Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Had David Ortiz Shot
Mar 21, 2022 1:33 AM CDT
PI: Jealous Drug Kingpin Had David Ortiz Shot
Findings of private investigators contradict Dominican prosecutors' account of the crime
- A Dominican drug trafficker who was jealous of David Ortiz and felt disrespected by him had him shot at a Dominican nightclub in 2019, according to private investigators the Red Sox slugger hired to look into the attack that nearly killed him. The findings by former Boston police commissioner Edward...
to Hall of Fame
Jan 26, 2022 12:17 AM CST
Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens Denied Entry to Hall of Fame
David Ortiz, however, is elected on his first try
- David Ortiz gazed at his phone, his pursed lips revealing nerves rarely seen from one of the game's great clutch hitters. Pedro Martinez's hand rested on Ortiz's shoulder, and Martinez grinned when the good news came through. The former teammates embraced, and Martinez welcomed Ortiz into a...
Surprise for Boston
Apr 13, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
John Krasinski Has Sweet Surprise for Boston Hospital Workers
A trip to Fenway, free season tickets, and a sincere thank-you
- Some celebrity offerings amid the coronavirus aren't landing so well . John Krasinski seems to be a big exception to the rule. His no-frills "Some Good News" series on YouTube already has featured a reunion of sorts between him and Steve Carell about
. And his new episode...
Sep 14, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
David Ortiz: Here's What Really Happened
The former Red Sox slugger tells what it was like to be shot
- "I almost died, man. I was in a coma. People were criticizing me as if I deserved to be killed." So said a teary-eyed David Ortiz in his first interview after being shot in the Dominic Republic on June 9, CNN reports. When the bullet slashed through his...
Hospital Releases David Ortiz
Jul 28, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
Hospital Releases David Ortiz
Retired Red Sox star was shot in the back last month
- David Ortiz, the retired Red Sox star who was shot in the back last month, has been released from a Boston hospital. He was sitting on a bar patio in Santo Domingo on June 9 when a gunman approached and shot him; the lead prosecutor has said Ortiz may have...
Dominican AG Agrees
With Ortiz Shooting Suspect
Jun 19, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Dominican AG Agrees With Ortiz Shooting Suspect
Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez says there was another target
- The Dominican Republic's lead prosecutor says former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was not the target of a shooting in a nightclub in his hometown on June 9, the AP reports. Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez says the target was another man, dressed similarly to Ortiz, who was...
Ortiz Shooting Suspect
Makes Surprising New Claim
Jun 14, 2019 2:27 PM CDT
Ortiz Shooting Suspect Makes Surprising New Claim
'It wasn't supposed to be David,' he says, but prosecutors don't believe him
- The man accused of shooting David Ortiz now says the baseball star wasn't the intended target. "It wasn't supposed to be David," said Rolfi Ferreira Cruz, speaking to reporters in Spanish from his jail cell in the Dominican Republic, per TMZ . The 25-year-old did not say...
The Price on
Jun 13, 2019 6:42 AM CDT
The Price on Ortiz's Head? $7,830
Alleged shooter is now in custody
- Police in the Dominican Republic revealed more details of a plot to kill Red Sox great David Ortiz Wednesday—but they declined to discuss possible motives. Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte said alleged shooter Rolfi Ferreira Cruz, 25, had been arrested, CNN reports. Six people are now...
Attack on Ortiz Was More
Sophisticated Than Thought
Jun 12, 2019 1:44 PM CDT
Attack on Ortiz Was More Sophisticated Than Thought
According to video, witnesses, say prosecutors
- Dominican prosecutors say witnesses and security camera footage show that the attempt to kill former Red Sox star David Ortiz was carried out by two men on a motorcycle and two other groups of people in cars, indicating a new level of sophistication in the attack. In a court document...
Wounded 'Big Papi'
Returns to Boston
Jun 11, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Wounded 'Big Papi' Returns to Boston
Red Sox flew him back for treatment
- Beloved Red Sox slugger David Ortiz landed in Boston on Monday night, just 24 hours after he was shot at a nightclub in the Dominican Republic. The former player was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after arriving on a plane chartered by the team, the
reports. The 43-year-old...
Key Police Question:
Was 'Big Papi' the Target?
Jun 10, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Key Police Question: Was 'Big Papi' the Target?
Former Red Sox star David Ortiz recuperating from gunshot wound
- By all accounts, former Red Sox star David Ortiz is out of imminent danger after being shot in a Dominican Republic bar Sunday night. However, the 43-year-old did suffer serious injuries, including organ damage, and will remain in the ICU for 24 hours, reports the
. Citing a person...
Red Sox Legend Wounded
in Dominican Republic Shooting
Jun 10, 2019 2:47 AM CDT
Red Sox Legend Wounded in Dominican Republic Shooting
David Ortiz expected to make full recovery
- Boston Red Sox great David Ortiz is in stable condition after a shooting in the Dominican Republic on Sunday night, police say. Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte says the 43-year-old slugger was shot in the back from behind at near point-blank range at a nightclub in Santo...
Former Red Sox Star:
I Wouldn't Go to WH, Either
May 9, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Former Red Sox Star: I Wouldn't Go to WH, Either
"It's like you are going to shake hands with the enemy," David Ortiz says
- Thursday is the day when the 2018 World Series champs are headed to the White House for a visit with President Trump. But a good number of the Boston Red Sox don't plan on attending, and a former player is offering solidarity. The
reports that manager Alex...
Over Obama Selfie
Apr 4, 2014 4:46 AM CDT
White House Slams Samsung Over Obama Selfie
President 'not to be used for commercial purposes'
- President Obama doesn't want to be used to hawk Samsung smartphones, the White House warned after the electronics giant tweeted a photo of the president and Red Sox star David Ortiz to its 5.2 million followers. Ortiz—who has an endorsement deal with Samsung—took the selfie when...
Red Sox Win World Series
Oct 31, 2013 12:03 AM CDT
Red Sox Win World Series
Beat Cardinals 6-1; first championship at home since 1918
- David Ortiz and the Boston Red Sox romped to their third World Series championship in 10 seasons, thumping October ace Michael Wacha and the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1 last night in Game 6. Shane Victorino drove in four runs and John Lackey pitched shutout ball into the seventh inning as...
Red Sox Take 3-2 Lead
Oct 29, 2013 12:01 AM CDT
Red Sox Take 3-2 Lead
They beat Cardinals 3-1 in Game 5
- Jon Lester pitched the Boston Red Sox within a whisker of yet another World Series championship. He bested Adam Wainwright once again, journeyman David Ross hit a tiebreaking double in the seventh inning, and the Red Sox downed the St. Louis Cardinals 3-1 last night to take a 3-2 Series...
Fine by Me
Apr 22, 2013 12:17 PM CDT
FCC Chairman: Boston Player's On-Air F-Bomb Fine by Me
Julius Genachowski stands with David Ortiz, Boston
- David Ortiz recently let an F-bomb fly during a live broadcast, but the Boston Red Sox player had kind of a good reason—and even the FCC chairman agrees. "This is our f---ing city and nobody’s going to dictate our freedom," Ortiz said Saturday before the Sox...
I Never Used Steroids
Aug 8, 2009 3:30 PM CDT
Ortiz: I Never Used Steroids
- David Ortiz says he has never used steroids, despite his inclusion on baseball's infamous list of juicers from 2003, the
reports. “I used a lot of supplements and vitamins" back then, the Red Sox slugger said at a press conference today. He acknowledged being a "bit careless"...
Manny, Ortiz Both
on '03 Doping List
Jul 30, 2009 1:08 PM CDT
Manny, Ortiz Both on '03 Doping List
- Insiders say both Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz are on “the list” of baseball players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, the
New York Times
reports. Ramirez recently finished a 50-game suspension for taking a banned drug; it’s the first time Ortiz—Ramirez’s teammate on...
Dutchmen Flying High
After Dominican Upset
Mar 11, 2009 12:43 PM CDT
Dutchmen Flying High After Dominican Upset
- The Netherlands’ upset of a squad full of big-league Dominican talent still seems pretty far-fetched, Jeff Passan writes for Yahoo Sports the day after the stunning Dutch victory in the World Baseball Classic. “They beat a team paid more than $80 million this year by melding kids trying to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.