Police in the Dominican Republic revealed more details of a plot to kill Red Sox great David Ortiz Wednesday—but they declined to discuss possible motives. Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte said alleged shooter Rolfi Ferreira Cruz, 25, had been arrested, CNN reports. Six people are now in custody in connection with the Sunday night shooting and one suspect is still at large, Bautista Altamonte said.
He said the suspects were offered $400,000 Dominican pesos, around $7,830 US, to carry out the hit on Ortiz, CNN reports. NJ.com reports that the alleged shooter is believed to be the same Rolfi Ferreira Cruz who is wanted for two 2017 street robberies in New Jersey. Ortiz, 43, is recovering in a Massachusetts hospital. His wife, Tiffany, said Wednesday that he is "making good progress toward recovery" after surgery, the BBC reports. (Read more David Ortiz stories.)