Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amazon Has Plans to Share
Your Internet on June 8
in case you missed it
Jun 5, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Amazon Has Plans to Share Your Internet on June 8
Here's what to know about Amazon Sidewalk and how to opt out
- If you have an Amazon Echo or Ring security camera, the clock is ticking: You have six days to opt out of your device being lumped into a shared wireless network. Known as Amazon Sidewalk, the plan is one geared toward making sure Amazon's smart home devices have connectivity...
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic
Never Used in Southeast Asia
May 17, 2019 9:27 AM CDT
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic Never Used in Southeast Asia
Police in Indonesia say they busted bomb plot that would've used WiFi for detonation
- Next Wednesday was supposed to be the day. That's when Islamic militants were planning on setting off a bomb, an Indonesian police spokesman says—and they reportedly had a high-tech plan in place. They were going to use WiFi to detonate it, Dedi Prasetyo tells the
New York Times
Airline to Test Free WiFi
May 9, 2019 5:35 PM CDT
Airline to Test Free WiFi
Delta won't charge passengers for internet service for two weeks
- Travelers can use free WiFi at their hotel, at restaurants, and sometimes in airports. But, except for JetBlue passengers, the free ride ends when they get on a plane. Delta is reconsidering that business model. The airline is says it will test free WiFi for passengers on 55 domestic flights...
Cops: Teen Burglar Woke
Couple for WiFi Password
Jul 26, 2018 7:15 AM CDT
Cops: Teen Burglar Woke Couple for WiFi Password
17-year-old arrested in Palo Alto
- Palo Alto police say they've caught a young burglar with a bizarre but modern tactic: He allegedly broke into a home late Saturday night, then woke up the couple residing there to ask for their WiFi password, reports KRON . He didn't get it, however. Police say the husband,...
FBI Traces Racist Threat
to Panera Bread WiFi for Arrest
Oct 5, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
FBI Traces Racist Threat to Panera Bread WiFi for Arrest
John Edgar Rust allegedly threatened to kill black students at Howard University
- The FBI has arrested a white man in his mid-20s who allegedly threatened to kill black students at Howard University two years ago, and the investigation involved a nifty bit of internet sleuthing. Agents first traced the threat posted on Reddit and 4chan to the wireless internet at a Panera...
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Prank
Causes Trouble in the Skies
Dec 23, 2016 9:56 AM CST
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Prank Causes Trouble in the Skies
Note to fliers: Be smart when selecting your phone's wifi hotspot name
- A flier's (or, as some other media put it, "moron's") decision to name his wifi hotspot "Samsung Galaxy Note7_1097" caused trouble in the skies Tuesday night. In case you've been dozing during recent pre-takeoff announcements, airlines worldwide have banned the Samsung GN7 after reports...
Data Specialist Spends All Day
Getting 'Smart' Kettle to Work
Oct 16, 2016 12:02 PM CDT
Data Specialist Spends All Day Getting 'Smart' Kettle to Work
Twitter heats up before the kettle does
- English data specialist Mark Rittman just wanted hot water for his 9am tea, but one thing led to another and it wasn't until dinnertime that he managed to fully diagnose the problem with his WiFi-enabled "smart" kettle, hack a workaround, and use voice control to tell his kettle...
Rip Off WiFi
Jun 2, 2016 12:41 PM CDT
Latest Saudi Fatwa: Don't Rip Off WiFi
No problem using it in public parks or malls, though
- Twenty-first-century fatwas have become way more technologically advanced than edicts of old against the likes of Salman Rushdie and other supposed infidels. To wit: A Saudi scholar has issued a ruling warning against the pilfering of WiFi, the
Sydney Morning Herald
reports. "Taking advantage of the WiFi service illegally...
Sues Its WiFi Provider
Feb 17, 2016 8:40 AM CST
American Airlines Sues Its WiFi Provider
It thinks Gogo's service is too limited
- If you've flown American Airlines of late and haven't been happy with the WiFi service, you're not alone: The airline itself feels the same way and has gone to court to get out of its contract with provider Gogo, reports the
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
. The airline says...
NYC's Phone Booths
Much More Useful
Jan 5, 2016 1:13 PM CST
NYC's Phone Booths Becoming Something Much More Useful
City unveiling WiFi hotspots today
- New York City still has thousands of pay phones on its sidewalks, but many have been gathering dust in the cellphone era. This month, the city will start replacing them with free WiFi hot spots, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Ultimately, more than 7,500 phone booths will be turned...
WiFi to the Dead
Dec 10, 2015 11:42 AM CST
Moscow Bringing WiFi to the Dead
Cemeteries' connection will likely bring visitors, too
- As part of their campaign to bring WiFi to crowded public spots in the Russian capital, Moscow authorities are connecting up an unlikely new location: cemeteries. The Moscow city hall said Thursday that free WiFi—or as NPR calls it, Die-Fi—will be available at the city's three main...
Guy Racks Up $1.2K
In-Flight WiFi Bill
in case you missed it
Nov 22, 2014 3:24 PM CST
Guy Racks Up $1.2K In-Flight WiFi Bill
- When Jeremy Gutsche signed up for a WiFi plan on a Singapore Airlines flight, he knew he was getting 30 megabytes for $28.99 and would be responsible for any additional data he used. What he apparently did not know was that by "checking email and uploading a PowerPoint...
FAA Panel Clears
Oct 2, 2013 9:30 AM CDT
FAA Panel Clears Gadgets for Takeoff: Source
Gadgets, WiFi OKed for under 10K feet
- The end is in sight for that game in which the flight attendant tells you to turn off your e-reader for takeoff like she really thinks it's going to crash the plane, and you nod solemnly and pretend to actually turn it off until she's out of sight....
and other cool stuff
Mar 2, 2013 3:45 PM CST
Wallpaper Goes High-Tech
Soon surfaces will go online, block Wi-Fi thieves, or recharge devices
- Why flip open a laptop when your wall can do the computing? A design firm in Madrid has launched a project that aims to make any surface in your home an online interface, the
reports. Using motion-sensor technology, webcams, and projectors, it will turn walls and counters into...
Feb 8, 2013 5:09 PM CST
Airwaves Fight Threatens ... Cordless Microphones?
Big churches aren't happy, and neither is the NFL
- Might the cordless microphone go the way of Betamax? The
Wall Street Journal
calls attention to a weird battle in the ongoing fight over control of the nation's airwaves, one that has united groups such as megachurches, the NFL, and Broadway theaters. They're all lobbying to save cordless...
'iPad Mini' to
Debut Oct. 23
Oct 12, 2012 11:42 AM CDT
'iPad Mini' to Debut Oct. 23
For real this time?
- Word has it a smaller iPad will debut at an Apple event on Oct. 23—though, to be fair, word has previously been wrong . This time, however, AllThingsD sounds pretty sure about it. The invite-only event, set for three days before Microsoft's Surface tablet hits stores, will take place...
Tim Cook Apologizes
for Crappy Apple Maps
Sep 28, 2012 8:46 AM CDT
Tim Cook Apologizes for Crappy Apple Maps
Meanwhile, iOS 6 users complain of WiFi problems
- How bad is the firestorm over iOS 6's reportedly terrible new Maps app ? So bad that Apple CEO Tim Cook felt compelled to publicly apologize today. "At Apple, we strive to make world-class products," he wrote on the company's site . "With the launch of...
No Talking While
Browsing on iPhone 5
with verizon, sprint
Sep 14, 2012 3:54 PM CDT
No Talking While Browsing on iPhone 5
Only AT&T allows for both simultaneously
- Everyone is eager to get their mitts on an iPhone 5, but here are a couple of features the new smartphone
have. On Verizon and Sprint models, users will be barred from talking on the phone and browsing the Web at the same time (although Sprint subscribers can...
Scientists Set Record
for Ultra-Fast WiFi
May 16, 2012 2:25 PM CDT
Scientists Set Record for Ultra-Fast WiFi
'T-rays' provide speeds 20 times faster
- Japanese scientists have set a whopping record for wireless data speeds—20 times faster than typical WiFi—by using an unconventional part of the electromagnetic spectrum known as the "T-ray" band. The researchers were able to transmit data at 3 gigabytes per second. "T-ray" technology could eventually lighten...
May 6, 2012 2:42 PM CDT
Now Your Dog Poop Can Pay for WiFi
'Poo WiFi' heading to Mexico City's parks
- Mexico City's parks are about to get wireless Internet—and a whole lot cleaner. Mexican Internet provider Terra is setting up stations where dog owners can deposit Fido's leavings in exchange for free WiFi, broadcast from bone-shaped routers, CNET reports. Need more time online? Give your dog a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Lara Logan's Talent Agency Drops Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.