Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dow Closes Down 1,164 Points,
in Biggest Loss Since 2020
May 18, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Dow Closes Down 1,164 Points, in Biggest Loss Since 2020
Stocks slumped on Walmart and Target's earnings
- US stocks were hammered on Wednesday, with the Dow Jones closing down 1,164 points, or 3.57%. CNBC reports that marks the fifth Dow drop of 800+ points this year and is the biggest drop since June 2020. The S&P 500 was down 4%, the biggest decrease since...
Airline's Stock Soars After
JetBlue Announces Hostile Bid
May 16, 2022 3:26 PM CDT
Airline's Stock Soars After JetBlue Announces Hostile Bid
Spirit Airlines was up 13.6%
- Stocks ended another wobbly day mostly lower on Wall Street Monday, extending a losing streak for markets. The S&P 500 couldn’t hold on to an afternoon gain and ended down 0.4%. The benchmark index is coming off a six-week losing streak. Tech companies were among the biggest...
Stocks Drop After
Inflation Report Is
Worse Than Feared
May 11, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Stocks Drop After Inflation Report Is Worse Than Feared
Tech stocks led the way down
- Stocks fell on Wall Street Wednesday, led by more drops in technology companies, after a report on inflation came in worse than feared. The S&P 500 fell 65.87 points, or 1.6%, to 3,935.18. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 326.63 points, or 1%, to...
Peloton Drops 8.7%
After Reporting Fall in Sales
May 10, 2022 3:59 PM CDT
Peloton Drops 8.7% After Reporting Fall in Sales
Tech gains helped S&P 500 revere slide
- Stocks ended mixed on Wall Street Tuesday after a rally in technology companies helped reverse most of an early slide. The S&P 500 wound up 0.2% higher after giving up most of an early gain of 1.9%. It also traded in the red around midday. Big technology...
May 9, 2022 3:36 PM CDT
Wall Street's Losses Worsen
S&P 500 is at its lowest in more than a yer
- Stocks deepened their losses on Wall Street Monday, sending the S&P 500 to its lowest close in more than a year. The benchmark index is coming off its fifth weekly loss in a row as renewed worries about China’s economy piled on top of markets already battered by...
After Fed Chair's
Remarks, Stocks Soar to
Biggest Gain in 2 Years
May 4, 2022 3:43 PM CDT
After Fed Chair's Remarks, Stocks Soar to Biggest Gain in 2 Years
Jerome Powell downplayed chances of even bigger rate increase
- Stocks soared to their biggest gain in two years Wednesday and bond yields dropped after Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell downplayed the likelihood of an even larger rate increase than the one announced Wednesday. That allayed concerns that the central bank was on its way to a massive increase of...
Investors Are 'Positioning'
Ahead of Fed Rate Decision
May 3, 2022 3:34 PM CDT
Investors Are 'Positioning' Ahead of Fed Rate Decision
Indexes edged higher Tuesday
- Stock closed modestly higher on Wall Street Tuesday as investors await Wednesday’s decision by the Federal Reserve on interest rates. The S&P 500 rose 20.10 points, or 0.5%, to 4,175.48. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 67.29 points, or 0.2%, to 33,...
Late Rally From Tech Stocks
Erases Early Wall St. Slump
May 2, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Late Rally From Tech Stocks Erases Early Wall St. Slump
Bond yields hit highest level since 2018
- A late rally in big technology stocks erased an afternoon slump on Wall Street and left major indexes moderately higher. The uneven start to May followed a brutal April in which widespread technology sell-offs dragged down major benchmarks. Facebook’s parent company and chipmaker Nvidia each rose 5.3%. The...
Boeing Among the Losers
in Wobbly Day on Wall St.
Apr 27, 2022 3:49 PM CDT
Boeing Among the Losers in Wobbly Day on Wall St.
'Everyone is dealing with this sort of whack-a-mole of risks'
- Stocks ended with meager gains on Wall Street Wednesday, stabilizing after a sell-off in tech stocks a day earlier. It’s the latest turbulence for the market as traders brace for more earnings reports from major US companies. The S&P 500 saw most of a midday rally evaporate and...
Tesla Stock Slumps 12.2%
Apr 26, 2022 3:54 PM CDT
Tesla Stock Slumps 12.2%
Investors worry Twitter buy will distract Musk
- More sharp declines in Big Tech stocks sent the Nasdaq composite down 4% Tuesday, the worst drop for the tech-heavy index since September 2020. The Nasdaq is now down 20% so far this year as investors shun the ultra-pricey tech sector, which had made gangbuster gains for much of the...
Twitter Stock Rises,
Tesla Falls After
Musk Buyout Confirmed
Apr 25, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Twitter Stock Rises, Tesla Falls After Musk Buyout Confirmed
Indexes close higher after late wave of buying
- A late wave of buying left major indexes higher on Wall Street after another day of up-and-down trading. A rebound in technology stocks helped turn things around in the last hour of trading Monday. The S&P 500 rose 24.34 points, or 0.6%, to 4,296.12. The...
Netflix Stock Plunges 35%
Apr 20, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Netflix Stock Plunges 35%
Massive drop dragged down major indexes
- Stocks edged mostly higher in afternoon trading on Wall Street Wednesday, but indexes were held back by streaming entertainment giant Netflix, which lost more than a third of its value. IBM jumped and helped give the Dow a bump after reporting results that beat analysts’ estimates, the AP reports. The...
Dow Just Had Its
Best Day in a Month
Apr 19, 2022 4:09 PM CDT
Dow Just Had Its Best Day in a Month
Index jumps nearly 500 points as optimism returns to Wall St.
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Tuesday as technology stocks rallied following a weak start. The S&P 500 rose 70.52 points, or 1.6%, to 4,462.21. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 499.51 points, or 1.5%, to 34,911.20 in its biggest rise...
Twitter Jumps 7.5% After
'Poison Pill' Plan Adopted
Apr 18, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Twitter Jumps 7.5% After 'Poison Pill' Plan Adopted
Major indexes dipped despite strong results from banks
- Stocks closed slightly lower after a wobbly day of trading Monday as worries about rising interest rates and high inflation keep a lid on Wall Street despite some better-than-expected profit reports from banks. The S&P 500 fell 0.90 points, or 0.02%, to 4,391.69. The Dow...
Airline Stocks Jump After
Upbeat News From Delta
Apr 13, 2022 3:39 PM CDT
Airline Stocks Jump After Upbeat News From Delta
Airline reports strong revenue, bookings
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Wednesday as investors reviewed the latest round of corporate earnings and an upbeat report from Delta Air Lines that bodes well for the travel industry. The S&P 500 rose 49.14 points, or 1.1%, to 4,446.59. The Dow Jones Industrial...
'This Is a Time When
Will Be Tested'
Apr 12, 2022 3:41 PM CDT
'This Is a Time When Economic Resilience Will Be Tested'
Markets pull back after report on inflation
- Stock indexes edged lower on Wall Street Tuesday, shedding early gains as investors weigh new data on inflation . The pullback follows back-to-back losses driven by worries about the economic collateral damage as the Federal Reserve tackles high inflation more aggressively. A report showed inflation is still at its highest level...
Tech, Energy Stocks Tumble
Apr 11, 2022 4:03 PM CDT
Tech, Energy Stocks Tumble
Twitter up 1.7% after Musk says he won't join board
- Stocks fell on Wall Street Monday, extending a losing streak from last week. Technology stocks sank and were the biggest weights on the market. Energy companies also slipped along with falling crude oil prices. Twitter rose 1.7% after Tesla CEO Elon Musk said he wouldn’t be joining the...
Stocks Drop After Minutes
From Fed Meeting Released
Apr 6, 2022 3:44 PM CDT
Stocks Drop After Minutes From Fed Meeting Released
Tech stocks were the biggest drag on the market
- Stocks fell and bond yields rose on Wall Street Wednesday after details from last month’s Federal Reserve meeting showed the central bank intends to be aggressive in its efforts to fight inflation. Minutes from the meeting show that policymakers agreed to begin cutting the Fed’s stockpile of Treasurys...
Bond Yields Jump After
Remark From Fed Governor
Apr 5, 2022 3:47 PM CDT
Bond Yields Jump After Remark From Fed Governor
Tech stocks drag Wall St. indexes down
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street Tuesday and bond yields jumped as remarks by a Federal Reserve governor fueled expectations on Wall Street that the central bank is prepared to more aggressively raise interest rates and take other steps in a bid to tame surging inflation. The S&P 500...
Twitter Jumps 27.6%
After Musk Buy Disclosed
Apr 4, 2022 3:34 PM CDT
Twitter Jumps 27.6% After Musk Buy Disclosed
Markets pleased with news Tesla CEO bought 9.2% stake in company
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street on Monday with help from big technology and communications stocks. Twitter soared 27.6% following a big investment in the company from Tesla’s Elon Musk. The gains in technology companies helped offset weakness in other parts of the market, the AP reports. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.