Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
A Huge BP Find:
1B Barrels of Crude
Jan 9, 2019 12:40 PM CST
A Huge BP Find: 1B Barrels of Crude
Besides the oil find, company is also investing $1.3B in a new expansion process
- BP is investing a lot more money into the Gulf of Mexico, and into cutting-edge technology overall—and it looks like that investment is already paying off. CNBC and Reuters report the company just discovered two new oil fields, plus 1 billion barrels of crude oil at its existing Thunder...
A Big First for OPEC as
One Nation Pulls Out
Dec 3, 2018 6:51 AM CST
A Big First for OPEC as One Nation Pulls Out
Qatar will be leaving the oil cartel in January, the first time a Mideast nation has done so
- The tiny Arab nation of Qatar announced Monday it will withdraw from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, in January, mixing its aspirations to increase production outside of the cartel's constraints with the politics of slighting the Saudi-dominated group amid the kingdom's boycott of Doha....
Coast Guard Says No More to
14-Year-Old Oil Leak in Gulf
in case you missed it
Nov 25, 2018 11:40 AM CST
Coast Guard Says No More to 14-Year-Old Oil Leak in Gulf
Taylor Energy has to start cleaning up mess that started in 2004 or risk fine of up to $40K per day
- A massive cleanup effort has been ordered on a quietly devastating oil spill that's been contaminating the Gulf of Mexico for 14 years. The
reports the US Coast Guard has mandated Taylor Energy "institute a … system to capture, contain, or remove oil" from the affected...
Trump Stands by Saudis,
Then He Thanks Them
Nov 21, 2018 9:44 AM CST
Trump Stands by Saudis, Then He Thanks Them
For our low oil prices
- President Trump on Tuesday expressed that, despite Jamal Khashoggi's murder, the US stands by Saudi Arabia. It's a sentiment that's not going over entirely well, both within his own party and without. And it's one that got amplified Wednesday, by way of a tweet in which...
Oil Prices Are Rising. Trump
Claims He Made a Saudi Deal
Jun 30, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Oil Prices Are Rising. Trump Claims He Made a Saudi Deal
In Saturday tweet, president says King Salman has vowed to boost oil production
- After a couple of early morning tweets that defended ICE, President Trump followed that up Saturday with an unrelated announcement: that he'd received assurances from Saudi Arabia's King Salman that the kingdom will increase oil production, "maybe up to 2,000,000 barrels," in response to...
Alaskans Get a Yearly Check,
Are Irked That It's Shrinking
Mar 26, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Alaskans Get a Yearly Check, Are Irked That It's Shrinking
State may have to dip into Alaska Permanent Fund's earnings
- The joke has always been that Alaska is so wealthy it pays its residents to live there. But those yearly checks have gotten smaller and could undergo a massive change as Alaska struggles to pay state troopers and fix roads amid years of low oil prices. After oil started flowing...
Ship Seized, Accused of
Transferring Oil To North Korea
Dec 29, 2017 4:00 PM CST
Ship Seized, Accused of Transferring Oil To North Korea
South Korea says it seized the Lighthouse Winmore in November
- On the heels of reports Chinese ships were transferring oil to North Korean vessels in violation of UN sanctions, South Korea has announced it seized a ship suspected of doing just that last month, the BBC reports. South Korean officials say the Lighthouse Winmore picked up oil supposedly bound for...
Report: Harvey Caused 145K
Gallons of Fuel to Spill
Sep 9, 2017 1:34 PM CDT
Report: Harvey Caused 145K Gallons of Fuel to Spill
Now all eyes are on Florida's petroleum storage facilities as Irma bears down
- More than two dozen storage tanks holding crude oil, gasoline, and other contaminants ruptured or otherwise failed when Harvey slammed into the Texas coast, spilling at least 145,000 gallons of fuel and spewing toxic pollutants into the air, per an AP analysis of pollution reports submitted to state and...
US Hits North Korea
on Coal, Oil, and ... Statues
Aug 22, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
US Hits North Korea on Coal, Oil, and ... Statues
New sanctions penalize Chinese and Russian firms for dealing with Pyongyang
- The Treasury Department applied new sanctions Tuesday intended to squeeze North Korea even tighter. The sanctions were mostly against Chinese and Russian companies and individuals that the US accuses of conducting illegal business with Pyongyang and thus helping its nuclear weapons program, reports the
. The big hits were...
Want to Live Longer?
Put the Fries Down
Jun 12, 2017 11:20 AM CDT
Want to Live Longer? Put the Fries Down
It's the frying and the salt that's the problem
- Potatoes are a relatively healthy vegetable, packed with enough fiber, vitamins, and micronutrients to "counterbalance the detrimental effects of their high glycemic index," researchers note in the
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
. Unfortunately, it is what we do to them before we eat them that drains all the...
as Gas Shortage
Hits N. Korea
Apr 27, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Rumors Swirl as Gas Shortage Hits N. Korea
Beijing may have tightened supply
- An acute shortage of gasoline in the North Korean capital of Pyongyang that has sparked price hikes and hoarding is raising fears of potentially crippling pain at the pumps if things don't get better soon—and driving rumors that China is to blame. The shortage, which is extremely unusual...
Dakota Pipeline Oil Almost
Ready to Start Flowing
Feb 24, 2017 11:10 AM CST
Dakota Pipeline Oil Almost Ready to Start Flowing
Local tribes are still challenging project in court
- Oil could be flowing through the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline in less than two weeks, according to court documents filed by the developer just before police and soldiers started clearing a protest camp in North Dakota. Energy Transfer Partners has finished drilling under Lake Oahe and will soon...
GOP Control Brings the
Return of 'Drill, Baby, Drill'
Feb 23, 2017 8:26 PM CST
GOP Control Brings the Return of 'Drill, Baby, Drill'
Lawmakers renew push for oil drilling in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Following in her father's footsteps, US Sen. Lisa Murkowski is sponsoring legislation to open Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling, the AP reports. With a Republican Congress and president, she's hopeful that the timing is right. The coastal plain is a nursery for polar bears,...
on Key Iraq
Feb 20, 2017 8:06 AM CST
Mattis Breaks From Trump on Key Iraq Issue
Defense secretary assures Iraq we want to help beat ISIS, not take its oil
- President Trump has noted more than once he thinks we should've taken Iraq's oil when we had the chance (and suggests that option may still be on the table), but his secretary of defense is pushing a different message—what the
New York Times
characterizes as comments that...
Homeless Florida Man
Is Wealthy Oil Heir
in case you missed it
Dec 24, 2016 4:18 PM CST
Homeless Florida Man Is Wealthy Oil Heir
William Tavoulareas arrested for stealing parking device
- William Tavoulareas is a multimillionaire oil heir—but he's homeless and, to the chagrin of his relatives, apparently wants to stay that way. The 56-year-old Palm Beach man's story captured attention after he was arrested for allegedly stealing a parking boot last week. The
Palm Beach Daily News
Leak Reveals Another
Dec 19, 2016 1:42 AM CST
Leak Reveals Another Tillerson-Russia Tie
He headed Exxon's Russian subsidiary
- Documents leaked to a German newspaper have revealed that Rex Tillerson has even stronger ties to Russia than first thought, the
reports. The ExxonMobil CEO spent years as a director of Exxon Neftegas, Exxon's Russian subsidiary based in the Bahamas for tax purposes, according to corporate documents leaked...
Biggest-Ever US Oil Find Made
Nov 17, 2016 6:01 AM CST
Biggest-Ever US Oil Find Made
USGS says Texas formation could hold 20B barrels
- Things are bigger in Texas, especially oil deposits: The United States Geological Survey announced this week that its assessment of the Wolfcamp formation in West Texas has identified the largest continuous oil and gas deposit ever found in the US, Bloomberg reports. The USGS says the formation holds 20 billion...
of the World'
Nov 7, 2016 3:44 AM CST
Strong Quake Rattles 'Pipeline Crossroads of the World'
Parts of Oklahoma city cordoned off
- A 5.0 magnitude earthquake centered near one of the world's key oil hubs brought down building facades and shattered windows, triggering fears the temblor may have damaged key infrastructure and rendered century-old buildings unsafe in Cushing, the latest Oklahoma town rattled by increasingly strong quakes . Cushing Assistant City...
What the 7 Fastest-Shrinking
US Companies Have in Common
Oct 6, 2016 12:10 PM CDT
What the 7 Fastest-Shrinking US Companies Have in Common
In a word: oil
- It's not terribly common for companies to see revenue drop by double-digit percentages, but in coming up with entries for its list of America's fastest-shrinking companies, 24/7 Wall St. found that sometimes the plunges came fast and furious, with revenue for a few companies falling more than one-third...
Government Sides With Tribe,
Halts Pipeline Construction
Sep 10, 2016 9:53 AM CDT
Government Sides With Tribe, Halts Pipeline Construction
The Standing Rock Sioux tribe says it's a 'game changer'
- On the heels of major defeat comes surprising victory: Shortly after a federal judge denied a request from the Standing Rock Sioux to halt construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline, the federal government stepped in and did exactly that. ABC News reports the Department of Justice, Department of the Interior,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Report Details Abuse Coverup by Southern Baptist Leaders
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.