Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
a 'Return to
Jan 22, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Zen Master Preached Compassion, a 'Return to the Breath'
Revered Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh has died at the age of 95
- Thich Nhat Hanh, the revered Zen Buddhist monk who helped spread the practice of mindfulness in the West and socially engaged Buddhism in the East, has died. He was 95. The death was confirmed by a monk at Tu Hieu Pagoda in Hue, Vietnam, who said that Nhat Hanh, known...
Monks Are Sitting on
4K Discs of Cheese
Mar 26, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Monks Are Sitting on 4K Discs of Cheese
With demand plummeting, French monastery sells online
- The pandemic has cut sales of the cheese produced at a French monastery in half. Restaurants are closed, and customers don't stop by the Cîteaux Abbey's shop these days. So the basement is filling up with 4,000 semi-soft discs, the
reports. The Trappist monks who...
May 22, 2019 7:18 AM CDT
Belgian Monks Revive Medieval Beer Techniques
And they're building a microbrewery at Grimbergen monastery
- The monks of Grimbergen Abbey in Belgium are getting back in the beer business with recipes that go back to the 12th century. The monks there spent four years poring over hard-to-decipher monastery books written in old Dutch and Latin and have produced a new brew based on the old...
Monk Meditates in
Tiger Reserve, Gets
Killed by Leopard
Dec 13, 2018 8:34 AM CST
Monk Meditates in Tiger Reserve, Gets Killed by Leopard
Not a great choice of locale
- A Buddhist monk’s monthlong forest meditation was interrupted in a most horrid way Wednesday in India. Rahul Walke, 35, was meditating under a tree in Maharashtra’s Ramdegi forest, home to a Buddhist temple and a protected tiger reserve, when a leopard attacked, reports the
Times of India
Sues L'Oreal Over
Aug 30, 2017 4:04 PM CDT
Former Monk Sues L'Oreal Over Anti-Aging Formula
Says he was selling it to raise money for the poor until cosmetics giant came along
- A former Roman Catholic monk has filed a federal lawsuit against cosmetics giant L'Oreal, accusing the company of stealing patented technology in an anti-aging wrinkle cream that his charity was selling to raise money for the poor. Dennis Wyrzykowski and his company, Carmel Laboratories LLC, have been joined in...
NYC Tourists Warned
of Fake 'Hostile' Monks
Jun 27, 2016 2:37 AM CDT
NYC Tourists Warned of Fake 'Hostile' Monks
Buddhist leaders say men soliciting money are a real problem
- New York City Buddhist leaders are sounding the alarm to tourists: Beware the "fake monks." Men in orange robes claiming to be Buddhist monks are approaching visitors to some of the city's most popular attractions, handing them shiny medallions and offering greetings of peace. They then hit...
A Man Is Suing
Because of It
Apr 5, 2016 3:41 AM CDT
Monks Don't Brew Leffe. A Man Is Suing Because of It
It's not exactly brewed in smaller quantities, as Henry Vazquez believed it to be
- In the year 1240, Leffe came into being , brewed by Belgian monks at the Abbaye Notre-Dame de Leffe. The French Revolution put an end to the brewing in the 1790s, but the reestablishment of the abbey in 1929 was followed, 23 years later, by its restart, though no longer at...
Will Be Made
Mar 31, 2016 10:38 AM CDT
Shandling Will Be Made Buddhist Monk Posthumously
Sources give TMZ details of comedian's funeral
- Garry Shandling didn't speak much about it publicly, but he was Buddhist, and he had planned what TMZ calls an "elaborate" Buddhist funeral before his death. Sources tell the gossip site Shandling's head will be shaved by a monk, a symbolic gesture that ordains Shandling as a...
Monk Embezzled $200K
From Temple to Fuel
Mar 17, 2016 8:30 PM CDT
Monk Embezzled $200K From Temple to Fuel Gambling Habit
Khang Nguyen Le pleaded guilty
- A Buddhist monk accused of embezzling more than $200,000 from his Louisiana temple to feed a casino gambling habit has pleaded guilty to fraud, the AP reports. The
reports that 38-year-old Khang Nguyen Le will be sentenced June 27 after his guilty plea Thursday to one count of...
Is Philly's Newest
Jan 12, 2016 6:05 PM CST
Buddhist Monk Is Philly's Newest Crimefighter
61-year-old tried to take down thief who interrupted his lotto session
- Don't mess with Philadelphia's men of the cloth—especially if those cloths are orange. A 61-year-old Buddhist monk at a lottery machine in a Philly gas station Jan. 3 was targeted by a thief who probably assumed the holy man was an easy mark, the
Philadelphia Daily News
Monks Lied About
King Arthur's Burial
to Raise Cash
Nov 27, 2015 8:30 AM CST
Monks Lied About King Arthur's Burial to Raise Cash
Supposed grave is really a pit of rubble
- A team of 31 specialists led by an archaeologist at the University of Reading are shedding light on some supposed Dark Age legends in their four-year work at Glastonbury Abbey in the UK, reports the
. To wit: "Those feet, immortalized in William Blake’s poem Jerusalem , never walked...
Man's Body Found in
Ancient Buddha Statue
Feb 23, 2015 6:00 PM CST
Man's Body Found in Ancient Buddha Statue
Dutch experts say it's the Buddhist master Liuquan
- Look inside a 1,000-year-old Chinese Buddha statue, and what do you find? Why, a mummified body, of course. At least that's what Dutch researchers saw when performing a CT scan on a statue shown last year in the Netherlands at Drents Museum, Discover reports. The body is believed...
Is Just in Trance
Feb 5, 2015 9:18 AM CST
Buddhists: Mummified Monk Is Just in Trance
Lama found in lotus position may not be dead, experts suggest
- The 200-year-old Buddhist monk found still seated in the lotus position is not dead, but is rather in a rare spiritual state known as
, Buddhism experts suggest. Dr. Barry Kerzin, a famous fellow monk who is also a physician to the Dalai Lama, tells the
Alaska Nuns Crack Case of Monks' Missing Boat
Dec 26, 2014 1:59 PM CST
Alaska Nuns Crack Case of Monks' Missing Boat
Eagle-eyed sisters help remote monastery near Kodiak solve what happened to skiff
- What crime could there possibly be on a desolate, wooded island near Kodiak, Alaska, where a community of Orthodox Christian monks are holed up in a monastery? Boat-napping, according to Alaska State Troopers, who say that the Archangel, a 21-foot aluminum skiff used as the monks' primary means of transport...
US Gets a Taste of
Jan 17, 2014 2:34 PM CST
US Gets a Taste of Monk-Brewed Beer
Massachusetts abbey becomes first Trappist brewery outside of Europe
- American monks are done letting their European counterparts have all the brewing fun. For more than a century, Catholic Cistercian monks known as Trappists have been brewing and selling what many beer lovers consider some of the best in the world. Eight monasteries—six in Belgium and one each in...
Export Rare Brew
Dec 15, 2012 4:33 PM CST
Beer Lovers, Rejoice: Monks Export Rare Brew
Westvleteren 12 sales will pay for abbey renovation
- Beer fans, meet the monks of St. Sixtus Abbey. The Belgian monks are temporarily exporting their world-famous brew, Westvleteren 12, to pay for a pricey abbey renovation, NPR reports. The monks lead such a spartan, devout life that they lack cash reserves, so they're selling the beer at select...
Thailand's Tubby Monks
to Get Nutrition Lessons
Aug 4, 2012 6:00 AM CDT
Thailand's Tubby Monks to Get Nutrition Lessons
Study finds nearly half of country's monks are obese
- Thailand's monks have been piling on too many pounds on their way to enlightenment. Authorities plan to educate the country's hundreds of thousands of Buddhist monks about healthy eating following a study that found 45% of them are obese and 40% of them suffer from diseases such as...
Monks Fight for Right
to Sell Caskets
May 30, 2012 6:14 PM CDT
Monks Fight for Right to Sell Caskets
Monastery heads to court against state of Louisiana
- A group of monks in Louisiana is heading to federal appeals court in a battle against the state. The monks want the right to sell their handcrafted caskets, but the state has demanded they cease and desist because of regulations regarding "funeral merchandise"—which the monks say were...
May 26, 2011 3:15 AM CDT
Pope Evicts 'Loose-Living' Monks
Monks hosted concerts starring prancing nuns
- Some party-loving monks have been evicted from Rome's Santa Croce monastery by order of the Pope. The monks, whose abbey was attached to a church holding some of Catholicism's holiest relics, staged concerts featuring a lap dancer-turned-nun, hosted VIP guests including Madonna, and opened a hotel with a...
Guy Exists on
Beer Alone for Lent
Mar 13, 2011 7:27 AM CDT
Guy Exists on Beer Alone for Lent
Man says he is drinking only 'liquid bread' to 'educate' people
- Whereas some people might give up alcohol for Lent, a 38-year-old Iowa man is existing on nothing but, reports the
. J. Wilson, a beer aficionado and blogger, said he came up with the idea when reading about German monks who did not eat during Lent, but who drank...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.