Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
by the US for
the First Time
Jan 13, 2021 1:39 AM CST
Woman Executed by the US for the First Time Since 1953
After much legal back-and-forth, Supreme Court clears way for Lisa Montgomery's execution
- After hours of legal back-and-forth, Lisa Montgomery was executed early Wednesday at a federal prison complex in Indiana. The Kansas 52-year-old is the first female put to death in the US since 1953, the AP reports. An appeals court had granted a stay of execution for Montgomery on Tuesday, but...
First Execution of
a US Woman in
67 Years Halted
Jan 12, 2021 6:55 AM CST
First Execution of a US Woman in 67 Years Halted
Judge grants stay of execution for Lisa Montgomery
- A judge has granted a stay in what was slated to be the US government's first execution of a female inmate in nearly seven decades—a Kansas woman who killed an expectant mother in Missouri, cut the baby from her womb, and passed off the newborn as her own,...
Attorneys for Woman
Set to Be Executed
Ask Trump to
Jan 6, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Attorneys for Woman Set to Be Executed Ask Trump to Intervene
Commute Lisa Montgomery's sentence, her lawyers ask POTUS
- The only woman on federal death row is set to be executed Tuesday—but her lawyers are hoping the president will intervene. Lisa Montgomery's defense team filed a petition for clemency Tuesday,
reports. "We're asking now that President Trump to please hear our plea,"...
Bad News for
Jan 2, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Bad News for Only Woman on Federal Death Row
Lisa Montgomery could now be executed before Joe Biden takes office
- A federal appeals court has cleared the way for the only woman on federal death row to be executed before President-elect Joe Biden takes office, the AP reports. The ruling, handed down Friday by a three-judge panel on the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, concluded...
Good News for
on Death Row
Dec 25, 2020 8:37 AM CST
Good News for Only Woman on Death Row
Judge rules Lisa Montgomery's execution was set illegally, might get pushed to Biden administration
- A federal judge said the Justice Department unlawfully rescheduled the execution of the only woman on federal death row, potentially setting up the Trump administration to schedule the execution after president-elect Joe Biden takes office. US District Court Judge Randolph Moss also vacated an order from the director of the...
Her Lawyers Got
COVID. Now an
Nov 20, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Her Lawyers Got COVID. Now an Execution Reprieve
Federal judge orders Lisa Montgomery not be put to death before 2021
- Lisa Montgomery is getting a bit of a break. Montgomery was set to be executed on Dec. 8 in Terre Haute, Ind., which would make her the first woman put to death by the federal government in nearly seven decades. But two of her attorneys last week requested a delay...
Lawyers for Death
We Got COVID
Due to Bill Barr
Nov 16, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Lawyers for Death Row Inmate: We Got COVID Due to Bill Barr
Lisa Montgomery's attorneys: Surprise execution date set during pandemic forced us to travel
- Two attorneys for a female death-row inmate are blasting Attorney General Bill Barr, saying they contracted COVID-19 because he "recklessly" put their client's execution on the calendar for next month, all while the pandemic is still raging. In a lawsuit filed on behalf of Lisa Montgomery against the...
Woman Who Stole Unborn Child Sentenced To Death
Oct 26, 2007 3:33 PM CDT
Woman Who Stole Unborn Child Sentenced To Death
Defense unsuccessful in proving insanity
- A jury today ordered Lisa Montgomery executed for killing a woman and stealing the unborn daughter from her womb. The jury had convicted Montgomery this week of kidnapping resulting in the death of Bobbie Jo Stinnett. Montgomery would have faced life imprisonment if the jury hadn't voted for the death...
Popular on Newser
Climber Found Box of Gems on Mont Blanc in 2013. Now, a Windfall
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom Call: 'I Come to You With Not Great News'
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
Restaurant Apologizes for Asking Cops to Leave
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.