Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Democracy Is at Stake,
Biden Tells Nation
Nov 2, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Democracy Is at Stake, Biden Tells Nation
President denounces political violence, conspiracy theories, voter intimidation
- President Biden warned the nation Wednesday evening of threats facing American democracy, drawing a line from the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol and Republican efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, to the violent attack last week on Paul Pelosi, to the intimidation of midterm voters and...
Thousands Demand Return
to Rule of Law in Brazil
Aug 11, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Thousands Demand Return to Rule of Law in Brazil
Worried that Bolsonaro is following Trump's lead, masses support pro-democracy manifestos
- Thousands of Brazilians flocked to a law school Thursday in defense of the nation's democratic institutions, an event that echoed a gathering nearly 45 years ago when citizens joined together at the same site to denounce a brutal military dictatorship. In 1977, the masses poured into the University of...
for a Warning
Jul 31, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Sting Pauses Warsaw Concert for a Warning
Democracy is 'worth fighting for,' singer tells audience
- British musician Sting interrupted a concert in Warsaw on Saturday evening to warn his audience that democracy is under attack worldwide and to denounce the war in Ukraine as "an absurdity based upon a lie." He asked a popular Polish actor, Maciej Stuhr, to come onstage to translate...
Hong Kong Students Stealthily
Jun 3, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
Hong Kong Students Stealthily Commemorate Tiananmen
'Goddess of Democracy' statues pop up as police vow to stop annual vigil
- What's being described as a subtle "rebellion" has taken place at the Chinese University of Hong Kong ahead of the 33rd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre. For decades, Hong Kong had marked the anniversary of the June 4, 1989, pro-democracy protest in Beijing—where soldiers opened fire...
2 Possible POTUS Contenders
Team Up, With a Warning
Mar 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
2 Possible POTUS Contenders Team Up, With a Warning
Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney speak of need to protect democracy at private event in Virginia
- American democracy is rare, fragile, and in need of protection, Mitt Romney told Republican donors on Monday, amid fresh speculation of yet another presidential run . Five people who attended the private fundraiser for GOP Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming—herself a subject of similar speculation —organized by Republican bigwigs...
Obama: Nix the Filibuster,
Pass Voting Rights Legislation
Jan 13, 2022 7:26 AM CST
Obama: Nix the Filibuster, Pass Voting Rights Legislation
In first op-ed since leaving office, former president calls on Senate to 'do the right thing'
- President Biden recently called for altering Senate rules if necessary to remove the obstacle of the filibuster so that voting rights legislation can be passed. Now, a big voice is joining in that same chorus. In what
says is his first op-ed since leaving office in 2017, former...
Pope Warns of Threats From
Dec 4, 2021 1:40 PM CST
Pope Warns of Threats From Populism, Authoritarianism
In Greece, Francis defends democracy against 'easy answers'
- Pope Francis warned Saturday that the "easy answers" of populism and authoritarianism are threatening democracy in Europe and called for fresh dedication to promoting the common good. Arriving in Greece, the birthplace of democracy, Francis used a speech to Greek political and cultural leaders to warn Europe at large...
Now Include US
Nov 22, 2021 7:15 PM CST
'Backsliding Democracies' Now Include US
Group cites several factors, but the election fraud claim is the biggest
- The US has been experiencing a "visible deterioration" in its relationship with democracy since 2019, a think tank says. And the organization saw a "decline in the quality of freedom of association and assembly" during the protests after the killing of George Floyd last year. But "a...
America's Spy Chief Slammed
China. China Now Responds
Dec 4, 2020 7:30 AM CST
America's Spy Chief Slammed China. China Now Responds
John Ratcliffe's 'WSJ' op-ed was a 'hodgepodge of lies,' per China's foreign ministry rep
- In an "exceedingly rare" accusation on Thursday, the US director of national intelligence called China "the greatest threat to America today, and the greatest threat to democracy and freedom worldwide since World War II." China is now responding to John Ratcliffe's op-ed in the
Books Are Vanishing
in Hong Kong Libraries
Jul 5, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
Books Are Vanishing in Hong Kong Libraries
Authorities are 'one step away from ... actual book banning,' says activist Joshua Wong
- Now unavailable in Hong Kong libraries: books by leading democracy activists. At least nine titles by authors like Joshua Wong and Tanya Chan are disappearing from city libraries only days after China passed a severe national security law , the
South China Morning Post
reports. The agency in charge of Hong...
Is at Risk
Feb 6, 2020 1:06 PM CST
Yovanovitch: Our Democracy Is at Risk
Ousted ambassador urges Americans to 'stand up' amid 'turbulent times'
- Marie Yovanovitch feels freer to speak her mind now that she's retired from the foreign service after 33 years, and the former ambassador to Ukraine is doing just that in a
op-ed. Yovanovitch, ousted in what her colleagues testified was a "smear campaign" against her by...
Trump Signs a Bill
That Might Upset China
Nov 27, 2019 6:34 PM CST
Trump Signs a Bill That Might Upset China
The president supports pro-democracy activists
- President Trump on Wednesday signed two bills aimed at supporting human rights and pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong, the AP reports. Trump signed the bills, which were approved by near unanimous consent in the House and Senate, even as he expressed some concerns about complicating the effort to work out...
Hong Kong Election Has
Already Broken a Record
Nov 24, 2019 3:00 PM CST
Hong Kong Election Has Already Broken a Record
And pro-democracy candidates are surging
- Partial returns show that pro-democracy candidates won nearly half of the seats in Hong Kong's local elections as voters sent a clear signal of support for the anti-government protests that rocked the Chinese territory for more than five months, the AP reports. A record 71% of the city's...
Hong Kong Sentences
Protest Leaders to Prison
Apr 24, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
Hong Kong Sentences Protest Leaders to Prison
They say they haven't lost faith in movement
- A court in Hong Kong handed down prison sentences of up to 16 months Wednesday to eight leaders of massive 2014 pro-democracy protests after they were convicted earlier this month of public nuisance offenses. The sentences are seen as an effort by the government of the semi-autonomous Chinese territory to...
Your Time Is Now.
Dec 11, 2018 7:41 AM CST
Dear Senators: Your Time Is Now. Sincerely, Ex-Senators
'WaPo' op-ed penned by ex-senators reminds current ones to stand up for the nation
- An unusual byline in the op-ed section of the
is creating some buzz: "44 former US senators." Sharing the belief that "we are entering a dangerous period," the ex-legislators—a group of 32 Democrats, two independents, and 10 Republicans that includes the likes of...
Obama to Berlin Crowd: 'We
Can't Hide Behind a Wall'
May 25, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
Obama to Berlin Crowd: 'We Can't Hide Behind a Wall'
Former president appears with Merkel, speaks on democracy, global responsibility
- If anyone understands the concept of a wall, it's the people of Berlin. Which is why former President Obama's appearance there Thursday, with German Chancellor Angela Merkel at his side, had particular resonance. "We can't isolate ourselves" from conflict, poverty, and other problems throughout the world,...
Trump Under Fire
Oct 20, 2016 5:59 AM CDT
Trump Under Fire for 'Astonishing' Debate Remarks
He's being accused of 'insulting democracy'
- "Extraordinary," "breathtaking," and "stunning" are among the words being used to describe Donald Trump's biggest moment in Wednesday night's debate—and they're not being used to praise him. Trump, asked whether he would continue America's cherished tradition of peaceful transfers of...
Hong Kong Leader's Kid Brags About Diamonds
Oct 3, 2014 6:34 AM CDT
Hong Kong Leader's Kid Brags About Diamonds
22-year-old taunts taxpayers, says they're funding her beautiful wardrobe
- Hong Kong Chief Executive CY Leung, facing heavy criticism from pro-democracy protestors who are threatening to storm government buildings, now has another fire to put out. His 22-year-old daughter appears to have posted some incendiary comments on Facebook in which she taunts "all you HK taxpayers" for funding her...
China to Hong Kong:
No Open Elections
Sep 1, 2014 2:41 AM CDT
China to Hong Kong: No Open Elections
Protesters vow civil disobedience
- Pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong have vowed to make good on their threat of widespread civil disobedience after Beijing crushed hopes of an open election for the territory's chief executive in 2017. China's legislature ruled that candidates must be backed by a nominating committee, a move that means...
5 Arrested Over Macau Democracy Poll
Aug 25, 2014 1:10 AM CDT
5 Arrested Over Macau Democracy Poll
Activists say Beijing fears vote
- Police in the global gambling hub of Macau have arrested five people involved with an informal poll to measure support for direct elections of the Chinese-controlled city's leader. The five were arrested yesterday after activists kicked off the weeklong unofficial referendum inspired by a similar vote in June in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.