Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Cancer Drug May
Offer Alternative to Chemo
Sep 13, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
New Cancer Drug May Offer Alternative to Chemo
Amgen's KRAS-targeting drug showed strong results, but it's pricey
- Chemotherapy, known as much for its toxic side effects as its cancer-fighting prowess, may have some serious competition. Per the
Wall Street Journal,
biopharma giant Amgen released significant new data from a study of Lumakras, which last year became the first drug of its kind to gain FDA approval. The...
This Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
on Danger of Air Pollution
Sep 13, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
This Is a 'Wake-Up Call' on Danger of Air Pollution
Researchers discover how fine particulate matter triggers gene mutations to form lung cancer
- For some of us, cells in our lungs mutate with age. These mutations seem perfectly healthy—until they come up against air pollution. The result is rapid changes in the cells that turn them cancerous, which could explain why people who've never smoked still develop lung cancer, according to...
I Have Lung Cancer
Aug 2, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Kathy Griffin: I Have Lung Cancer
Comedian, who says she's never smoked, reveals she's getting half of her left lung removed
- A stunning announcement from Kathy Griffin to start the week, though one infused with positivity. "I've got to tell you guys something," she posted on social media on Monday morning, followed by: "I have cancer." Lung cancer, specifically, and the 60-year-old comedian noted she was...
I Have Lung Cancer
Feb 18, 2021 11:18 AM CST
Bob Dole: I Have Lung Cancer
Former senator and presidential candidate, 97, reveals Stage 4 diagnosis
- Health troubles continue for former long-serving Kansas senator Bob Dole, who's been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. The 97-year-old made the announcement Thursday, saying he would begin treatment on Monday. "While I certainly have some hurdles ahead, I also know that I join millions of Americans who...
Death of 'Screech' Points
to New Trend in Lung Cancer
Feb 6, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Death of 'Screech' Points to New Trend in Lung Cancer
The makeup of the statistical pie is changing
- When actor Dustin Diamond—aka "Screech"— died of lung cancer this week, it illustrated something showing up more and more in cancer stats: The 44-year-old had never smoked, reports Health.com . As a deep dive into the issue by Sharon Begley at STAT News makes clear, smoking is...
Bayside High Says
Goodbye to Screech
Feb 2, 2021 6:28 AM CST
Bayside High Says Goodbye to Screech
Mario Lopez, Mark-Paul Gosselaar react to death of 'Saved by the Bell' co-star Dustin Diamond
- As news of Dustin Diamond's Monday death settles in, his former co-stars from
Saved by the Bell
are paying tribute, per
. "Dustin, you will be missed my man," Mario Lopez, who played AC Slater on the '90s sitcom, posted online to the guy best...
on His Cancer
Oct 20, 2020 6:24 AM CDT
Rush Limbaugh Shares News on His Cancer
Recent scans show disease progression that's going in 'wrong direction,' talk show host says
- Since he announced his lung cancer diagnosis in February, conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh hasn't talked about it too much on the air. On Monday, however, he gave listeners what the
calls an "emotional update," revealing that recent scans didn't offer good news....
Rush Limbaugh: I Have
'Advanced Lung Cancer'
Feb 3, 2020 3:07 PM CST
Rush Limbaugh: I Have 'Advanced Lung Cancer'
Radio host will be taking hiatus for treatment but plans to be back
- Rush Limbaugh told his radio listeners Monday that he has advanced lung cancer, reports Fox News . The 69-year-old conservative icon says he will have to miss some time from his show for treatment, but will try to "keep everything as normal" as possible. He said he hopes to be...
On Cancer Death Rate
in the US, a Historic Dip
Jan 8, 2020 8:11 AM CST
On Cancer Death Rate in the US, a Historic Dip
2.2% drop in 2017 is biggest single-year decline in mortality rate, helped along by lung cancer gains
- Since 1930, the American Cancer Society has been tracking the cancer death rate in the US—the number of deaths per 100,000 people—and its latest report shows the biggest single-year drop ever: 2.2% in 2017, reports the
. That record one-year decline is tacked onto a...
'Don't Be an Idiot'
Feb 24, 2019 8:41 AM CST
Man's Obituary: 'Don't Be an Idiot'
Geoffrey Turner died of lung cancer, uses his last words to urge others to quit smoking
- Geoffrey Turner is dead, and he would like you to know exactly why: "I was an idiot who made the same stupid decision, day-after-day, multiple times per day. I was a smoker and even though I knew it may eventually kill me, I chose to deny the truth to...
Ginsburg Home From Hospital
After Cancer Surgery
Dec 26, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Ginsburg Home From Hospital After Cancer Surgery
Supreme Court justice is recuperating after cancerous lung growths were removed
- It's been a year of medical emergencies for Ruth Bader Ginsburg, but the Supreme Court justice is now back home and recovering after her most recent health issue. Per CNN , a court spokeswoman revealed Wednesday that Ginsburg was discharged from NYC's Memorial Sloan Kettering hospital on Tuesday, four...
Drug Shows Dramatic
Results in Lung Cancer Trial
Apr 16, 2018 7:15 PM CDT
Drug Shows Dramatic Results in Lung Cancer Trial
New hope in fight against the most common form of lung cancer
- For the first time, a treatment that boosts the immune system greatly improved survival in people newly diagnosed with the most common form of lung cancer, the AP reports. In the study, Merck's Keytruda, given with chemotherapy, cut in half the risk of dying or having the cancer...
Cancer Patient Scores $37M
Win in Talcum Powder Lawsuit
Apr 6, 2018 10:48 AM CDT
Cancer Patient Scores $37M Win in Talcum Powder Lawsuit
NJ couple receives compensatory damages from Johnson & Johnson for cancer tied to asbestos
- Stephen Lanzo says he used Johnson & Johnson products for decades, including products with talcum powder (e.g., the company's famous baby powder), and that his aggressive form of lung cancer was brought about by that powder. On Thursday, a jury awarded the New Jersey banker and his wife...
Larry King: 'It Was Malignant'
Sep 13, 2017 2:30 PM CDT
Larry King: 'It Was Malignant'
King reveals cancer diagnosis, surgery
- Larry King has revealed a recent battle with lung cancer, though he says "it wasn't really a battle." He explains in a new interview with
that during a routine checkup, a chest X-ray led to a CAT scan and then a PET scan, and doctors told...
What Ronnie Wood Wouldn't
Have Done to Fight Cancer
Aug 7, 2017 10:39 AM CDT
What Ronnie Wood Wouldn't Have Done to Fight Cancer
There would've been no chemo if cancer had spread: 'This hair wasn't going anywhere'
- Three months ago, Ronnie Wood was diagnosed with lung cancer, right before he turned 70. In a recent interview with the
, Wood, the
hard-living, hard-partying guitarist in the Rolling Stones, says he refused chemotherapy as a treatment option because he wanted to keep his...
Cancer Patients' Gray Hair
Darkened While on New Drugs
Jul 22, 2017 11:16 AM CDT
Cancer Patients' Gray Hair Darkened While on New Drugs
14 patients in lung cancer study saw color return to their hair as side effect
- Cancer patients' gray hair unexpectedly turned youthfully dark while taking novel drugs, and it has doctors scratching their heads. The AP reports chemotherapy is notorious for making hair fall out, but the 14 patients involved were all being treated with new immunotherapy drugs that work differently and have different side...
Elderly Wood Seller Loses Wife,
Gains Thousands of Supporters
Nov 25, 2016 3:20 PM CST
Elderly Wood Seller Loses Wife, Gains Thousands of Supporters
Kenneth Smith sells wood on side of road to pay off wife's medical bills
- "It makes me think that we live in a good country," Kenneth Smith tells WLOX . The 80-year-old Mississippi man has been selling wood on the side of the road since last year, first with his wife, Helen, by his side, then—after Helen's death from lung cancer...
US Cancer Patients Become
Unlikely Cuban Drug Smugglers
Nov 16, 2016 4:37 PM CST
US Cancer Patients Become Unlikely Cuban Drug Smugglers
'American treatments were not helping me. What other choice did I have?'
- "When we were children, we were taught that Cubans didn't know what they were doing," 69-year-old Mick Phillips says. "Turns out they do." The
New York Times
looks at American lung cancer patients, like Phillips, who are traveling to Cuba and smuggling back a cancer...
Ominous Stats on the
Women's Cancer Horizon
Nov 2, 2016 4:45 PM CDT
Ominous Stats on the Women's Cancer Horizon
A 60% rise in deaths by 2030, per an ACS report
- Two disturbing reports were issued this week on the cancer front, with one noting women will see a spike in cancer deaths over the next decade or so—5.5 million cancer deaths by the year 2030. The other report adds that women afflicted with breast cancer alone could nearly...
John Stossel Has
Apr 20, 2016 5:40 PM CDT
John Stossel Has Cancer, Laments 'Socialist' Hospital's Customer Service
'Bureaucrats don't care if you sleep'
- Fox News host John Stossel has lung cancer. But don't worry, his doctors tell him he'll be fine. No, Stossel has something else on his mind in an opinion piece published Wednesday on Fox News. "I get excellent medical care here. But…I have to say the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.