Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Be a Problem
Nov 16, 2022 12:01 PM CST
Your Headphone Volume Could Be a Problem
Up to 1.3B young people at risk of hearing loss, researchers say
- There are now an estimated 8 billion people on the planet—and up to 1.35 billion of them are at risk of hearing loss from listening to too-loud music, research suggests. In a study published in
BMJ Global Health
, researchers say roughly 1 in 4 people aged 12 to...
A Revolution on
Hearing Aids Begins
Oct 18, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
A Revolution on Hearing Aids Begins
Chains are now offering less expensive over-the-counter versions
- You can now buy a pair of hearing aids at Walmart for as little as $199—a fraction of the $4,000 average cost of traditional prescription hearing aids, per CNN . As a result of a 2017 federal law and some prodding of the FDA by the Biden administration, hearing...
FDA Making a Big Shift
on Hearing Aids
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
FDA Making a Big Shift on Hearing Aids
Plan would make them available over the counter at a cheaper price
- Nearly five years after it was urged to make affordable hearing aids available over the counter, the FDA is taking a big step toward that goal. In a plan released Tuesday , the agency says it will create a new category of hearing aids that will be made available online and...
Singer Jessie J
Woke Up Feeling
in One Ear
Dec 29, 2020 1:01 AM CST
Singer Jessie J Woke Up Feeling 'Completely Deaf' in One Ear
She's been diagnosed with Meniere's disease
- It's likely one of a singer's biggest fears: hearing loss. And it happened to Jessie J, the British star revealed in an Instagram Live over the weekend, per
. The 32-year-old, who collaborated with Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj on her recent single "Bang Bang,"...
When He Wrote
in case you missed it
Feb 22, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Huey Lewis Was Jogging When He Wrote Famous Lyrics
Hearing-impaired singer reflects on 'Power of Love' as he releases what may be his last album
- Huey Lewis and the News just released a new album,
, but Lewis himself won't be able to listen to it. And longtime fans might have to reconcile with this being the group's last-ever release—thanks to the disease that has robbed the 69-year-old Lewis of his hearing....
To Protect Your Brain
Health, Do One Thing
Jan 4, 2020 2:30 PM CST
To Protect Your Brain Health, Do One Thing
Author Jane Brody advises people to protect their hearing
- Want to protect your cognitive powers? One way—and possibly the best—is to avoid prolonged loud noises that can weaken your hearing. So argues Jane Brody at the
New York Times
, saying she hopes to influence the 38 million Americans with untreated hearing loss, herself included. "According to...
Huey Lewis on
'I Was Suicidal'
Dec 9, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Huey Lewis on Hearing Loss: 'I Was Suicidal'
His band no longer performs but is coming out with a new album next year
- Huey Lewis and the News used to do an average of 75 shows per year, but Lewis can no longer perform after being diagnosed last year with Ménière’s disease, an inner-ear disorder that causes fluctuating hearing loss . "This [pointing to his ear] has ruined everything,"...
of His Hearing,
Apr 14, 2018 6:36 AM CDT
Huey Lewis Loses Most of His Hearing, Cancels Shows
Musician says he has Meniere's disease but hopes to improve
- Huey Lewis has had to cancel the rest of his tour dates in 2018 for one of the worst of reasons as a musician: He's nearly deaf. In a statement , the singer says he "lost most of my hearing" a few months ago before a show in Dallas,...
Musician's Landmark Win:
Orchestra Ruined My Hearing
Mar 29, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
Musician's Landmark Win: Orchestra Ruined My Hearing
Viola player sues Royal Opera House over too-loud rehearsal of Wagner
- A viola player in Britain has won an unusual legal case against the Royal Opera House seen as groundbreaking in the music industry. Chris Goldscheider says he got blasted so loudly by the brass section during a 2012 rehearsal that it permanently wrecked his hearing and ended his music career,...
I'm Still Here'
Jan 11, 2018 8:10 AM CST
Eric Clapton: 'It's Amazing I'm Still Here'
Rock legend says he'll keep playing gigs, despite hearing loss and hurting hands
- Eric Clapton says he'll keep doing live concerts this year, though he admits it's become increasingly challenging. One, because nerve damage has given him back trouble and made it hard for his hands to work their magic on his guitar strings, he told BBC Radio 2's Steve...
These Fish Are So Loud While
Getting It On It's Deafening
Dec 20, 2017 8:11 AM CST
These Fish Are So Loud While Getting It On It's Deafening
Racket of mating Gulf corvina is so loud it could damage hearing of dolphins, say researchers
- A type of Mexican fish heads every spring to the Gulf of California to spawn—and their "reproductive orgies," as the AFP puts it, are so loud they can damage hearing in other marine life. A pair of studies from the same researchers, one published in June in...
'Pink Noise' Could
Save Your Hearing
in Car Crash
Feb 11, 2017 7:53 PM CST
'Pink Noise' Could Save Your Hearing in Car Crash
Mercedes-Benz has been working on this tech for years
- A coming safety feature for cars aims to protect drivers and passengers in a novel way: to save their hearing in a crash. The idea is that when a smartcar senses an imminent collision, the sound system sends out a burst of "pink noise" inside the car. That causes...
Kids' Headphones Often Don't
Deliver Promised Protection
Dec 10, 2016 10:34 AM CST
Kids' Headphones Often Don't Deliver Promised Protection
Website finds trouble with half of 30 tested
- If you're on the hunt for children's headphones—so-called because they limit the volume of sound that they emit to protect children's ears—experts are issuing a stern warning: They're not necessarily safe, even if they purport to be. The Wirecutter , a product recommendations site, has...
Tulsa Cop Had Odd 'Distortion'
Before Shooting: Lawyer
Sep 30, 2016 9:43 AM CDT
Tulsa Cop Had Odd 'Distortion' Before Shooting: Lawyer
Attorney says Betty Shelby went temporarily deaf before shooting Terence Crutcher
- Betty Shelby's defense team tried (and failed) to get her a special early arraignment Thursday for the shooting death of unarmed black man Terence Crutcher , hoping to avoid the "utter chaos" of the media covering the high-profile case, the
reports. Now Shelby is set to head...
Weird Study Says
After a Concert
Jul 9, 2016 1:39 PM CDT
Weird Study Says You Shouldn't Drink Coffee After a Concert
It could slow your ears' healing: scientists
- Scientists who were apparently in desperate need of a research topic have a tip for concert-goers: Don't drink coffee for a while afterward. Based on their new study , it could hurt your hearing. How does one go about studying such a thing? Well, scientists at the McGill University Auditory...
Who Lost Their
Dec 21, 2015 3:33 AM CST
Firefighters Who Lost Their Hearing Sue Siren Maker
They say company didn't do enough to protect them
- Around 4,400 current and former firefighters nationwide are suing Federal Signal Corp., an Illinois-based company that makes sirens, claiming it didn't do enough to make them safer for those on firetrucks who have to listen to them nearly every day. They say the company could have designed them...
Tiny Spider in Her Ear
in case you missed it
Nov 8, 2014 5:02 PM CST
Singer Discovers Tiny Spider in Her Ear
Katie Melua had unwittingly hosted critter for a week
- Georgian-British singer Katie Melua went to the doctor complaining of a repetitive shuffling noise in her ear and worried there was something wrong with her hearing. Closer inspection revealed she'd been housing a tiny spider for a week—likely having come from a pair of earbuds she likes to...
'Sleep Machines' Can
Harm Babies' Hearing
Mar 3, 2014 2:24 PM CST
'Sleep Machines' Can Harm Babies' Hearing
Parents may not want to use them at top volume: researchers
- If you bought a "sleep machine" that makes soothing sounds in an effort to help your baby slumber, be careful: At top volume, such machines can actually hurt infants' hearing, researchers say. Sleep machines, which often emit nature sounds or white noise and sometimes come inside stuffed animals, are...
Pop a Viagra and ... Go Deaf?
May 19, 2011 8:11 AM CDT
Pop a Viagra and ... Go Deaf?
Studies suggest danger in anti-impotence medicines
- Could Viagra make you, ahem, hard of hearing? Researchers are uncovering evidence that it and other anti-impotence drugs may do just that. The FDA has been warning about possible hearing complications associated with anti-impotence medicine since 2007, but two new reports are raising concerns. UK researchers who surveyed drug watchdogs...
Dolphins Are Deaf
Nov 15, 2010 2:23 PM CST
Many Beached Dolphins Are Deaf
Hearing loss can cause dolphins to get lost, go hungry
- In an undersea world where hearing is as valuable—sometimes more valuable—than sight, being deaf can be a death sentence. New research finds that many dolphins stranded near shore have hearing loss, and researchers theorize that loss could explain why they're beached. Without the ability to hear, dolphins can't...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.