Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's Another Big Milestone
on Organ Transplants
Jan 20, 2022 1:39 PM CST
It's Another Big Milestone on Organ Transplants
In test, doctors give kidneys from genetically altered pig to brain-dead patient
- It's the second big success story this month in regard to a potentially huge shift in the field of organ transplants. Doctors in Alabama transplanted the kidneys of a genetically altered pig to a brain-dead recipient, reports the
New York Times
. The surgeries took place in September, and the...
For 54 Hours, a Pig's Kidney
Worked Normally in a Human
Oct 20, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
For 54 Hours, a Pig's Kidney Worked Normally in a Human
It's a major breakthrough, says the surgeon who performed the transplant
- More than 100,000 Americans are on an organ transplant list, and roughly 9 out of every 10 of them are waiting for a kidney—which makes this "breakthrough" such a huge one. Surgeons at NYU Langone Health say they successfully managed to transplant a kidney that was grown...
Denied Kidney Transplant
Oct 6, 2021 1:36 PM CDT
Unvaccinated Woman Denied Kidney Transplant
UCHealth says COVID poses 'extreme risk' to transplant patients
- A Colorado woman with stage 5 renal failure says she had a kidney donor lined up—but was told by the health system that the transplant wasn't going to happen unless both parties were vaccinated against COVID-19. Leilani Lutani says she hasn't been vaccinated because there are "...
Selena Gomez Doesn't Like
Jokes About Her Transplant
Aug 4, 2021 1:51 PM CDT
Selena Gomez Doesn't Like Jokes About Her Transplant
Fans take to Twitter to support the pop star, who called a joke 'tasteless'
- Selena Gomez doesn’t think her medical history is funny, a point she reiterated after a joke was made about the popstar's 2017 kidney transplant in a recent episode of the
She dubbed the joke—made during a comedy bit about what jokes are too insensitive to...
Into Wrong Patient
Jul 13, 2021 4:19 PM CDT
Kidney Transplanted Into Wrong Patient
2 hospital employees are on administrative leave
- Getting the right organ into the right person is a crucial step in the organ transplant process, and an Ohio hospital system is trying to figure out how it went wrong. University Hospitals in Cleveland says a kidney intended for someone else ended up in the wrong patient in a...
The Teen Would Be
on the Transplant List
—If He Were White
Jul 10, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
The Teen Would Be on the Transplant List —If He Were White
A look into how race factors in to when patients get on the kidney transplant list
- "I was immediately taken by Jordan's story," writes Jennifer Tsai, who has been an emergency medicine physician for two years. "It's an illuminating example of how racism is alive and burrowed within medicine." And so in a lengthy piece for Slate she shares it,...
Chat in Workplace Bathroom
May Have Saved 2 Men's Lives
Jun 29, 2021 1:12 PM CDT
Chat in Workplace Bathroom May Have Saved 2 Men's Lives
Co-workers Susan Ellis and Tia Wimbush each gave up one of their own kidneys
- A chance conversation in a workplace restroom led to a happy ending for two men in desperate need of new kidneys. That meeting took place in August 2020 in a bathroom at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. Co-workers Susan Ellis and Tia Wimbush had learned in 2019 that their husbands...
2 Patients, One Kidney,
a 'Rare' Mistake
Nov 27, 2019 2:04 PM CST
2 Patients, One Kidney, a 'Rare' Mistake
New Jersey hospital calls erroneous transplant an 'unprecedented event'
- A New Jersey hospital is offering a mea culpa for an "unprecedented event" and vowing to put measures into places so something similar never happens again. Per NJ Advance Media , Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden acknowledged this week that a 51-year-old patient on the transplant list...
US May Be Tossing
Too Many Donated Kidneys
Aug 30, 2019 12:29 PM CDT
US May Be Tossing Too Many Donated Kidneys
US discards more than France, despite the big waiting list
- Every day, 12 Americans die while waiting for a kidney transplant. In what will be an especially hard pill to swallow for the 93,000 Americans currently on the waiting list, about 10 donated kidneys are discarded in that same period, reports
. A study published Monday in
Tells Fans He'll
be Fine, After
Jul 7, 2019 8:23 AM CDT
Stevie Wonder Tells Fans He'll be Fine, After a Transplant
Singer will receive a new kidney in September
- Stevie Wonder paused during his set Saturday in London to tell fans he'll undergo a kidney transplant in September. He assured the crowd, which appeared to be shocked for a moment, that he'll be fine, TMZ reports. "I'm all good," Wonder said. "I have...
He Came to the Rescue.
2 Years Later, She Did for Him
May 21, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
He Came to the Rescue. 2 Years Later, She Did for Him
It's kidney donor Becca Bundy who feels 'pretty blessed'
- Two years after a volunteer firefighter rushed to help her 1-year-old daughter, who was having a seizure, Becca Bundy returned the favor. The mother from Cook, Minn., donated one of her kidneys to Bill Cox after she ran into him in October in the bar that's employed him for...
This Is One of the Best
Drone Deliveries Ever
Apr 30, 2019 1:55 AM CDT
This Is One of the Best Drone Deliveries Ever
In a first, a hospital receives a kidney needed for transplant
- The University of Maryland Medical Center received a historic delivery at its Shock Trauma heliport last week: a human kidney, delivered by drone. The first-of-its-kind delivery was made by the LG-1,000, a 50-pound drone created by the university's School of Medicine specifically to transport organs, CBS Baltimore reports....
Dad to Tears
Mar 16, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Adopted Daughter's Sacrifice Moves Dad to Tears
Billy Houze's kidneys didn't work and the wait list was too long
- A North Carolina woman is on the verge of saving her adoptive father's life—something she believes she was destined to do, ABC News reports. "She told me, 'Daddy, you thought you were saving my life pulling me from foster care but in actuality, you were saving...
His Ex Wasn't 'the One.'
But She Was 'the Donor'
Jan 3, 2019 8:45 AM CST
His Ex Wasn't 'the One.' But She Was 'the Donor'
Minn. grandma Mary Ziegler donates organ to her former husband
- Not all divorces have to end in acrimony. Just ask Mary Ziegler and Bill Henrichs, who when they ended their marriage two decades ago made a pledge to treat each other right for their kids' sake. "You know all those bad divorce things, we agreed not to do that,...
She Found Out
She Had Cancer.
Then, a 'God
Oct 12, 2018 7:56 AM CDT
She Found Out She Had Cancer. Then, a 'God Moment'
Nurse Iris Zink donated her kidney to longtime patient and friend Ginny Holcomb
- Everyone hopes for a caring and compassionate nurse when they're ailing, but one Michigan woman's caretaker went "above and beyond the call of duty," per
Becker's Hospital Review
. For more than 15 years, nurse practitioner Iris Zink has treated Ginny Holcomb at Lansing Rheumatology, and...
Tina Turner: My Husband's
Incredible Offer 'Shocked Me'
Oct 6, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
Tina Turner: My Husband's Incredible Offer 'Shocked Me'
The singer says Erwin Bach gave her a kidney
- Tina Turner has revealed that she underwent a kidney transplant with an organ donated by her husband, the AP reports. The 78-year-old singer says in an upcoming autobiography that she has suffered from kidney disease, and by 2016 her kidneys were at "20% and plunging rapidly." She says...
'Healthy' Organ Donor
Kills 3 in 'Extraordinary' Case
Sep 16, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
'Healthy' Organ Donor Kills 3 in 'Extraordinary' Case
Tests just couldn't find the cancer cells, report says
- All four of them received organs from an apparently cancer-free donor, and three of them died—of cancer. In what researchers are calling an "extraordinary case," four organ-recipients from a 53-year-old stroke victim all developed breast cancer, LiveScience reports. A new report says the donor died in 2007,...
Owner Decides 17-Year-Old
Cat Is Worth a $19K Surgery
Mar 15, 2018 8:52 AM CDT
Owner Decides 17-Year-Old Cat Is Worth a $19K Surgery
Betsy Boyd didn't hesitate to pony up money for kidney transplant for her 'muse' Stanley
- When Stanley needed a potentially lifesaving kidney transplant, Betsy Boyd didn't blink at coughing up the $19,000 needed to pay for it. What has the generosity of this Baltimore mother of two making headlines, per the
: That amount is more than 40% of her annual salary,...
Lose Your Kidney in Venezuela,
'Go Straight to the Cemetery'
in case you missed it
Mar 3, 2018 4:00 PM CST
Lose Your Kidney in Venezuela, 'Go Straight to the Cemetery'
Medicine shortage causing those with transplants to experience rejection
- There's a literal casualty of Venezuela's ongoing economic woes: those with kidney problems. Reuters dives into the dire situation that both kidney transplant recipients and those hoping to join their ranks face in the midst of the country's inability to buy enough drugs from abroad or make...
Dying Toddler Gets a
Nov 23, 2017 2:30 PM CST
Dying Toddler Gets a 'Thanksgiving Miracle'
AJ Burgess underwent lifesaving kidney transplant Wednesday
- "This is an unexpected Thanksgiving miracle." That's the message from a lawyer representing a 2-year-old Georgia boy, who was temporarily blocked from receiving a lifesaving kidney, after the toddler underwent a successful transplant Wednesday, reports CNN . AJ Burgess was born without functioning kidneys. However, his father, Anthony...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.