Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
These 2 Photos Were
Taken Only 7 Weeks Apart
Oct 25, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
These 2 Photos Were Taken Only 7 Weeks Apart
A lot has happened in Britain in the interim
- They're two photos taken exactly seven weeks apart, capturing the traditional and ceremonial rites of the monarch meeting the British prime minister-in-waiting to ask them to form a new government. They're also bookends, per the AP . Between the taking of the first and of the second, much elapsed,...
'She Fell in Love, and She
Never Looked at Anyone Else'
Sep 9, 2022 11:56 AM CDT
'She Fell in Love, and She Never Looked at Anyone Else'
Romance between Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip burned strong for 7-plus decades
- The headlines have been dominated by Queen Elizabeth after her death Thursday at the age of 96. But ever-present in the background is the person she once called her "strength and stay": husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who died in April 2021 at 99. Before his death, the...
Feel Like Queen Was Always
There? A Staggering Stat
Sep 9, 2022 8:37 AM CDT
Feel Like Queen Was Always There? A Staggering Stat
'WaPo' analysis estimates 90% of world's living humans were born after she ascended to throne
- Before she died Thursday at the age of 96, Queen Elizabeth II was seen as a rock of sorts for the world—in other words, as UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres put it in a statement mourning her death, the royal "was a reassuring presence throughout decades of sweeping change....
The Queen Doesn't Look
Quite Like This Anymore
Jun 23, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
The Queen Doesn't Look Quite Like This Anymore
Elizabeth is spotted with a brand-new haircut
- Royal families tend to be mired in tradition, to the point that even small changes in the status quo garner international attention. That's why Queen Elizabeth's latest surprise move is making headlines worldwide: She's gotten a post-Platinum Jubilee haircut, dumping her signature structured 'do for trimmed-back...
Stonehenge Looks Very
Different This Week
May 31, 2022 9:19 AM CDT
Stonehenge Looks Very Different This Week
Photos of Queen Elizabeth projected onto landmark stones to celebrate Platinum Jubilee
- Whoever the designers of Stonehenge were, it's probably a decent bet that they didn't have this week's use of their monument in mind: Visitors this week will see photos of Queen Elizabeth II splashed across the front of the sarsens on Salisbury Plain, a tribute to the...
Queen Caught on Hot Mic
Dissing World Leaders
Oct 15, 2021 9:41 AM CDT
Queen Caught on Hot Mic Dissing World Leaders
Elizabeth was complaining about climate inaction
- Greta Thunberg doesn't think too highly of how world leaders in general are attacking climate change. She might have an ally in the "they're all talk, no action" camp: Queen Elizabeth. Ahead of the UN's COP26 climate change conference being held next month in Glasgow, Scotland,...
on 1975 'Crisis'
May 29, 2020 9:42 AM CDT
Aussie High Court: Release Queen's Letters on 1975 'Crisis'
Historian has fought since 2016 to find out what Elizabeth knew about government dismissal
- Australia's highest court ruled on Friday to make public letters between Queen Elizabeth II and her representative that would reveal what knowledge she had, if any, of the dismissal of an Australian government in 1975. The High Court's 6-1 majority decision in historian Jenny Hocking's appeal overturned...
Queen Admits It Has
Been a 'Bumpy' Year
Dec 24, 2019 3:49 AM CST
Queen Admits It Has Been a 'Bumpy' Year
Setbacks included Prince Andrew's Epstein connection
- Queen Elizabeth II plans to acknowledge that both Britain and her family have endured a difficult year by saying during her Christmas message that it has been a "bumpy" time. The pre-recorded message will be broadcast in Britain and the Commonwealth nations on Christmas Day. It was recorded before...
Old Island Home
but for Sale
Jun 12, 2019 5:03 AM CDT
Queen Elizabeth's Old Island Home Is Shabby but for Sale
Malta's 'dilapidated' Villa Guardamangia is up for grabs for $6.8M
- For a couple of years after World War II, when she was still just a princess, Queen Elizabeth lived in a home rented by her husband's uncle outside of the United Kingdom, the only time she resided away from her native land. That estate in Malta, Villa Guardamangia, is...
British Tabloid Shows
Queen as Girl in Nazi Salute
Jul 18, 2015 6:04 AM CDT
British Tabloid Shows Queen as Girl in Nazi Salute
Buckingham Palace angry at 'exploited' footage from early 1930s
- Buckingham Palace is seething today at images in
of a young Queen Elizabeth raising her hand in the Nazi salute. Rupert Murdoch's tabloid obtained a short film clip of the royal family horsing around in 1933 or 1934, when Elizabeth was about 7 years old. In the...
Is Now a
Jun 12, 2015 5:02 PM CDT
Kevin Spacey Is Now a British Knight, Almost
He's a foreigner, so you don't have to call him sir
- The queen doled knighthoods and other honors today, with Kevin Spacey and Van Morrison among the notables on the list. Spacey, who is wrapping up a decade-long run as artistic director at London's Old Vic theater, received an honorary knighthood for his contributions to British culture, reports ITV . Because...
Will Unite UK
Sep 19, 2014 3:28 PM CDT
Queen: 'Enduring Love of Scotland' Will Unite UK
Leader of Scottish National Party resigns
- The queen has officially weighed in on Scotland's rejection of independence —a rarity for her when it comes to current affairs, notes the
—and she's asking pro-UK Scottish residents and Brits not to gloat. She acknowledged the "strong feelings and contrasting emotions" involved in...
Angelina Jolie Now
Jun 14, 2014 6:11 AM CDT
It's 'Dame' Angelina Jolie Now
Actress, UN envoy earns high British honor
- Angelina Jolie picked up a major award yesterday, but one that has nothing to do with her acting. Queen Elizabeth named her an honorary dame for her humanitarian work, one of Britain's highest honors, reports the
. The 39-year-old UN envoy was in London this week to chair a...
in Case of
Aug 1, 2013 9:41 AM CDT
Queen Wrote This Speech in Case of Nuclear War
The enemy is 'the deadly power of abused technology'
- Just how close did the world come to the brink of nuclear annihilation during the Cold War? So close that civil servants in the UK wrote a speech for Queen Elizabeth to deliver in the event of nuclear war. The speech has now been released thanks to the UK's...
Wee Prince Meets
Jul 24, 2013 10:56 AM CDT
Wee Prince Meets Royal Great-Grandma
As well as Uncle Harry, Aunt Pippa
- No, sorry, we don't have a name yet—but we can tell you that the royal baby has met his royal great-grandmother, known to you commoners as Queen Elizabeth. She and Prince Harry met the babe this morning at London's Kensington Palace,
reports. Potential names were probably...
Queen Gets $7.5M Raise
Apr 3, 2013 10:32 AM CDT
Queen Gets $7.5M Raise
'Sovereign grant' set at $54.5M
- Must be nice to be Queen Elizabeth: Taxpayers just gave her a $7.5 million raise. As the AP explains, taxpayer funds cover her official duties and travel, the running of her household, and the maintenance of the royal palaces, and the "sovereign grant" has been set at more...
If William, Kate
She'll Be 'Princess'
Jan 10, 2013 10:30 AM CST
If William, Kate Have Daughter, She'll Be 'Princess'
Queen announces rule change
- Ever-so-important news: Prince William's forthcoming progeny with wife Kate, the Duchess Formerly Known as Middleton, will be a princess if it is indeed a girl. Queen Elizabeth made the announcement yesterday,
reports. For the past century, the somewhat confusing rule would have meant that William's daughter would...
Jun 27, 2012 7:01 AM CDT
Queen, Ex-IRA Chief Shake Hands
Queen Elizabeth, Martin McGuinness meet in Northern Ireland
- A hugely symbolic moment of reconciliation occurred across the pond today, as Queen Elizabeth II shook hands with a former Irish Republican Army commander. The
New York Times
describes it as "one of the most anticipated gestures in recent Irish history," and the
Made Us Rip Up
Wedding Guest List
May 22, 2012 8:46 AM CDT
Wills: Grandma Made Us Rip Up Wedding Guest List
Prince talks about Queen Elizabeth in new interview
- When Prince William first started planning his wedding to Kate Middleton, he was handed the original guest list, with 777 names on it—"not one person I knew or Catherine knew," he reveals in an ITV1 documentary about Queen Elizabeth airing next month. He took the list to...
Spain's Queen Sofia Snubs Brit Jubilee Over Gibraltar
May 17, 2012 4:14 AM CDT
Spain's Queen Sofia Snubs Brit Jubilee Over Gibraltar
Nations in dispute now over fishing rights
- Spain's Queen Sofia is dumping her planned trip to Britain to celebrate Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee in a long-simmering snit over Gibraltar. It's "hardly appropriate" for Sofia, 73, to attend lunch at Windsor Castle tomorrow in light of the two nations' tensions over the territory, noted...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.