Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bannon's Co-Founder Pleads
Guilty in 'Build the Wall' Scam
Apr 21, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Bannon's Co-Founder Pleads Guilty in 'Build the Wall' Scam
Brian Kolfage admits to taking hundreds of thousands in donors' money
: The co-founder of the project to raise money for a border wall pleaded guilty Thursday in a case that once included Steve Bannon, who was an adviser to former President Donald Trump. Brian Kolfage admitted to pocketing hundreds of thousands of dollars, the AP reports, while promising that all...
Body Takes a Turn
Mar 1, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Search for Ex-Police Chief's Body Takes a Turn
William Anthony Spivey, 36, was found very much alive in South Carolina
- An abandoned boat, a .22 caliber rifle holding a discharged round, and handwritten letters. If that sounds like the scene of a possible suicide, well, police claim that's what William Anthony Spivey wanted you to think. They allege the former police chief of North Carolina's Chadbourn Police Department...
Gambling Nun to Serve Year
Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
Feb 8, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Gambling Nun to Serve Year Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
'I have no excuses,' says Sister Mary Margaret Kreuper, who stole $835K from Catholic school
A California nun and retired principal who embezzled $835,000 in donations, tuition, and fees from a Catholic elementary school will now have to pay it all back and serve a year behind bars. "I have sinned, I've broken the law, and I have no excuses,"...
'Who Steals From a Deaf Kid?'
Allegedly, Alex Murdaugh
Jan 6, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Who Steals From a Deaf Kid?' Allegedly, Alex Murdaugh
Fox News unravels his alleged embezzlement crimes
- We're learning more details about the alleged financial fraud of Alex Murdaugh, including claims that the South Carolina lawyer stole from a deaf quadriplegic he represented following a car accident, and a former highway patrolman he represented following an injury in the line of duty. Murdaugh, already accused of...
Mistrial Declared in
Michael Avenatti Case
Aug 24, 2021 5:08 PM CDT
Mistrial Declared in Michael Avenatti Case
He's accused of cheating clients out of millions
- A California judge declared a mistrial Tuesday in the embezzlement trial of attorney Michael Avenatti, who is charged with stealing millions in settlement money from his clients. US District Judge James V. Selna ruled on technical grounds that federal prosecutors failed to turn over relevant financial evidence to Avenatti, the...
Spends Most of It
at Adult Website
in case you missed it
Aug 21, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Florida Man Embezzles $12.8M, Spends Most of It at Adult Website
He and his stepson's fiancee were allegedly in on scheme together
- A Florida man pleaded guilty to embezzling more than $12.8 million from the nonprofit where he worked—and spending most of it at an adult website. Ralph Puglisi signed the plea agreement in June and it was filed last week, the
Tampa Bay Times
reports. The 59-year-old was the...
Indicted Cardinal: Pope
'Wanted Me to Be on Trial'
Jul 27, 2021 5:02 PM CDT
Indicted Cardinal: Pope 'Wanted Me to Be on Trial'
Charges include embezzlement and abuse of office
- A fraud and embezzlement trial involving charges of mismanagement of the Holy See's investments began Tuesday in Vatican City, with a once-powerful cardinal among the 10 defendants saying he remains obedient to Pope Francis, who stripped his privileges to bring him before the tribunal. "He wanted me to...
Jul 3, 2021 1:35 PM CDT
Vatican Indicts Cardinal in Financial Crimes
Charity money was lost in high-risk schemes, charges say
- The Vatican announced Saturday that 10 people, one of them an Italian cardinal, will be put on trial this month on financial charges including extortion, corruption, and fraud. Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Becciu was indicted on charges of abuse of office, bribery, and embezzlement, CNN reports. Becciu, 73, issued a statement...
Nun Embezzled $835K
to Fund Gambling Habit
Jun 8, 2021 6:38 PM CDT
Nun Embezzled $835K to Fund Gambling Habit
Mary Margaret Kreuper could get 40 years
- A Los Angeles nun who took a vow of poverty has agreed to plea guilty to federal charges for stealing more than $800,000 to pay for a gambling habit, prosecutors announced Tuesday. Mary Margaret Kreuper, 79, was charged Tuesday with one count of wire fraud and one count of...
South Korea's Biggest
Manhunt Ever Is Over
Jul 24, 2020 8:58 AM CDT
South Korea's Biggest Manhunt Ever Is Over
Yoo Hyuk-kee, wanted after 2014 sinking of Sewol ferry, was nabbed at home in New York
- He may not have been steering the ferry that sank six years ago in South Korean waters, but Yoo Hyuk-kee was nevertheless a wanted man. Now Yoo—also known as Keith Yoo—is in police custody in New York, accused with other family members of embezzling millions from the company...
Former Union Leader:
Yes, I Did It. All of It.
Jun 3, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
Former Union Leader: Yes, I Did It. All of It.
Gary Jones admits to embezzling from the United Auto Workers Union
- Gary Jones has confessed to embezzling over $1 million from rank-and-file members of the United Auto Workers Union, the
New York Times
reports. The former UAW president pleaded guilty Wednesday and admitted to skimming money for various personal expenses including golf outings, pricey meals, vacation rentals, liquor, and clothing. Prosecutors...
The Ballet School Was Missing
$1.5M. The Story Gets Stranger
Mar 17, 2020 1:15 PM CDT
The Ballet School Was Missing $1.5M. The Story Gets Stranger
A convicted embezzler is again at the center of a financial mess
- They gave her a second chance. Bad idea, perhaps. The
New York Times
reports on the financial mess the elite Kirov Academy of Ballet in Washington, DC, finds itself in: As the paper puts it, the school is "recovering from one of the bigger embezzlement scandals in the history...
'They Had a Great Marriage.'
Now a Murder Charge
in case you missed it
Mar 1, 2020 7:13 AM CST
'They Had a Great Marriage.' Now a Murder Charge
Idaho woman charged with killing hubby as embezzlement allegations came to light
- She said her husband fell overboard while the couple were taking in the sunrise from the middle of a chilly Idaho lake on Feb. 13, 2018. Two years later, police say Lori Isenberg in fact killed her husband, Larry, on the same day she was accused of embezzling $500,000...
Church Volunteer Allegedly
Stole Half a Million Dollars
Feb 12, 2020 2:40 PM CST
Church Volunteer Allegedly Stole Half a Million Dollars
Taisha Smith-DeJoseph allegedly used embezzled money to pay for her wedding
- Weddings aren't cheap—unless someone else is footing the bill. New Jersey authorities allege that very arrangement played out in the case of Taisha Smith-DeJoseph, who they say embezzled $561,777 from the church whose finances she oversaw as a volunteer, per a press release . The 43-year-old has been...
Cops: Mayor Embezzled
From His Own Grandmother
Feb 11, 2020 12:32 PM CST
Cops: Mayor Embezzled From His Own Grandmother
Tennessee's Chris Jones allegedly stole $394K while she had dementia
- The mayor of a Tennessee town is behind bars, where he could remain for the next 25 years. Mount Carmel's Chris Jones was arrested Monday, days after he was indicted on charges of stealing nearly $400,000 from his grandmother, who suffered from dementia in the year before she...
Nov 2, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Bad News for United Auto Workers President
The feds accuse Gary Jones of embezzlement
- The president of United Auto Workers has stepped aside while a federal embezzlement probe closes in on him, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Gary Jones took a leave of absence—paid leave, in other words—only days after a top aide was formally charged. But the charge against Edward Robinson,...
School: Nuns Used 'Forgotten'
Account, Stole Up to $500K
Dec 10, 2018 4:33 AM CST
School: Nuns Used 'Forgotten' Account, Stole Up to $500K
St. James Catholic School in Torrance, Calif., says it's not pressing charges
- It wasn't a noteworthy request, but what it helped reveal was significant: A family asked for a copy of a check they had paid to a California Catholic school. But when the staff at St. James Catholic School in Torrance retrieved it, they realized it had been deposited into...
Jailed Banker's Wife Could
Be Forced to Join Him
Nov 8, 2018 10:29 AM CST
Jailed Banker's Wife Could Be Forced to Join Him
Zamira Hajiyeva fighting extradition to Azerbaijan over embezzlement allegations
- A woman from Azerbaijan whose fortune has been targeted by British authorities under anti-corruption laws was freed on bail Thursday while she battles extradition to her homeland over embezzlement allegations. Zamira Hajiyeva is the first person to be subject to an Unexplained Wealth Order, a measure introduced this year in...
Cops: Volunteer Stole $88K
From Girl Scouts, Cancer Center
Sep 19, 2018 5:13 PM CDT
Cops: Volunteer Stole $88K From Girl Scouts, Cancer Center
Patricia Cascione was a volunteer treasurer for the scouts
- Authorities on Wednesday said they arrested a California woman for allegedly embezzling more than $88,000 from two non-profit organizations. Patricia Cascione was arrested Monday at her Santa Clarita home, CBS reports, in the culmination of a 15-month investigation that began when the Girl Scouts approached the LA County Sheriff'...
Rick Gates Admits Affair
Aug 8, 2018 3:36 AM CDT
Rick Gates Admits Affair During Cross-Examination
He says it's possible he stole from Trump inauguration committee
- There were more bombshells as Rick Gates' testimony in Paul Manafort's trial continued Tuesday, with the former Trump campaign chairman's defense team attacking the credibility of his erstwhile right-hand man. Gates, who has already admitted embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars from Manafort, confessed to an extra-marital affair...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.