Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Spiders to Intentionally
Run Wild at Museum
Sep 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Spiders to Intentionally Run Wild at Museum
Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum is letting its creepy-crawlies have free reign over venue during exhibit
- At one of Europe's most famous museums, life is definitely imitating art until early next year. "The museum is teeming with animals this season!" promises Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum in its promotion for "Clara and Crawly Creatures," its new exhibit focusing on insects and other creeping...
Dutch Royals Won't Use
Controversial Golden Coach
Jan 14, 2022 8:16 AM CST
Dutch Royals Won't Use Controversial Golden Coach
At least for the time being, due to its ties to Netherlands' colonial past, slave trade
- On Thursday the Dutch king ruled out using, for now at least, the royal family's "Golden Carriage." One side of the carriage bears a painting that critics say glorifies the Netherlands' colonial past, including its role in the global slave trade. The announcement was an acknowledgement of...
This Airport's Secret Weapon
Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Nov 29, 2021 1:28 PM CST
This Airport's Secret Weapon Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Officials hope the pigs will eat enough sugar beet near Amsterdam's Schiphol hub to fend off geese
- No one wants their plane to fly into a flock of birds during takeoff, and at one of the Netherlands' busiest hubs, they've come up with a most creative approach to try to prevent such an event. A six-week project has been launched that has stuck pigs on a...
Protest on COVID Restrictions
Turns City Into 'War Zone'
Nov 20, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Protest on COVID Restrictions Turns City Into 'War Zone'
Police fire on demonstrators in Dutch city of Rotterdam; 2 rioters hospitalized
- Police opened fire on protesters in rioting that erupted in downtown Rotterdam around a demonstration against COVID-19 restrictions late Friday night, with the Dutch city's mayor calling it "an orgy of violence." Police said two rioters were hospitalized after being hit by bullets, and investigations were underway...
Mafia Boss Look-Alike Seized
at Gunpoint, Thrown in Prison
Sep 14, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Mafia Boss Look-Alike Seized at Gunpoint, Thrown in Prison
Attorney blames Italian authorities for mix-up in the Hague
- An Englishman who traveled to the Netherlands to take in a Formula One race got more excitement than he bargained for when he was mistaken for an Italian Mafia boss, wanted for more than 50 murders. The 54-year-old, identified by his attorney as Mark L., was seized at gunpoint by...
Why Drug Traffickers Ran
Their Own Phone Company
Nov 17, 2019 2:40 PM CST
Why Drug Traffickers Ran Their Own Phone Company
It's all tied to the murder of Dutch crime blogger Martin Kok
- A Dutch crime blogger got into his Volkswagen Polo one night in 2016 and boom, he was shot dead—a crime that led authorities to a phone company allegedly run by violent criminals, Joseph Cox writes at Vice . Why a phone company? That's what makes it interesting. As for...
Want to Be
Oct 5, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
Holland Doesn't Want to Be Called Holland Anymore
In rebranding move, Holland will now be known just as the Netherlands
- If you're used to smoothly switching back and forth between "Holland" and "the Netherlands" when speaking about the land of windmills, tulips, and Gouda, train your tongue now for a more minimalist approach. That's because the Dutch government has decided to ditch the first name and...
in the Woods
Jul 21, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
Why Dutch Parents Leave Their Children in the Woods
It's called 'dropping,' and there's a philosophy behind it
- The Dutch call it "dropping": Parents drive their children to a remote location at night, drop them off, and say good luck. The tweens (and occasionally teens) have to navigate woods and dark roads and make it back to summer camp alone. Parents might follow but won't guide,...
This Country Is First to
Completely Ban Hells Angels
May 30, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
This Country Is First to Completely Ban Hells Angels
Netherlands prosecutors have been trying for more than a decade to get rid of the biker gang
- You probably won't see as many Harleys cruising around Holland anymore. The BBC reports that a court in the city of Utrecht has banned all Hells Angels, not just its local chapters, declaring in its Wednesday ruling that the violence brought about by the bikers "is often so...
Apr 14, 2019 4:20 PM CDT
DNA Tests Reveal What This Doctor Really Did
Jan Karbaat fathered 49 children through his clients
- Say your mother's fertility doctor was Jan Karbaat? Then you may have a lot of new half-siblings—and a father who apparently broke the law. Turns out the Dutch doctor betrayed his clients by impregnating them with his own sperm and fathering at least 49 children, the BBC reports....
Service Started at This Church
5 Weeks Ago. It's Still Going On
Nov 30, 2018 7:46 AM CST
Service Started at This Church 5 Weeks Ago. It's Still Going On
Dutch Protestant church is trying to protect Armenian refugee family from being deported
- A Netherlands church service that started before Halloween is still going on—all to keep police away from a family of Armenian refugees who have sought sanctuary there. Sasun and Anousche Tamrazyan and their three children, ages 14, 19, and 21, recently lost an appeal to stay in the country...
Cops Find Evidence of
Money Laundering in
Most Obvious Place
Nov 23, 2018 2:19 PM CST
Cops Find Evidence of Money Laundering in Most Obvious Place
Suspect busted after authorities in Amsterdam find $400K in cash crammed into washing machine
- Maybe someone figured that a washing machine would be the last literal place that cops would check when sussing out a money-laundering scheme, but that someone may have placed the wrong bet. The AP and CNN report a 24-year-old man has been arrested in the Netherlands after police descended on...
Rembrandt Masterpiece to
Get Unusual Restoration
Oct 16, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Rembrandt Masterpiece to Get Unusual Restoration
Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum says years-long effort will be public
- Conservators repairing a masterpiece of the Dutch Golden Age will have the added pressure of crowds watching their every move. Beginning in July, Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum will display the restoration of Rembrandt van Rijn's 1642 masterpiece "The Night Watch" from within a specially designed glass chamber in its...
Aug 9, 2018 5:15 PM CDT
Officials Let Woman, 29, Kill Herself With Poison
Aurelia Brouwers applied for legal euthanasia in the Netherlands
- Aurelia Brouwers tried to kill herself many times, and ultimately succeeded—with the government's help. The 29-year-old Dutch woman won the right to die after squeaking through an approval process that usually denies psychiatric cases, the BBC reports. "When I was 12, I suffered from depression," she...
Dec 9, 2016 8:36 AM CST
Populist Dutch Lawmaker Guilty of Hate Speech
Geert Wilders convicted for inciting discrimination
- A populist and anti-Islam Dutch lawmaker was found guilty Friday of insulting and inciting discrimination against Moroccans, a conviction that Geert Wilders slammed as a "shameful" attack on free speech and an attempt to "neutralize" him. Judge Hendrik Steenhuis said the court wouldn't impose a sentence because...
Not as Isolated
Oct 24, 2014 8:12 AM CDT
Easter Islanders Not as Isolated as Thought
Genetic data suggests travel to and from South America 20-plus generations ago
- Easter Island, or Rapa Nui, is such a remote speck of rock in the Pacific Ocean that it has been nicknamed "navel of the world." Yet a review of genetic data of 27 natives suggests the islanders made contact with outsiders hundreds of years before the first Europeans...
'Flees' $3M Pad
Jul 25, 2014 4:37 PM CDT
Putin's Daughter 'Flees' $3M Pad in Holland
Maria Putin was told that 'it's time you leave'
- Vladimir Putin's daughter may be
persona non grata
in Holland, and you can imagine why. Maria Putin, 29, hasn't been seen around her posh riverside flat in a town outside of Amsterdam since Malaysia Flight 17 went down in Ukraine, with 193 Dutch people among the victims, the...
Have Their Own
Feb 22, 2014 5:48 PM CST
Dementia Patients Have Their Own Village
Dutch establishment lets dementia patients live normally
- Imagine suffering from dementia while living a relatively normal life—cooking, cleaning, and going about your business. Well, elderly people in mental decline are experiencing just that at a so-called village in the town of Weesp, in Holland, reports Gizmodo . Called Dementia Village , it allows residents to go about their...
Ban Goes Live
Apr 27, 2012 8:40 AM CDT
Dutch Judge: Pot Tourism Ban Goes Live on Tuesday
Coffee shop owners plan to appeal
- Sorry, tourists, but it looks like the Netherlands is remaining firm on a ban that will prevent foreigners from buying pot in its famous cannabis cafes. A judge upheld the new law, due to go into effect in three southern provinces on May 1 and throughout the country by the...
Jan 21, 2012 3:00 PM CST
Dutch Teen Sails 'Round the World
Laura Dekker completes voyage in Caribbean
- Dutch teenager Laura Dekker sailed into the Caribbean harbor of St. Maarten to a cheering crowd today after circumnavigating the globe, the
reports. Controversies surround the 16-year-old sailor, who fled Holland in 2010 when officials tried to stop her voyage. Dekker claims to be the youngest round-the-world sailor, but...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.