Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Who Drink Solo,
Take Heed of This Study
Jul 13, 2022 2:49 PM CDT
Young People Who Drink Solo, Take Heed of This Study
Study finds young solitary drinkers at increased risk for alcoholism in mid-30s
- The manner in which you drink alcohol as a young person might be more important than how much you drink in determining future alcoholism risk, according to new research that warns against drinking alone in early life, especially if you're a young female. Researchers analyzed data from 4,500...
Selma Blair: I Got Drunk
at Age 7, Kept Drinking
May 11, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
Selma Blair: I Got Drunk at Age 7, Kept Drinking
The actor got sober in 2016
- Actor Selma Blair has been very public about her battle with MS. Now she's going public with all the battles that have come before it. In new memoir
Blair recounts getting drunk at age 7, decades of alcohol addiction, numerous rapes, and suicide attempts. She provided
Demi Lovato Announces
New Approach to Sobriety
Dec 4, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Demi Lovato Announces New Approach to Sobriety
Singer says they're now 'sober sober,' not 'California sober'—meaning no more occasional weed, booze
- Demi Lovato has long struggled with substance abuse issues, leading to a 2018 overdose , and this week, they revealed to fans that they're shifting how they deal with their addictions. "I no longer support my 'California sober' ways," Lovato posted Thursday in an Instagram story, reports...
Jessica Simpson Shares
Nov 2, 2021 8:32 AM CDT
Jessica Simpson Shares 'Unrecognizable' Photo
Photo taken on what singer says was her worst day
- Jessica Simpson has opened up in the past about her demons, including substance abuse in adulthood she says was triggered by being sexually abused as a young child. In her 2020 memoir , Simpson also recalled the day that she realized she'd hit rock bottom: Halloween 2017 . On that day...
Her '3 Years
Jul 12, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Patricia Heaton Talks About Her '3 Years of Freedom'
'Everybody Loves Raymond' actor celebrates anniversary of kicking alcohol to the curb
- A post over the weekend from Patricia Heaton gave a shoutout to both America and to an achievement by Heaton herself. "It's July, [when] we celebrate our nation's freedom," the 63-year-old
Everybody Loves Raymond
actor noted in a Saturday video on social media...
The Science Is In: AA Works
Mar 11, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
The Science Is In: AA Works
Alcoholics Anonymous works better than professional therapy, in fact
- An extensive new study confirms that Alcoholics Anonymous works. In fact, AA not only helps alcoholics get sober, the free program was found to be more effective than professional mental health therapy in terms of participants staying sober. The research, a review of dozens of studies involving more than 10,...
Americans Are Drinking
More, and Here's Why
Jan 14, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Americans Are Drinking More, and Here's Why
Seems there's a cultural change, and no 'policy response to match it'
- Americans are drinking more now than when Prohibition was enacted. What's more, it's been rising for two decades, and it's not clear when it will fall again. That’s the picture painted by federal health statistics, which show a rise in per-person consumption and increases in emergency...
Looks Like Movie Star
Fell Off the Wagon
Oct 27, 2019 3:12 PM CDT
Looks Like Movie Star Fell Off the Wagon
Ben Affleck loses his balance after leaving LA event
- Seems Ben Affleck knocked back a few at a Halloween party in Los Angeles after staying sober for more than a year,
star—or what looks like him, behind a skull mask—was caught by TMZ leaving a Unicef ball in West Hollywood on...
Servers Who Fake-Smile
Can't Hold Back After Work
Apr 10, 2019 6:43 PM CDT
Servers Who Fake-Smile Can't Hold Back After Work
It's especially hard for those with an impulsive personality
- Those fake smiles and "thank yous" can really add up—especially if you're a spontaneous person. A new study finds that customer-service workers who force happy behavior on the job are more likely to over-drink after work, the
reports. Researchers at the University of Buffalo and...
Rosie O'Donnell Reveals
What Her Father Did
Mar 13, 2019 4:28 PM CDT
Rosie O'Donnell Reveals What Her Father Did
'The View' co-host says her mother's death changed things
- Rosie O'Donnell has talked about her "alcoholic, abusive" father before, but she never mentioned sexual abuse—until now, the
New York Post
reports. "It started very young," the 56-year-old talk show host tells
New York bureau chief Ramin Setoodeh. "And then when my mother...
Trump Announces Where
$100K of His Salary Will Go
Jan 27, 2019 6:25 AM CST
Trump Announces Where $100K of His Salary Will Go
Salary from Q3 of 2018 will go to alcoholism research
- President Trump has donated his salary from the third-quarter of 2018 to the federal agency that researches alcoholism and alcohol-related problems. The White House says Trump donated $100,000 to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Alcoholism is a personal issue for the president, reports the AP . His...
Affleck's Ex 'Had to Let
Him Hit Bottom': Source
Aug 25, 2018 11:50 AM CDT
Affleck's Ex 'Had to Let Him Hit Bottom': Source
'Saturday Night Live' producer Lindsay Shookus tried to keep him sober, source says
- Seems addiction is having a huge impact on Ben Affleck's life. Not only is he back in rehab, a source tells
Saturday Night Live
producer Lindsay Shookus broke up with him over his struggles: "Lindsay had been supporting Ben’s sobriety and going to meetings with...
David Cassidy Dropped a
Bombshell Before He Died
Jun 7, 2018 7:10 AM CDT
David Cassidy Dropped a Bombshell Before He Died
He told A&E producer he was still drinking, didn't have dementia
- To explain slurred speech and a near fall in the months before his November death from organ failure , David Cassidy publicly claimed he was suffering from dementia . Privately, he admitted his true disease. "There is no sign of me having dementia at this stage of my life. It was...
GOP Lawmaker: 'I Am a Good
Man and I'm an Alcoholic'
May 29, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
GOP Lawmaker: 'I Am a Good Man and I'm an Alcoholic'
Rep. Garrett will not seek re-election
- Rep. Tom Garrett says he won't seek re-election to the House this year—not because of reports he mistreated his staffers, but because he is an alcoholic. "Any person—Republican, Democrat, or independent—who has known me for any period of time and has any integrity knows two...
Tommy Lee: He
Did It for All of Us
Mar 9, 2018 8:11 AM CST
Anderson on Son Punching Tommy Lee: He Did It for All of Us
She says son Brandon punched her ex in 'self-defense' while attempting alcohol intervention
- The drama between rocker Tommy Lee and his family just rose a notch, and everyone involved is weighing in. An altercation took place Monday between the 55-year-old Motley Crue drummer and his 21-year-old son, Brandon, at Lee's home in Calabasas, Calif., with Lee tweeting the next day Brandon had...
to Beat Drunk
May 1, 2017 12:38 PM CDT
Indian Wedding Gift: Paddles to Beat Drunk Husbands
State minister gives them out to hundreds of brides to curb domestic abuse
- A wooden bat: not exactly the first thing to come to mind when you think "wedding gift," but that is indeed the wedding gift that hundreds of new brides in India recently received from the state minister of Madhya Pradesh. The actual purpose of the 15-inch-long, paddle-shaped bats...
Push to Stop
Town of 12 From
Selling 3.5M Beers
Feb 14, 2017 8:04 PM CST
Push to Stop Town of 12 From Selling 3.5M Beers
Whiteclay abuts a South Dakota Indian reservation plagued by alcoholism
- A faith ministry in Nebraska has started a fundraising campaign to buy out four stores that sell millions of cans of beer each year in a tiny village next to a South Dakota Indian reservation plagued by alcoholism. The Lakota Hope street ministry in Whiteclay, Neb., is looking to raise...
Feb 2, 2017 12:22 PM CST
Man's Daily Vodka Intake Calcified His Pancreas
He'd consumed the equivalent of 5 shots daily for 15 years
- After drinking a half a pint of vodka every day since he was 35, a 50-year-old man in Pennsylvania went to the emergency room vomiting blood. He complained of abdominal pain and "foul-smelling diarrhea" that had been plaguing him for two months, per a report on his case in...
What Marriage Can Do
to Your Drinking Habits
May 17, 2016 5:15 PM CDT
What Marriage Can Do to Your Drinking Habits
Marriage lowers risk of alcoholism, study says
- While some people complain their spouse drives them to drink, scientists now say the opposite is true. A study published Monday in the
American Journal of Psychiatry
finds a powerful link between marriage and a reduced risk of developing problems with alcohol. "With this study, we were trying to...
Americans Name Drug They
Fear Most—and It's Legal
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 3, 2016 2:35 PM CDT
Americans Name Drug They Fear Most—and It's Legal
Alcohol causes 88K deaths a year
- The second deadliest drug in the US after tobacco is similarly legal, and claims more lives than all illicit drugs combined with 88,000 deaths a year. Alcohol is also the drug that has Americans most concerned, reports the AP and the NORC Center for Public Affairs Research at the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainians Flee Recaptured City
Florida Beaches Run Short of Sand
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed on Ill-Advised Development
Irish Court to Elon Musk: No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.