Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
USDA: School Lunch
Proposal Is Efficient.
Jan 18, 2020 7:30 AM CST
USDA: School Lunch Proposal Is Efficient. Critics: 'Unconscionable'
Department wants schools to be able to cut mandates on fruits and veggies, offer more pizza
- Michelle Obama turned 56 Friday, but one unwelcome gift came in the form of a new Trump proposal that would strike further at one of her most well-known initiatives as first lady: healthier school lunches. Per the
, the Department of Agriculture on Friday released proposed mandates on "...
Toss Meals of
$15 Lunch Debt
Nov 13, 2019 1:45 PM CST
Cafeteria Workers Toss Meals of Students With $15 Lunch Debt
The Minnesota incident was caught on video, and the school has apologized
- Students with more than $15 of lunch debt who went through the cafeteria line at Minnesota's Richfield High School had their hot meals taken off their trays, thrown in the trash, and replaced with cold lunches when cafeteria workers saw the amount of debt on their accounts. The incident...
Warren Decries 'Cruel' Policy
on School Lunch Debt
Oct 23, 2019 8:51 AM CDT
Warren Decries 'Cruel' Policy on School Lunch Debt
NJ student worries it will affect his college prospects
- A New Jersey school district with $16,500 in student lunch debt would like to point out that all of its 11,350 students are "provided the lunch of their choice, regardless of whether they have money for it or not." That's not quite what critics are...
Trade War Brings
Bonus Food to Schools
Aug 12, 2019 1:45 AM CDT
Trade War Brings Bonus Food to Schools
USDA is buying, giving away food to help farmers
- School lunch menus already have Meatless Mondays and Taco Tuesdays. Now some may get Trade Mitigation Thursdays. This fall, some US school cafeterias are expecting shipments of free food, one little-known consequence of President Trump's trade disputes. The products are coming from the Department of Agriculture, which is giving...
CEO Tries to Pay Kids'
Lunch Debt, Is Refused
in case you missed it
Jul 27, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
CEO Tries to Pay Kids' Lunch Debt, Is Refused
La Colombe CEO Todd Carmichael said school district won't take his $22K
- In Todd Carmichael's eyes, it's another outrageous turn in an already outrageous story. The CEO of La Colombe coffee says that he wants to pony up $22,467.76 to wipe out the school-lunch debts of kids within the Wyoming Valley West School District—a Pennsylvania district that...
District Does U-Turn on
Offer to Pay Lunch Debt
Jul 25, 2019 3:18 AM CDT
District Does U-Turn on Offer to Pay Lunch Debt
School board apologizes for foster care threat
- In a move possibly related to widespread criticism and media coverage, a school district in Pennsylvania has done a U-turn on a CEO's offer to erase $22,467.76 in school-lunch debt. The Wyoming Valley West School District now says it will accept La Colombe Coffee CEO Todd Carmichael'...
Now Slamming Fired Lunch
Lady: Mom of the Boy She Fed
May 22, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Now Slamming Fired Lunch Lady: Mom of the Boy She Fed
Story out of New Hampshire involving Bonnie Kimball has some new twists
- A New Hampshire school cafeteria worker was fired after giving a student free food when he reportedly didn't have enough money to pay for it, and then, after national media attention, she rebuffed the school vendor's offer to rehire her. Now, some new twists involving Bonnie Kimball, from...
She Was Fired for
Feeding a Student.
Now, a New Offer
May 18, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
She Was Fired for Feeding a Student. Now, a New Offer
But New Hampshire's Bonnie Kimball simply isn't interested in getting her job back
- A company has offered to rehire a New Hampshire school cafeteria worker it fired for giving a student lunch for free, but she isn't interested. Bonnie Kimball said she was terminated March 28 by Fresh Picks, a vendor that supplies food to the Mascoma Valley Regional High School in...
Feeding Student Who Couldn't
Pay Gets Lunch Worker Fired
May 16, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Feeding Student Who Couldn't Pay Gets Lunch Worker Fired
Food vendor accuses employee of $8 theft
- Bonnie Kimball wasn't just fired from her school cafeteria job for letting a student take a lunch even though he didn't have the money to pay for it, she was accused of stealing $8—the retail price of the lunch. When the boy came through the line with...
Schools Flip on Punishing
Students With Lunch Debt
May 9, 2019 6:33 PM CDT
Schools Flip on Punishing Students With Lunch Debt
District drops plan to provide cold sandwiches only
- A Rhode Island school district reversed its decision to start serving cold sandwiches instead of hot lunches next week to students whose families owe lunch money. Warwick Public Schools had said it would serve sunflower butter-and-jelly sandwiches to students whose families are in arrears beginning Monday, sparking a public backlash...
Kids With Lunch Debt to Get
Cold Sandwiches: District
May 8, 2019 4:15 PM CDT
Kids With Lunch Debt to Get Cold Sandwiches: District
They used to be served a hot meal like everyone else
- Owe lunch money to Warwick Public Schools? Then you'll be eating cold sun butter and jelly sandwiches every day until it's paid up, rather than getting a hot meal, the Rhode Island school district announced over the weekend. Kids will also be allowed to go back to hot...
Big Gift From Philando Castile's
Mom to Students in Debt
May 3, 2019 1:17 PM CDT
Big Gift From Philando Castile's Mom to Students in Debt
Valerie Castile presents $8K donation to Minneapolis-area school to pay seniors' lunch tabs
- It's been almost three years since the police shooting death of Philando Castile in Minnesota, and while the upcoming anniversary will be a sad one, the memory of the generous cafeteria supervisor continues to inspire good. Castile's mom, Valerie Castile, offered up a check Thursday for $8,000...
Puts Biscuits Back on
the School Lunch Menu
Dec 6, 2018 4:44 PM CST
Trump Administration Puts Biscuits Back on the School Lunch Menu
Refined grains, low-fat chocolate milk are once again OK
- The national school lunch program is making room on menus again for noodles, biscuits, tortillas, and other foods made mostly of refined grains. The Trump administration is scaling back contested school lunch standards implemented under the Obama administration including one that required only whole grains be served, the AP reports....
Kangaroo Chili Not a Good
Career Move for School Cook
Oct 21, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Kangaroo Chili Not a Good Career Move for School Cook
Nebraska officials have no appetite for exotic meat, and Kevin Frei is out of a job
- Kevin Frei tossed a little kangaroo meat into his pot of chili—harmlessly, he thought. You're reading about the lunch he was making on Oct. 10 because it was for the junior and senior high school students at Nebraska's Potter-Dix Public Schools, reports WUSA9 , and Frei has since...
Dad Devastated by School
Lunch Shaming Takes Action
Aug 29, 2017 8:53 AM CDT
Dad Devastated by School Lunch Shaming Takes Action
Jeffrey Lew wants to pay off lunch debt for every student in Washington state
- Jeffrey Lew never wants a child to be shamed on the school cafeteria line again. That's why the Seattle dad of three has been hard at work fundraising, with one goal in mind: to pay down the school lunch debt of every student in the state of Washington. Today....
Michelle Obama Slams
Trump School Lunch Policy
May 13, 2017 8:40 AM CDT
Michelle Obama Slams Trump School Lunch Policy
'Why don't you want our kids to have good food at school?'
- Michelle Obama slammed Trump administration efforts to delay or roll back her healthy-eating initiatives Friday, saying parents should "think about why someone is OK with your kids eating crap." The former first lady, speaking at a health conference in Washington, DC, said healthy school lunches should not be...
One US State Just Outlawed
'Lunch Shaming' in Schools
Apr 7, 2017 8:05 PM CDT
One US State Just Outlawed 'Lunch Shaming' in Schools
'We have to separate the child from a debt they have no power to pay'
- Last month at a school in Arizona, a cafeteria worker stamped a second-grader's arm with the phrase "lunch money" after it was discovered he didn't have enough money in his meal account. "He was humiliated," his mother tells BuzzFeed . Elsewhere in the country, children who...
A School Lunch Director Beat
Jamie Oliver at His Own Game
Feb 10, 2017 4:37 PM CST
A School Lunch Director Beat Jamie Oliver at His Own Game
Reality TV villain Rhonda McCoy is a real-life hero
- It turns out it is possible to create healthy school meals without breaking the budget—as long as your town has "an overwhelming determination to prove a reality TV star wrong." In a massive dive into what's gone wrong with America's school lunches, Highline also looks...
Christie: 'I Don't
Care' What's in
Jan 19, 2016 6:11 AM CST
Christie: 'I Don't Care' What's in School Lunches
If he becomes president, kids can eat 'whatever you want'
- Chris Christie may have just become the Republican frontrunner among kids, though he likely irked Michelle Obama in the process. While campaigning in Iowa on Monday, the New Jersey governor fielded a complaint from an 11-year-old boy who said pizza and crispitos, a kind of crispy taco, have vanished from...
Lunch Lady Feeds
Hungry Kid, Gets Fired
Dec 24, 2015 6:50 AM CST
Lunch Lady Feeds Hungry Kid, Gets Fired
'This is just breaking my heart,' says Dalene Bowden
- Dalene Bowden's response when a 12-year-old at Idaho's Irving Middle School told her she was hungry but didn't have any money seemed like a no-brainer: The food service worker gave the girl a free hot meal. In response, she received a letter of termination that called out...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.