Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Erdogan Defiant After Biden's
Statement on Genocide
Apr 26, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Erdogan Defiant After Biden's Statement on Genocide
'If you call it genocide, go ahead and look in the mirror'
- Turkey’s president said Monday he was "highly saddened" by President Biden’s decision to mark as genocide the mass deportations and massacres of Armenians in the early 20th century, calling it baseless and unjust. Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Biden’s decision undermined Turkish-American relations but also expressed hope...
Worked for This for Decades
Apr 24, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Armenian Americans Worked for This for Decades
The genocide 'is my family's story,' one woman says
- Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day was different this year, after President Biden recognized the killings carried out by Ottoman Empire forces in the early 20th century constituted genocide—ending decades of disappointment and broken promises for Armenian Americans. Hundreds of people dressed in black visited a hilltop monument in Montebello, east...
Biden Formally Recognizes
Apr 24, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Biden Formally Recognizes Armenian Genocide
No previous president has used the term for mass killings under Ottoman Empire
- President Joe Biden has formally recognized that the systematic killings and deportations of hundreds of thousands of Armenians by Ottoman Empire forces in the early 20th century were "genocide"—using a term for the atrocities that his White House predecessors have avoided for decades over concerns of alienating...
Report: Biden Plans to Keep
Promise on Armenian Genocide
Apr 22, 2021 7:04 AM CDT
Report: Biden Plans to Keep Promise on Armenian Genocide
Move is expected to infuriate Turkey
- As a candidate, Barack Obama promised to declare the slaughter of more than a million Armenians in the final years of the Ottoman Empire a genocide but failed to do so as president . President Biden made the same promise on the campaign trail, and sources tell the
New York Times
Scuffles Break Out
at Heated Town Hall
Dec 15, 2019 5:20 PM CST
Scuffles Break Out at Heated Town Hall
Trump supporters heckle Rep. Adam Schiff in Glendale, Calif.
- An event honoring recognition of the Armenian Genocide got ugly Saturday when pro-Trump protesters clashed with Armenian Americans, the
reports. Things turned when Rep. Adam Schiff—a key player in House Democrats' attempt to impeach President Trump—began speaking at the Glendale, Calif., town hall about the long...
House Takes Off
Oct 30, 2019 7:31 AM CDT
House Takes Off Kid Gloves, Votes on 1915 Slaughter
Passes resolution recognizing Armenian genocide 405-11
- House lawmakers on Tuesday removed the kid gloves and voted to formally recognize the Armenian genocide. It's the first time a chamber of Congress has branded the 1915 slaughter of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks as such. Lawmakers had been loath to do so because...
Trolls Take Aim at
Christian Bale Flick
Apr 19, 2017 1:44 PM CDT
Trolls Take Aim at Christian Bale Flick
It's set amid the Armenian genocide, which some label a 'lie'
- Amy Schumer isn't the only star doing battle with trolls lately. About 51% of 120,000 reviews on IMDb for Christian Bale's new movie
, set amid the Armenian genocide, give the movie a one-star rating out of 10—and it's likely not because of his...
Germany Genocide Vote
Jun 3, 2016 1:44 AM CDT
Germany Genocide Vote Infuriates Turkey
Yanking ambassador is just the first step, Erdogan says
- The German Parliament overwhelmingly voted Thursday to label the killings of an estimated 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks a century ago as genocide, prompting Turkey to recall its ambassador to Germany. The motion passed with support from all the parties in Parliament, with one abstention and one vote...
Use the G-Word
Apr 22, 2015 10:54 AM CDT
Unlike Pope, Obama Won't Use the G-Word
Calling Armenian genocide a genocide isn't 'in the interest of all parties'
- President Obama vowed to refer to the massacre of 1.5 million Armenians during the collapse of the Ottoman Empire as a genocide while campaigning in 2008. Since then, he hasn't done so once and won't break from tradition on Friday with a statement marking the 100th anniversary...
Apr 12, 2015 11:38 AM CDT
Furious With Francis, Turkey Yanks Ambassador
After pope labeled Armenian genocide a genocide
- Pope Francis today lamented the deaths a century ago of some 1.5 million Armenians as one of "three massive and unprecedented tragedies" that struck the last century, reports the BBC , and the AP adds that Turkey wasted little time in yanking its ambassador to the Vatican after the...
France Making It a Crime
to Deny Armenian Genocide
Jan 24, 2012 1:30 PM CST
France Making It a Crime to Deny Armenian Genocide
Turkey expected to withdraw ambassador
- If you are in France and deny that Turkey committed "genocide" against 1.5 million Armenians in 1915-1916, be prepared to be fined $57,000 and spend a year in jail. Actually, the new legislation applies to genocide denial in general, but it is the law's application to...
Sue Turkey Over
Jul 30, 2010 11:12 AM CDT
Armenian-Americans Sue Turkey Over Century-Old Slaughter
Class action suit seeks billions in compensation
- The Turkish government and two big Turkish banks are being sued by the American descendants of Armenians who were killed or forced out of Turkey between 1915 and 1919. The class action lawsuit filed in federal court in California charges that Turkish officials are responsible for the deaths of more...
Turkey Recalls Ambassador
Mar 4, 2010 5:27 PM CST
Turkey Recalls Ambassador to US
Move follows House panel's declaration of genocide in Armenia
- Turkey is recalling its ambassador to the US following a resolution declaring the killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks around the time of World War I to be genocide. The move came minutes after the House Foreign Affairs Committee endorsed the nonbinding resolution with a 23-22 vote, even though the...
Apr 6, 2009 7:35 PM CDT
US Armenians Slam Obama Over Genocide
- US Armenians criticized President Obama today for refusing to acknowledge the Armenian genocide while visiting Turkey, Politico reports. Obama “missed a valuable opportunity to honor" a campaign pledge, said one advocate, after Obama mentioned “the terrible events of 1915” but avoided saying whether he had pressed Turkey's president...
Obama in Turkey: US
Not at War With Islam
Apr 6, 2009 9:56 AM CDT
Obama in Turkey: US Not at War With Islam
- President Obama addressed the Turkish parliament today, and used the opportunity to extend an olive branch to the Muslim world, the
New York Times
reports. “The United States is not, and will never be, at war with Islam,” said Obama. “America’s relationship with the Muslim world...
Obama Touts Turkey Ties,
Parries Genocide Issue
Apr 6, 2009 8:00 AM CDT
Obama Touts Turkey Ties, Parries Genocide Issue
- Barack Obama reaffirmed the strength of US-Turkish ties at a press conference in Ankara this morning, touting Turkey as a nation with “similar principles” to the US, and asking for its help in ending the Iraq war. But things got awkward when talk turned to Armenian genocide, which Obama...
Sorry for Armenian
Dec 15, 2008 5:47 PM CST
Turkish Thinkers Sorry for Armenian 'Catastrophe'
- A group of about 200 Turkish intellectuals today issued an apology on the Internet for the World War I-era massacres of Armenians in Turkey, the AP reports. The group of prominent academics, journalists, writers and artists avoided using the contentious term "genocide" in the apology, using the less explosive...
in Plot to Kill Turkish Laureate
Mar 21, 2008 10:47 AM CDT
16 Arrested in Plot to Kill Turkish Laureate
Journalist, party leader involved in plan to murder writer Pamuk
- A nationalist party leader, a veteran journalist, and a top academic have been arrested over a plan to kill dissident Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk. The leader of the Workers’ Party and former rector of Istanbul University, along with a general, and retired colonel, are among 16 who were detained over...
Backers Delay Genocide Vote
Oct 26, 2007 3:46 AM CDT
Backers Delay Genocide Vote
Turkish tensions scares off support
- The four primary sponsors of the House resolution to label the 1915 killings of Armenians in Turkey as genocide have withdrawn support, formally asking Speaker Nancy Pelosi to delay voting on the measure, the AP reports. Enthusiasm for the resolution withered after Turkey withdrew its US ambassador and threatened to...
Armenian Genocide Vote
Withering in Turkish Heat
Oct 17, 2007 6:54 AM CDT
Armenian Genocide Vote Withering in Turkish Heat
Pols backing off to avoid angering key ally
- Members of Congress are backing off a resolution that would classify Turkish purges of Armenians as genocide. The bill's approval by a committee last week infuriated the Turks, who called home their ambassador and have threatened to forbid US military use of Turkish airspace and bases to support Iraqi operations...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Raphael Warnock Wins Georgia Runoff Election
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.