Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
McDonald's Opts for
Paper Straws That
Can't Be Recycled
Aug 5, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
McDonald's Opts for Paper Straws That Can't Be Recycled
At least, not yet
- McDonald's has ditched its plastic straws in favor of paper ones in the UK and Ireland —there's just one itty-bitty, teenie-weenie little problem: The paper straws can't be recycled. The fast-food company has called the new paper straws "eco-friendly," but, though the paper is...
New Trump Slogan:
'Make Straws Great Again'
Jul 20, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
New Trump Slogan: 'Make Straws Great Again'
And you can buy them for $15
- President Trump's reelection campaign has a new slogan—or it's mentioned in an email, anyway. "Make Straws Great Again," reads a Friday missive from Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale. The email takes a stab at paper straws (they "don't work") before making its...
Death by Metal Drinking
Straw Is Now a Thing
Jul 10, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Death by Metal Drinking Straw Is Now a Thing
UK woman fatally impaled on straw stuck in lid
- A coroner is warning people to never fix metal drinking straws in place after the truly horrifying case of an English woman impaled in the eye. Elena Struthers-Gardner died after collapsing on a 10-inch stainless steel straw she had stuck in a screw-top lid on a Mason jar-style drinking glass...
Other Countries Are Doing It.
'Canada Will Be One of Them'
Jun 10, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
Other Countries Are Doing It. 'Canada Will Be One of Them'
Single-use plastics will be banned as early as 2021
- Canada will ban single-use plastics as early as 2021, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday. Trudeau said the specific items to be banned will be determined based on a science-based review, but the government is considering items such as water bottles, plastic bags, and straws. "As early as 2021,...
Fights Back After
Man Loses It Over Straw
in case you missed it
Jan 6, 2019 9:17 AM CST
McDonald's Worker Fights Back After Man Loses It Over Straw
'My family, they know how to box,' she says
- A Florida man infuriated by his failure to find a plastic straw lunged at and grabbed a McDonald's worker. Unfortunately for him, the young woman knew how to box, according to Kinie Biandudi, who shared video of the altercation . Mother Brenda Biandudi, who recorded the video, tells the
California Bars Restaurants
From Just Handing Out Straws
Sep 20, 2018 5:03 PM CDT
California Bars Restaurants From Just Handing Out Straws
Patrons will have to ask for single-use plastic straws, starting next year
- People who want straws with their drinks at California restaurants will have to request them under a new law, the AP reports. The law signed Thursday by Gov. Jerry Brown makes California the first state to bar full-service restaurants from automatically giving out single-use plastic straws. It takes effect next...
Is Great News
for This Company
Aug 7, 2018 2:12 PM CDT
Blowback Against Plastic Straws Is Great News for This Company
Indiana's Aardvark Straws makes a paper version, and the company was just purchased
- The sole US producer of paper straws has been bought up in the latest sign that plastic straws are becoming a thing of the past . In a deal announced Monday, disposable tableware manufacturer Hoffmaster Group will acquire Indiana-based Aardvark Straws, whose degradable and compostable paper straws have been in high...
Calif. Bill Would Punish
Jan 30, 2018 12:46 AM CST
Calif. Bill Would Punish Straw-Happy Servers
But harsh penalties for 'Straws Upon Request' bill will be amended, lawmaker insists
- Restaurant servers who give customers plastic drinking straws they haven't asked for will have to suck up a maximum penalty of a $1,000 fine or six months in prison under a controversial bill in California. The bill was introduced in the State Assembly by Majority Leader Ian Calderon...
Stunt: 'It Works'
Feb 20, 2017 3:01 AM CST
Weird Part of McDonald's Straw-Redesign Stunt: 'It Works'
Two top engineering firms went at it
- A new McDonald's marketing stunt has managed to catch the attention of tech and food blogs because of its weird premise: the redesign of the humble straw. The chain hired two respected engineering firms—people behind Google, NASA, and DARPA projects—to build a straw that allows for the...
for Green Issue
May 23, 2008 8:56 AM CDT
Mag Uses Wheat Paper for Green Issue
Canadian publication is first in N. America to try forest-friendly idea
- A Canadian magazine is printing a special environmental issue on paper made from wheat straw, the CBC reports.
s "wheat sheets," made from harvest waste, will be a first for a North American magazine. Environmentalists say using wheat-straw pulp could save millions of trees every year and...
Aug 20, 2007 11:59 AM CDT
Straw Goes Green
Eco-friendly building material branches out beyond fairy tales
- The newest surprise climate-saving tool is straw walls, and the Big Bad Wolf may have underestimated the First Little Pig’s shelter, the
reports. Instead of drywall or insulation, contractors stack the farm waste around buildings’ skeletons and then coat it with plaster. The eco-friendly result looks like...
Popular on Newser
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
Study Finds 'All Our Efforts' on Vaccines Not 'Trash' After All
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.