reportedly leaving White House for NHL
- US Labor Secretary Marty Walsh is expected to leave the Biden administration to run the National Hockey League Players’ Association, according to two people familiar with his plans who spoke to the AP . The hockey players' union has been searching for a new executive director to take over for Don...
Injury' at USPS Facility,
Possible Big Fines
Mar 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
After 'Life-Changing Injury' at USPS Facility, Possible Big Fines
Worker has arm amputated after accident at NC mail facility; OSHA finds 'serious safety violations'
- A US Postal Service worker lost an arm after an accident involving a machine at a North Carolina mail processing center, and now the agency could face fines of more than $170,000, reports WGHP . Per a release from the US Department of Labor, the mechanic at the USPS' Greensboro...
In Return to Jobs,
a Huge Gender Gap
Feb 8, 2022 8:47 AM CST
In Return to Jobs, a Huge Gender Gap
BLS stats show 1M-plus men went back to job market in Jan. amid pandemic; only 39K women did
- The pandemic struck a huge blow to the American workforce, but January's jobs report brought some hopeful news, with employers adding 467,000 jobs last month. But the news appears to be better for men than for women, per Axios , which cites a "jaw-dropping" gender disparity in labor...
for Restaurants May
Not Please Servers
Dec 24, 2020 8:02 AM CST
'Year-End Victory' for Restaurants May Not Please Servers
Labor Dept. says employers can mandate tipped workers share their tips
- New changes to Labor Department rules are being called a "year-end victory" for the restaurant industry, per the National Restaurant Association—though servers who rely on tips to boost their sub-minimum-wage pay may not be giving it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. Fox Business reports on a revision made final Tuesday...
Dec 1, 2020 12:20 AM CST
GAO: Weekly Unemployment Numbers Flawed
Government watchdog finds Labor Department has been providing an inaccurate reading
- A government watchdog has found that the Labor Department’s widely watched weekly unemployment benefits data are providing an inaccurate reading on the number of newly laid off workers because of flaws in the government’s data collection. The Government Accountability Office said in a report Monday that the Labor...
Jobless Claims Continue
an 11-Week Streak
Jun 18, 2020 9:07 AM CDT
Jobless Claims Continue an 11-Week Streak
1.5M apply for benefits, but that's another decline from the previous week
- About 1.5 million laid-off workers applied for US unemployment benefits last week, a historically high number, even as the economy increasingly reopens and employers bring some people back to work. The Labor Department's largest figure marked the 11th straight weekly decline in applications since they peaked at nearly...
Hit With $160K Fine
Over Child Labor
Jan 20, 2020 8:27 AM CST
Wendy's Franchisee Hit With $160K Fine Over Child Labor
Labor Dept.: Nearly 450 minors worked illegally at Wendy's in 9 states
- A Wendy's franchisee was just hit with a massive fine after the US Department of Labor found it had violated child labor laws, allowing kids employed by restaurants in nine states to work longer hours than they were supposed to, or outside the parameters of when they were allowed...
Turns Out We Weren't
Adding 200K Jobs a Month
Aug 22, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
Turns Out We Weren't Adding 200K Jobs a Month
Department of Labor revises job gains figures, with 501K fewer than previously estimated
- It's not uncommon for the Department of Labor to revise job growth numbers. It actually does so annually, when, instead of using the surveys that help form those initial estimates, it reviews unemployment insurance records in each state to come up with more accurate figures. What is uncommon is...
Trump Announces His
New Labor Secretary Pick
Feb 16, 2017 12:02 PM CST
Trump Announces His New Labor Secretary Pick
It's Alexander Acosta, former NLRB member
- A day after Andrew Puzder withdrew his name from consideration as Labor secretary, President Trump has announced his replacement pick, Reuters reports. Trump will nominate Alexander Acosta, who served as assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division under former President George W. Bush and has also served as a...
Puzder Withdraws His
Nomination as Labor Secretary
Feb 15, 2017 3:00 PM CST
Puzder Withdraws His Nomination as Labor Secretary
His confirmation hearing had been scheduled for Thursday
- Andrew Puzder says he is withdrawing as President Donald Trump's nominee for labor secretary. The fast food executive says in a statement provided to the AP that he was "honored to have been considered by President Donald Trump to lead the Department of Labor and put America's...
Feds Accuse Oracle of Paying
White Men More
Jan 19, 2017 11:22 AM CST
Feds Accuse Oracle of Paying White Men More
And of favoring Asians for tech roles: DOL lawsuit
- Oracle provides contracting services for the feds via its cloud computing software, resulting in "hundreds of millions" of dollars in government contracts, per a Labor Department release. That means the tech company has to adhere to federal nondiscriminatory hiring practices, which a DOL lawsuit announced Wednesday says has not...
Labor Dept. Wants to Ban
Google From Federal Contracts
Jan 5, 2017 12:55 AM CST
Labor Dept. Wants to Ban Google From Federal Contracts
Feds want tech behemoth to turn over thousands of employee records
- The US Labor Department is trying to bar Google from doing business with the federal government unless the internet company turns over confidential information about thousands of its employees, the AP reports. The potential banishment is being sought in a Labor Department lawsuit filed Wednesday with the Office of Administrative...
In Conn. Nail Salon Raid,
Only 2 Were Legal
Aug 19, 2015 10:51 AM CDT
In Conn. Nail Salon Raid, Only 2 Were Legal
Sweep finds 23 salons violating wage and hour laws
- Nearly two dozen nail salons were shut down in Connecticut—at least temporarily—after a random sweep by the Department of Labor earlier this month. Inspired by New York state's response to a
New York Times
investigation into nail salons , and after complaints, officials randomly investigated 25 salons from...
Walmart Holds Food Drive ... for Its Own Workers
Nov 18, 2013 2:25 PM CST
Walmart Holds Food Drive ... for Its Own Workers
It's asking other workers to help them out
- An Ohio Walmart store wants to make sure its workers can enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner—so it's asking them to give each other enough food to do so. The Canton store has set up bins in an employee-only area under a sign that reads, "Please donate food items...
His EPA Chief
Jul 18, 2013 4:37 PM CDT
Obama Gets His EPA Chief
Senate approves Gina McCarthy, and labor chief Thomas Perez, too
- Two of President Obama's long-stalled nominees cleared the Senate today, thanks to this week's filibuster deal : Gina McCarthy is the new EPA chief, and Thomas Perez is the new labor secretary, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The big question on Perez is how aggressive he will...
$4.8M Bill for
May 2, 2012 8:07 AM CDT
Walmart Slapped With $4.8M Bill for Unpaid Wages
About 4,500 employees weren't paid for overtime
- The Labor Department has ordered Walmart to pay $4.8 million in back wages to around 4,500 workers it short-changed between 2004 and 2007. Over that span, Walmart had refused to pay overtime to its vision-center managers and asset-protection coordinators, for some reason believing them exempt from federal regulations...
Feds to Maine Gov: Rehang
Mural or Repay Our Money
Apr 5, 2011 12:40 PM CDT
Feds to Maine Gov: Rehang Mural or Repay Our Money
GOP gov took labor mural down after it was compared to N. Korea propaganda
- When Maine Gov. Paul LePage decided to remove a 36-foot mural depicting the state's labor history from the state's Labor Department building, he didn't just tick off union leaders—he ticked off the federal government. The US Labor Department is demanding LePage put the mural back up, or else give...
Feb 13, 2011 7:11 AM CST
NY Smacks Star-Crossed
Two safety violations issued by New York state
- As if the endlessly troubled Broadway musical
Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
didn't have enough problems, now it also has two safety violations, reports the
New York Times
. New York's Department of Labor issued the violations for one actor's 20-foot fall during rehearsal, and a problem with a sling-shot technique....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.