Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Support for Political Violence
in America Is Kind of Shocking
Oct 25, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Support for Political Violence in America Is Kind of Shocking
Poll finds 23% of Americans believe it could be necessary 'to save our country'
- Nearly one in four Americans support political violence in a new national survey that pollsters say is likely to indicate a "challenging election season." Some 75% of Americans surveyed by the Public Religion Research Institute and the Brookings Institution—including 84% of Democrats, 77% of Republicans, and 73%...
Libraries for 13 Presidents
Agree on Risk to Democracy
Sep 7, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Libraries for 13 Presidents Agree on Risk to Democracy
Joint plea stresses need for compassion and tolerance
- Concern for US democracy amid deep national polarization has prompted the entities supporting 13 presidential libraries dating back to Herbert Hoover to call for a recommitment to the country's bedrock principles, including the rule of law and respecting a diversity of beliefs. The statement released Thursday, the first time...
Walesa Joins Thousands
in Pro-Democracy March
Jun 4, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Walesa Joins Thousands in Pro-Democracy March
Crowds in Poland protest government's move toward autocracy
- Hundreds of thousands of people marched in an anti-government protest in Poland's capital on Sunday, with citizens traveling from across the country to voice their anger at officials who they say have eroded democratic norms and created fears that the nation is following Hungary and Turkey down the path...
Democracy Is at Stake,
Biden Tells Nation
Nov 2, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Democracy Is at Stake, Biden Tells Nation
President denounces political violence, conspiracy theories, voter intimidation
- President Biden warned the nation Wednesday evening of threats facing American democracy, drawing a line from the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol and Republican efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, to the violent attack last week on Paul Pelosi, to the intimidation of midterm voters and...
Thousands Demand Return
to Rule of Law in Brazil
Aug 11, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Thousands Demand Return to Rule of Law in Brazil
Worried that Bolsonaro is following Trump's lead, masses support pro-democracy manifestos
- Thousands of Brazilians flocked to a law school Thursday in defense of the nation's democratic institutions, an event that echoed a gathering nearly 45 years ago when citizens joined together at the same site to denounce a brutal military dictatorship. In 1977, the masses poured into the University of...
for a Warning
Jul 31, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Sting Pauses Warsaw Concert for a Warning
Democracy is 'worth fighting for,' singer tells audience
- British musician Sting interrupted a concert in Warsaw on Saturday evening to warn his audience that democracy is under attack worldwide and to denounce the war in Ukraine as "an absurdity based upon a lie." He asked a popular Polish actor, Maciej Stuhr, to come onstage to translate...
Hong Kong Students Stealthily
Jun 3, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
Hong Kong Students Stealthily Commemorate Tiananmen
'Goddess of Democracy' statues pop up as police vow to stop annual vigil
- What's being described as a subtle "rebellion" has taken place at the Chinese University of Hong Kong ahead of the 33rd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre. For decades, Hong Kong had marked the anniversary of the June 4, 1989, pro-democracy protest in Beijing—where soldiers opened fire...
2 Possible POTUS Contenders
Team Up, With a Warning
Mar 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
2 Possible POTUS Contenders Team Up, With a Warning
Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney speak of need to protect democracy at private event in Virginia
- American democracy is rare, fragile, and in need of protection, Mitt Romney told Republican donors on Monday, amid fresh speculation of yet another presidential run . Five people who attended the private fundraiser for GOP Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming—herself a subject of similar speculation —organized by Republican bigwigs...
Obama: Nix the Filibuster,
Pass Voting Rights Legislation
Jan 13, 2022 7:26 AM CST
Obama: Nix the Filibuster, Pass Voting Rights Legislation
In first op-ed since leaving office, former president calls on Senate to 'do the right thing'
- President Biden recently called for altering Senate rules if necessary to remove the obstacle of the filibuster so that voting rights legislation can be passed. Now, a big voice is joining in that same chorus. In what
says is his first op-ed since leaving office in 2017, former...
Pope Warns of Threats From
Dec 4, 2021 1:40 PM CST
Pope Warns of Threats From Populism, Authoritarianism
In Greece, Francis defends democracy against 'easy answers'
- Pope Francis warned Saturday that the "easy answers" of populism and authoritarianism are threatening democracy in Europe and called for fresh dedication to promoting the common good. Arriving in Greece, the birthplace of democracy, Francis used a speech to Greek political and cultural leaders to warn Europe at large...
Now Include US
Nov 22, 2021 7:15 PM CST
'Backsliding Democracies' Now Include US
Group cites several factors, but the election fraud claim is the biggest
- The US has been experiencing a "visible deterioration" in its relationship with democracy since 2019, a think tank says. And the organization saw a "decline in the quality of freedom of association and assembly" during the protests after the killing of George Floyd last year. But "a...
America's Spy Chief Slammed
China. China Now Responds
Dec 4, 2020 7:30 AM CST
America's Spy Chief Slammed China. China Now Responds
John Ratcliffe's 'WSJ' op-ed was a 'hodgepodge of lies,' per China's foreign ministry rep
- In an "exceedingly rare" accusation on Thursday, the US director of national intelligence called China "the greatest threat to America today, and the greatest threat to democracy and freedom worldwide since World War II." China is now responding to John Ratcliffe's op-ed in the
Books Are Vanishing
in Hong Kong Libraries
Jul 5, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
Books Are Vanishing in Hong Kong Libraries
Authorities are 'one step away from ... actual book banning,' says activist Joshua Wong
- Now unavailable in Hong Kong libraries: books by leading democracy activists. At least nine titles by authors like Joshua Wong and Tanya Chan are disappearing from city libraries only days after China passed a severe national security law , the
South China Morning Post
reports. The agency in charge of Hong...
Is at Risk
Feb 6, 2020 1:06 PM CST
Yovanovitch: Our Democracy Is at Risk
Ousted ambassador urges Americans to 'stand up' amid 'turbulent times'
- Marie Yovanovitch feels freer to speak her mind now that she's retired from the foreign service after 33 years, and the former ambassador to Ukraine is doing just that in a
op-ed. Yovanovitch, ousted in what her colleagues testified was a "smear campaign" against her by...
Trump Signs a Bill
That Might Upset China
Nov 27, 2019 6:34 PM CST
Trump Signs a Bill That Might Upset China
The president supports pro-democracy activists
- President Trump on Wednesday signed two bills aimed at supporting human rights and pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong, the AP reports. Trump signed the bills, which were approved by near unanimous consent in the House and Senate, even as he expressed some concerns about complicating the effort to work out...
Hong Kong Election Has
Already Broken a Record
Nov 24, 2019 3:00 PM CST
Hong Kong Election Has Already Broken a Record
And pro-democracy candidates are surging
- Partial returns show that pro-democracy candidates won nearly half of the seats in Hong Kong's local elections as voters sent a clear signal of support for the anti-government protests that rocked the Chinese territory for more than five months, the AP reports. A record 71% of the city's...
Hong Kong Sentences
Protest Leaders to Prison
Apr 24, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
Hong Kong Sentences Protest Leaders to Prison
They say they haven't lost faith in movement
- A court in Hong Kong handed down prison sentences of up to 16 months Wednesday to eight leaders of massive 2014 pro-democracy protests after they were convicted earlier this month of public nuisance offenses. The sentences are seen as an effort by the government of the semi-autonomous Chinese territory to...
Your Time Is Now.
Dec 11, 2018 7:41 AM CST
Dear Senators: Your Time Is Now. Sincerely, Ex-Senators
'WaPo' op-ed penned by ex-senators reminds current ones to stand up for the nation
- An unusual byline in the op-ed section of the
is creating some buzz: "44 former US senators." Sharing the belief that "we are entering a dangerous period," the ex-legislators—a group of 32 Democrats, two independents, and 10 Republicans that includes the likes of...
Obama to Berlin Crowd: 'We
Can't Hide Behind a Wall'
May 25, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
Obama to Berlin Crowd: 'We Can't Hide Behind a Wall'
Former president appears with Merkel, speaks on democracy, global responsibility
- If anyone understands the concept of a wall, it's the people of Berlin. Which is why former President Obama's appearance there Thursday, with German Chancellor Angela Merkel at his side, had particular resonance. "We can't isolate ourselves" from conflict, poverty, and other problems throughout the world,...
Trump Under Fire
Oct 20, 2016 5:59 AM CDT
Trump Under Fire for 'Astonishing' Debate Remarks
He's being accused of 'insulting democracy'
- "Extraordinary," "breathtaking," and "stunning" are among the words being used to describe Donald Trump's biggest moment in Wednesday night's debate—and they're not being used to praise him. Trump, asked whether he would continue America's cherished tradition of peaceful transfers of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.