Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Grand Ole Opry (Not That One)
to Uphold Confederate Flag Ban
Nov 28, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Grand Ole Opry (Not That One) to Uphold Confederate Flag Ban
Scotland's most popular country music club, in Glasgow, was using Confederate flag in ceremony
- The Grand Ole Opry has been embroiled in a controversy over the Confederate flag—but it's not the Tennessee venue, and the controversy appears to be over, at least for now. The BBC reports that members of Scotland's most famous country music club, of the same name as...
The Scottish Wildcat Is
Now ... Basically Just a Cat
Nov 12, 2023 6:02 AM CST
The Scottish Wildcat Is Now ... Basically Just a Cat
Over the last 7 decades, it has mated with domestic cats to the point of pushing it to extinction
- For millennia, the Scottish wildcat prowled Great Britain, stalking prey and ignoring humans and its domesticated cousins alike. But as a study in
reports, that all changed in the 1950s and '60s, when disease killed off much of the rabbit population the wildcats depended on for food...
'Incredibly Rare' Tomb
Holds Hugging Skeletons
Oct 26, 2023 12:14 PM CDT
'Incredibly Rare' Tomb Holds Hugging Skeletons
Archaeologists unearthed the 5K-year-old tomb in a field in Scotland
- On the surface, "it's just a gently rolling field of grass" in Scotland. But below the ground, archaeologists have discovered an "incredibly rare" 5,000-year-old tomb holding the remains of 14 people, two of whom appear to be hugging and one who appears to be reaching out...
Podcast Sparks Probe Into
Mystery Serial Killer 'Bible John'
Oct 12, 2023 9:05 AM CDT
Podcast Sparks Probe Into Mystery Serial Killer 'Bible John'
Police allegedly concealed identity of man thought to have killed 3 women in Glasgow
- Scottish police are reexamining three unsolved murders attributed to the country's most notorious alleged serial killer following an award-winning BBC podcast that suggested a police coverup. Journalist Audrey Gillan's
Bible John: Creation of the Serial Killer
, released in late 2022, told how Helen Puttock, Jemima MacDonald, and Patricia...
Coins May Have Been
Hidden Before 1692 Massacre
Oct 9, 2023 11:28 AM CDT
Coins May Have Been Hidden Before 1692 Massacre
Archaeologists find small pot filled with them in Scotland
- It appears that Alasdair "Maclain" MacDonald saw trouble coming and stashed away some coins under a fireplace. More than 330 years later, Scottish archaeologists suggest they've found them, reports Live Science . A member of a University of Glasgow team found a small pot filled with the coins inside...
Serial Rape Suspect Who
Faked Death to Face the Music
Oct 5, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Serial Rape Suspect Who Faked Death to Face the Music
Scottish ministers sign order allowing Nicholas Alahverdian (Rossi) to be extradited to US
- A convicted sex offender who faked his death to avoid a rape charge in Utah will soon be heading stateside. Scotland's Justice Secretary Angela Constance signed an extradition order last week, eliminating one of the final hurdles preventing Nicholas Alahverdian's return to the US. Alahverdian, who uses numerous...
Buyer of World's
Largest Bottle of
Aug 31, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Buyer of World's Largest Bottle of Whisky Revealed
311-liter bottle of Macallan joins Viet Nguyen Dinh Tuan's $190M collection
- The owner of the most expensive whisky cask sold at auction has been revealed as a Vietnamese man with a spirits collection valued at $190 million. Viet Nguyen Dinh Tuan, who paid nearly $1.2 million for the cask of 32-year-old Macallan single malt whisky, bottled in a 311-liter vessel...
'Horrendous News' in
Search for Scottish Hikers
Aug 7, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
'Horrendous News' in Search for Scottish Hikers
3 found dead after setting out to hike notorious ridge
- The bodies of three missing hikers were recovered from a mountain in the Scottish Highlands after they didn't return from a notoriously difficult scramble on one of the narrowest ridge crests in Britain, police said Monday. The trio set out Saturday in Glen Coe to hike the Aonach Eagach,...
Greta Thunberg Bows Out of
Event Over 'Greenwashing'
Aug 4, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Greta Thunberg Bows Out of Event Over 'Greenwashing'
Climate activist cites sponsorship from investment firm with ties to fossil fuels
- Greta Thunberg has pulled out of an international book festival, where she was slated to discuss her recent book on climate change, due to what she claims is "greenwashing" by the festival's main sponsor. The climate activist said she would not attend the Edinburgh International Book Festival, to...
Case of American Accused of
Faking Death Takes New Turn
Aug 2, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Case of American Accused of Faking Death Takes New Turn
Scottish judge rules Nicholas Rossi can be extradited to Utah to face charges
- An American fugitive accused of faking his own death to avoid a rape charge in Utah can be extradited to the US, a judge in Scotland ruled Wednesday, calling the man "as dishonest and deceitful as he is evasive and manipulative." The wanted man known in Scotland as...
The Orkney Islands Are
Tired of Getting 'Crumbs'
Jul 6, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
The Orkney Islands Are Tired of Getting 'Crumbs'
Council on Tuesday voted to study 'alternative models of governance'
- Officials on the Orkney Islands, a corner of Scotland with Viking roots, voted Tuesday to explore ways of seeking more autonomy —or even independence—from neglectful UK governments. Journalists from across Britain and around the world tuned in remotely as Orkney Islands Council voted to study "alternative models...
an Elaborate Day
for King Charles
Jul 5, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
In Scotland, an Elaborate Day for King Charles
He'll be presented with the Scottish crown jewels
- Two months after the lavish coronation of King Charles III at Westminster Abbey in London, Scotland is set to host its own event to mark the new monarch's accession to the throne. While Charles and Queen Camilla won't be crowned a second time Wednesday in Edinburgh, the festivities...
Scottish Islands Want
a Return to Norway
Jul 3, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Scottish Islands Want a Return to Norway
Orkney Islands say they're being neglected by Edinburgh and London
- The push for Scottish independence has been going, well, not very well for centuries, and now Scotland's Orkney Islands are looking to take matters into their own hands. As the BBC reports, local officials, tired of getting what they deem short-shrift from their relationships with both Edinburgh and the...
Delta Pilot Arrested
at Scottish Airport
Jun 20, 2023 4:52 PM CDT
Delta Pilot Arrested at Scottish Airport
Allegedly drunk pilot was arrested 35 minutes before flight to New York City
- A Delta Air Lines pilot who was allegedly too drunk to fly was arrested just 35 minutes before a flight from Edinburgh to New York City was due to take off, authorities say. Scottish police say the 61-year-old man was arrested at the airport at 10am Friday on suspicion of...
Jun 11, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Ex-Scottish Leader Nicola Sturgeon Arrested, Questioned
Police investigating party finances release her hours later
- Former Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who dominated politics in Scotland for almost a decade, was arrested and questioned for several hours on Sunday by police investigating the finances of the governing, pro-independence Scottish National Party. Police Scotland said a 52-year-old woman was detained Sunday morning "as a suspect...
May 24, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
Michelangelo Gets Censored in Scottish Subway Ad
'David' needs a crop before he can be used to hawk pizza in Glasgow
- He may be nearly universally considered a masterpiece made by one of the most widely renowned artists in history, but Michelangelo's David is definitely naked, and as such, proved a little too much for a Scottish subway system. As Hyperallergic reports, the idea was for Glasgow-based Italian restaurant Barolo...
A Political Probe in Scotland
Leads to a High-Profile Arrest
Apr 5, 2023 7:38 AM CDT
A Political Probe in Scotland Leads to a High-Profile Arrest
Nicola Sturgeon's husband, Peter Murrell, being questioned as part of SNP finance investigation
- There were enough complaints about the use—and alleged misuse—of Scottish National Party donations that Police Scotland launched a probe in July 2021. Now, a headline-grabbing development: Former first minister Nicola Sturgeon's husband has been "arrested as a suspect" in that investigation, reports the
. Peter Murrell,...
Has a Successor
Mar 27, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Nicola Sturgeon Has a Successor
Humza Yousaf will succeed her as SNP leader
- Nearly six weeks after Nicola Sturgeon stunned Scotland with her decision to step down as first minister, the Scottish National Party has elected her replacement: Health Secretary Humza Yousaf will take the party's reins, and is virtually assured of being elected the nation's sixth first minister in a...
His Robber Instantly
Mar 11, 2023 5:05 PM CST
Victim Recognized His Robber Instantly
Masked man told his son he was desperate
- A man trying to rob a teenager at an ATM in Scotland didn't recognize his victim right away as he pressed a knife against his neck, but the 17-year-old wasn't fooled by the mask. "Are you serious?" he asked his father. "Do you know who this...
Nicola Sturgeon Stuns With
Feb 15, 2023 7:30 AM CST
Nicola Sturgeon Stuns With Resignation Announcement
She has led Scotland since 2014
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon on Wednesday announced her resignation. The move comes amid criticism of her drive to make it easier for people to legally change genders, though the first female leader of Scotland said that the decision to leave was "not a reaction to short-term pressures. ... Of course...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.