Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Voyager 1 Glitch
May 19, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Voyager 1 Glitch Puzzles NASA
Venerable space traveler is mainly OK, but some of the data it's sending back is off
- In the grand scheme of things, the astonishing Voyager 1 is still behaving like a champ. But the 45-year-old space probe is experiencing a glitch that has NASA scientists baffled, reports CNN . As Space.com describes it, Voyager has lately "appeared confused about its location in space." However,...
Voyager 2 Cracks Big
Boundary in Deep Space
Dec 10, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Voyager 2 Cracks Big Boundary in Deep Space
Spacecraft becomes 2nd man-made craft to enter interstellar space
- NASA is now two for two in regard to a huge achievement in space. Voyager 2 has become only the second man-made object to enter interstellar space, or the "space between the stars," as a release from the agency's Jet Propulsion Laboratory puts it. The first was...
Now Available: Same Record
We Shipped to Extraterrestrials
Nov 27, 2017 9:29 AM CST
Now Available: Same Record We Shipped to Extraterrestrials
'Voyager Golden Record' from 1970s is being released to the public
- Somewhere out in the great abyss of space, an alien may be jamming to Chuck Berry this very moment. Now, earthlings can buy the very same record. The
reports that startup Ozma Records is poised to begin shipping copies of the famed
that NASA sent into...
Your Tweet Could
Reach Outside Our
Aug 9, 2017 1:44 PM CDT
Your Tweet Could Reach Outside Our Solar System
NASA accepting anniversary messages for Voyager 1
- Your words could reach out of our solar system—no gigantic megaphone necessary. NASA is hosting a contest that will see a message from one lucky Earthling sent to Voyager 1, which is hurtling through interstellar space. Entrants are invited to submit an "uplifting" message of 60 characters or...
Earth's Message to Aliens
Coming to Humans Soon
Sep 22, 2016 7:43 AM CDT
Earth's Message to Aliens Coming to Humans Soon
Kickstarter campaign seeks to release vinyl version of Voyager's 'golden record'
- It’s been dubbed "music for aliens," but the Voyager golden record, sent into space on NASA's Voyager 1 and 2 in 1977, was as much "a gift
humanity" as it was "a gift from humanity to the cosmos," per a Kickstarter campaign....
OK, Voyager Has
Sep 12, 2013 2:11 PM CDT
OK, Voyager Has
Left Solar System: NASA
And it's the first man-made object to have ever done so
- The Voyager 1 has officially become the first man-made object to cross out of the solar system and into interstellar space—no, really this time. After a series of mistaken and controversial reports, NASA today published a study concluding that the probe definitively crossed the threshold of charged particles and...
Voyager May Have Left
Solar System—a Year Ago
Aug 19, 2013 7:45 AM CDT
Voyager May Have Left Solar System—a Year Ago
Blended magnetic fields at solar system's edge blurred crossing: study
- The Voyager 1 spacecraft, expected to leave our solar system any day now , may actually have already done so—more than a year ago. Though similar reports were squashed earlier this year, a new study in
Astrophysical Journal Letters
suggests that the craft passed beyond the solar system's edge...
Solar System's Edge
Jun 29, 2013 9:13 AM CDT
Solar System's Edge Mystifies Scientists
Voyager 1 reaches outer limits and smashes old theories
- Voyager 1 may not have exited our solar system , but it's throwing scientists some unexpected curve balls from 11 billion miles away, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The spacecraft is now in a strange zone known as the "magnetic highway," and nothing out there seems to be...
Mar 20, 2013 3:21 PM CDT
Voyager Hasn't Made Space History—Yet
NASA discounts report that craft has left the solar system
- Space fans will have to hold off on popping the champagne cork. After the American Geophysical Union declared this morning that Voyager 1 had achieved the mind-boggling feat of leaving our solar system, NASA threw a wet blanket on the party, at least temporarily, reports
. “It is the...
Voyager 1 Drifts
Region of Space
Dec 3, 2012 7:44 PM CST
Voyager 1 Drifts Into Unknown Region of Space
NASA calls it the 'magnetic highway'
- How to best learn about the edge of the solar system? Actually go there. NASA says its Voyager 1 spacecraft—which launched in 1977—has entered an area of the solar system that scientists didn't know about, the AP reports. "We do believe this may be the very...
Edge of Solar System
Dec 14, 2010 6:36 AM CST
Voyager Nears Edge of Solar System
Spacecraft reaches region where solar winds stop
- Some 33 years after it was launched in 1977, Voyager 1 has reached the outer edge of the solar system and is on course to become the first man-made device to sail into the vast stretches of space that lie beyond. Astronomers have confirmed that the spacecraft has reached a...
Solar System Is Dented: Voyager
Dec 11, 2007 9:18 AM CST
Solar System Is Dented: Voyager
Intrepid spacecraft finds strange bulges in the heliosphere
- Far out in space, a violent boundary zone marks the point where our solar system ends and outer space begins. NASA's Voyager 2 has now confirmed what its sister ship indicated: that this region is squashed and uneven, Space.com
reports. This shock wave "sloshes back and forth like...
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
This Is 'the Worst Kind of Earthquake'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.