Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Boy Scouts Reach
in Bankruptcy Case
Jul 2, 2021 12:06 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Reach Pivotal Agreement in Bankruptcy Case
It would be one of the largest sums in US history involving sexual abuse cases
- The Boy Scouts of America have reached an $850 million agreement with attorneys representing some 60,000 victims of child sex abuse in what could prove to be a pivotal moment in the organization’s bankruptcy case, the AP reports. The settlement would mark one of the largest sums in...
Judge Shoots Down
May 11, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
Judge Shoots Down NRA Bankruptcy
He accuses 'solvent' group of trying to use filing to dodge New York lawsuit
- The National Rifle Association's attempt to use bankruptcy to leave New York and reorganize in Texas was shot down by a federal judge in Dallas Tuesday. US Bankruptcy Judge Harlin Hale, ruling after a 12-day trial that concluded May 3, said the gun rights group's bankruptcy wasn't...
Many Have Lukewarm Reaction
to OxyContin Maker's Offer
Mar 17, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Many Have Lukewarm Reaction to OxyContin Maker's Offer
$10B plan calls for turning the pharmaceutical giant into a new company
- Some state attorneys general and opioid addiction activists pushed back Tuesday against a settlement offer from OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma, saying it didn't include enough money and goes too far in protecting the company and family members who own it from future liability. A group of nearly half the...
It's Bankruptcy Time
Nov 22, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Guitar Center: It's Bankruptcy Time
The nation's biggest musical instrument retailer files for Chapter 11
- The Guitar Center filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Saturday as yet another US retailer revealed its pandemic financial woes, Reuters reports. In a bankruptcy filing , the 61-year-old company said it plans to stay afloat with up to $165 million in fresh equity investments and a debt reduction of nearly $800...
Casualty of COVID
Nov 2, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Another Corporate Casualty of COVID
Friendly's restaurant chain, known for its ice cream sundaes, has filed for Chapter 11
- Friendly's Restaurants, an East Coast dining chain known for its sundaes, is filing for bankruptcy protection. The company, which runs its restaurants under the parent company FIC Restaurants Inc., will sell substantially all of its assets to the restaurant company Amici Partners Group, per the AP . All 130 of...
COVID's 'Unprecedented Impact'
Drives Another Big Bankruptcy
Oct 7, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
COVID's 'Unprecedented Impact' Drives Another Big Bankruptcy
Ruby Tuesday reduced to 236 restaurants
- Ruby Tuesday has filed for bankruptcy, partly blaming the "unprecedented impact" of the coronavirus pandemic, though it was struggling well before March. The classic American dining chain will permanently shutter 185 restaurants across the US, according to a Wednesday release. Another 236 restaurants will continue operating. "This announcement...
JCPenney Nearly Sold
After 'Screaming Matches'
Sep 9, 2020 4:48 PM CDT
JCPenney Nearly Sold After 'Screaming Matches'
The department store chain negotiates a $1.75B deal
- Looks like JCPenney has found itself a buyer. The dying department store chain—which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection back in May—has struck a tentative deal with a group of lenders and mall owners,
reports. Brookfield Property Partners, Simon Property Group, and bankruptcy lenders are expected...
Aug 3, 2020 12:45 AM CDT
'Nation's First Department Store' Files for Bankruptcy
Lord & Taylor files for Chapter 11
- Another big retail name is going under amid the coronavirus pandemic: Lord & Taylor filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sunday. However, as the
New York Times
reports, the department store chain had been struggling even before COVID-19. Clothing rental start-up Le Tote bought Lord & Taylor last year, and...
COVID Brings Another
Retailer to Chapter 11
Jul 23, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
COVID Brings Another Retailer to Chapter 11
Parent company of Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant seeks bankruptcy protection
- The pandemic has pushed another big-name retailer into bankruptcy. The parent company of Ann Taylor and Lane Bryant filed for Chapter 11 protection on Thursday. The Ascena Retail Group plans to close about 1,100 stories across the country, including all of its Catherines stores and many of its Justice...
200-Year-Old Firm Becomes
Latest Pandemic Victim
Jul 8, 2020 2:44 PM CDT
200-Year-Old Firm Becomes Latest Pandemic Victim
Brooks Brothers has filed for bankruptcy
- Brooks Brothers, the 200-year-old company that dressed nearly every US president, filed for bankruptcy protection Wednesday, the latest major clothing seller to be toppled by the coronavirus pandemic. Founded in New York in 1818, Brooks Brothers survived two world wars and the Great Depression and even managed to stay afloat...
Files for Bankruptcy
Jun 28, 2020 4:10 PM CDT
Fracking Pioneer Files for Bankruptcy
Chesapeake Energy says it has nearly $9B in debt
- Chesapeake Energy, a shale drilling pioneer that helped to turn the US into a global energy powerhouse, has filed for bankruptcy protection. The Oklahoma City-based company said Sunday that it was a necessary decision given its debt, the AP reports. Its debt load is currently nearing $9 billion. It has...
America Is Hit With
Another Big Bankruptcy
Jun 24, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
America Is Hit With Another Big Bankruptcy
GNC files for Chapter 11
- Like your vitamins and whey proteins? Better buy them now, because GNC has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The health and wellness company says it will shutter 800 to 1,200 stores and either reorganize or sell itself outright,
reports. "The COVID-19 pandemic created a situation where...
SEC Puts Damper
on Hertz Plan to
Jun 18, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
SEC Puts Damper on Hertz Plan to Sell Possibly 'Worthless' Stock
Car rental company wanted to dump $500M in common stock during bankruptcy proceedings
- After a tumultuous few months, Hertz now has another wrench thrown into its works. Unable to endure the coronavirus pandemic, the car rental company filed for bankruptcy protection last month, then noted Monday in a government filing that it planned to sell $500 million in common stock—all while warning...
Bankruptcy for Hertz:
'No Business Is Built
for Zero Revenue'
May 23, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Bankruptcy for Hertz: 'No Business Is Built for Zero Revenue'
But Hertz and subsidiaries will continue to operate after being slammed in pandemic
- Hertz filed for bankruptcy protection Friday, unable to withstand the coronavirus pandemic that has crippled global travel and with it, the heavily indebted 102-year-old car rental company's business. The company's lenders were unwilling to grant it another extension on its auto lease debt payments past a Friday deadline,...
Walmart Stats Present
a Snapshot of Pandemic
May 19, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Walmart Stats Present a Snapshot of Pandemic
Sales surged, especially online, as Americans stocked up
- The pandemic has brought financial ruin to some retailers . Not so with Walmart, whose sales boomed in the quarter that ended May 1, reports CNBC . Overall, same-store sales were up 10%, but the details show how the coronavirus radically altered shopping patterns. For one thing, online sales rose a staggering...
Another Retailer Topples
in Pandemic: JCPenney
May 15, 2020 6:10 PM CDT
Another Retailer Topples in Pandemic: JCPenney
Chain files for bankruptcy protection
- The coronavirus pandemic has pushed troubled department store chain JCPenney into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, per the AP . It's the fourth major retailer to meet that fate. As part of its reorganization, the 118-year-old company said late Friday it will be closing some of its stores and will disclose details...
First Department Store Chain
Falls to Coronavirus
May 7, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
First Department Store Chain Falls to Coronavirus
Luxury giant Neiman Marcus files for Chapter 11
- Neiman Marcus, the 112-year-old storied luxury department store chain, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, the first department store chain to be toppled by the coronavirus pandemic, per the AP . The move follows the bankruptcy filing by J. Crew , which became the first major retailer to reorganize during the...
First Big Retailer to Fail
From Virus Files for Bankruptcy
May 4, 2020 6:03 AM CDT
First Big Retailer to Fail From Virus Files for Bankruptcy
J. Crew was already struggling even before the pandemic
- J. Crew was having a tough time even before the pandemic arrived. Now, the
New York Times
says it's the "first major retailer to fall" from the virus, seeking bankruptcy protection to try to stay alive. On Monday, the clothing retailer's parent company, Chinos Holdings, filed to...
This Might Be First Major
Department Store Casualty
Apr 19, 2020 9:29 AM CDT
This Might Be First Major Department Store Casualty
Neiman Marcus to file for bankruptcy amid pandemic, says Reuters
- With all of its stores closed, burdened by $4.8 billion in loans, Neiman Marcus is moving toward seeking bankruptcy protection. The filing could come this week, Reuters reports. It would be the first major department store company to reach that point since the pandemic hit the US, and Neiman...
Boy Scouts of America
Files for Bankruptcy
Feb 18, 2020 6:55 AM CST
Boy Scouts of America Files for Bankruptcy
Organization faced flood of sexual abuse lawsuits
- The Boy Scouts of America, fighting for survival amid a flood of sexual abuse lawsuits, has filed for bankruptcy protection. The Chapter 11 filing early Tuesday marks the start of what is expected to be one of the most complex bankruptcies in US history, lawyers tell NBC . Changes in statute-of-limitation...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.