Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Lady of the Dunes'
Now Has a Name
Nov 1, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
'Lady of the Dunes' Now Has a Name
Woman brutally murdered on Cape Cod in 1974 identified as Ruth Marie Terry
- Massachusetts' oldest unknown murder victim is unknown no longer. The "Lady of the Dunes," found brutally murdered in Provincetown, Cape Cod, on July 26, 1974, has been identified as Ruth Marie Terry , a 37-year-old mother and sister from Tennessee, authorities announced Monday. They said it was the biggest...
Child's Evening Frolic
on Cape Cod Beach
Ends With Coyote Bite
Aug 14, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Child's Evening Frolic on Cape Cod Beach Ends With Coyote Bite
Luckily, animal didn't have rabies; child said to be recovering from non-life-threatening injuries
- A child's visit to a Provincetown beach turned ugly on Wednesday evening. A coyote bit the unidentified youngster at North Herring Cove Beach, part of the Cape Cod National Seashore, around 8:30pm, sending the child to Cape Cod Hospital with what the National Park Service says were non-life-threatening...
Restaurant Takes Day Off After
Customers Make Staff Cry
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Restaurant Takes Day Off After Customers Make Staff Cry
One patron told a server, 'I hope you get hit by a car'
- It’s not news that people sometimes aren’t at their best at a restaurant. But telling a server you hope they get hit by a car is a special level of unkind. That sort of behavior—things that made the staff cry—is why a Massachusetts restaurant shut down...
Whole by Whale
Is Doing Much
Jun 12, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Man Swallowed Whole by Whale Is Doing Much Better Now
Michael Packard was diving for lobsters when he got gulped down off of Provincetown, Mass.
Cape Cod Times
calls Michael Packard's tale a "truly biblical" story, but for the 56-year-old Massachusetts man, he just considers it an incredibly lucky one. Packard, a lobster diver who's been working out of Provinceton for four decades, tells CBS Boston he was about 45 feet...
They Thought NWS Station Had
10 More Years. Now, Just Days
Apr 14, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
They Thought NWS Station Had 10 More Years. Now, Just Days
Cape Cod station abandoned 2 weeks ago due to coastal erosion to be razed later this month
- Crashing waves were clearly eroding the land around a National Weather Service station on Massachusetts' Cape Cod. Still, officials thought it would stand for another 10 years at least. That's not the case now. The Chatham station, which has been in use for 50 years, was abandoned on March...
Bones of Legendary
Pirate May Have Been Found
in case you missed it
Feb 14, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Bones of Legendary Pirate May Have Been Found
Experts hope to identify the 'Robin Hood of the Sea'
- Experts may be close to identifying the remains of a legendary pirate whose treasure-filled ship went down off the coast of Cape Cod 300 years ago. At least six skeletons were pulled recently from the
and are now being examined by the man who in 1984 discovered the...
Cape Cod Island
Opens to Public for
First Time in Centuries
Aug 4, 2020 2:21 AM CDT
Cape Cod Island Opens to Public for First Time in Centuries
Sipson Island opens to visitors for first time in 300 years
- A Cape Cod island is open to the public for the first time in three centuries. Sipson Island, located in Pleasant Bay off the coast of Orleans, Mass., opened to visitors last month, marking the first time the public has been welcomed to the island since 1711, the
Cape Cod Warns About
Getting Back in the Water
Jun 30, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Cape Cod Warns About Getting Back in the Water
They say great white sharks are coming close to shore
- Cape Cod's beaches and towns may be quieter because of the coronavirus pandemic, but officials are reminding visitors ahead of the July 4th holiday that the famous Massachusetts getaway remains a popular destination for other summertime travelers: great white sharks. Cape Cod National Seashore Chief Ranger Leslie Reynolds warned...
In Massachusetts, a 'Really
Exciting' Bald Eagle Nest
May 29, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
In Massachusetts, a 'Really Exciting' Bald Eagle Nest
It's the first active nest in Cape Cod in more than a century
- For the first time in 115 years, a bald eagle nest with eggs has been spotted on Cape Cod. The Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife has reported a "dramatic uptick" in active bald eagle nests this spring, with more than 70 seen across the state, reports CNN . Nine...
There's Only One Sure Way
to Avoid a Shark Attack
Oct 16, 2019 6:32 PM CDT
There's Only One Sure Way to Avoid a Shark Attack
Research for Cape Cod finds no perfect tech solution
- A 192-page report commissioned by Cape Cod communities advises that the only foolproof way to avoid being attacked by a shark is to stay on land. Technology can help, but there's no device yet that can protect swimmers, the Woods Hole Group said, and just knowing sharks are in...
Great White Leaves Water
to Steal Family's Catch
Jul 21, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
Great White Leaves Water to Steal Family's Catch
Shark takes fish off line in Cape Cod Bay
- A family fishing in Cape Cod Bay had an up-close and personal encounter with a great white shark that leaped out of the water to snatch a fish they had caught right off the line. Doug Nelson, of Franklin, who caught the leaping shark on video on Saturday, told New...
190 Turtles Freeze to Death
Nov 25, 2018 5:15 PM CST
190 Turtles Freeze to Death
Two chilling nights killed them off the coast of Cape Cod
- Nearly 190 sea turtles died off Cape Cod in a way no one wants to go—slowly freezing to death. The Mass Audubon wildlife sanctuary says the turtles were found "incapacitated" along the coast of Massachusetts early Friday, NBC News reports. "A lot of the turtles were found...
Cape Cod Shark Attack Victim
Assured Aunt, 'They're Not
Going to Bite Me'
Sep 17, 2018 2:34 PM CDT
Cape Cod Shark Attack Victim Assured Aunt, 'They're Not Going to Bite Me'
'I'm Superman,' Arthur Medici used to tell his aunt
- Marisa Medici was always concerned about her nephew, Arthur, when he went boogie boarding in what the
describes as the "shark-infested waters" of Cape Cod. "Oh my gosh, that’s where he wanted to be every day. Every day. Always I asked him, 'Don’t...
Shark Sightings, Encounters
off Cape Cod Up in 2018
Aug 31, 2018 5:40 PM CDT
Shark Sightings, Encounters off Cape Cod Up in 2018
This month brought the first attack on a human since 2012
- As another beach season draws to a close on Cape Cod, researchers are trying to figure out what's driving the increase in shark sightings and encounters—including Massachusetts' first attack on a human since 2012. One prominent researcher suggests the presence of younger and smaller great white sharks this...
Cape Cod Shark Attack Victim
Explains How He Survived
Aug 29, 2018 5:00 AM CDT
Cape Cod Shark Attack Victim Explains How He Survived
William Lytton says he punched shark in the gills
- The man bitten by a shark off Cape Cod this month said on Tuesday he escaped by punching the powerful predator in the gills after it clamped down on his leg, the AP reports. In his first interview since the Aug. 15 attack, William Lytton said he'd been swimming...
Cape Cod Suffers First
Shark Attack in 6 Years
Aug 16, 2018 1:31 AM CDT
Cape Cod Suffers First Shark Attack in 6 Years
Man suffered wounds to torso, legs
- A man swimming off Cape Cod was attacked by a shark on Wednesday and was airlifted to a hospital. It was the first shark attack on a human at the popular summer tourist destination since 2012. The victim was a 61-year-old man who suffered puncture wounds to his torso and...
Stephen King's Son
Thinks He's Found
Murder Victim in
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 12, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Stephen King's Son Thinks He's Found Murder Victim in
'If nothing else, it's a pretty good little ghost story'
- "What if the young murder victim no one has ever been able to identify has been seen by hundreds of millions of people in a beloved summer classic?" It's a wild idea, but one Joe Hill just can't shake since seeing
on the big screen in...
It's Been 100 Years Since
Germans Shelled a US Town
Jul 17, 2018 4:25 AM CDT
It's Been 100 Years Since Germans Shelled a US Town
German U-156 submarine broke the surface off Orleans, Mass.
- Over 3,000 miles from the trenches and battlefields of the Western Front, where many hundreds of thousands had already died, residents of Orleans, Mass., were enjoying a typical summer morning on July 21, 1918, waiting for the fog to lift off the shore. Then suddenly, a German U-156 submarine...
Cape Cod's Hot New
Tourists: Great Whites
Mar 12, 2017 9:37 AM CDT
Cape Cod's Hot New Tourists: Great Whites
Number of sharks is on the rise as predators follow seals
- Great white sharks are discovering what tourists have known for years: Cape Cod is a great place to spend the summer. The latest data from a multiyear study found that the number of sharks in waters off the vacation haven is on the rise, Greg Skomal, a scientist with the...
Jeep Stuck in Sand Dune
40 Years Is Finally Free
Feb 25, 2017 6:20 AM CST
Jeep Stuck in Sand Dune 40 Years Is Finally Free
Its driving days are over
- A Jeep buried in sand in Massachusetts 40 years ago has finally been dug out. Work crews on Friday pulled out the rusted remnants of what John Munsnuff says was once his family's "beach buggy" at the home they've long owned near Ballston Beach in Cape Cod,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.