Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to 30 Years in Prison
May 11, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Woman Sentenced to 30 Years in Prison Over Miscarriage
El Salvador has a history of sentences like this for pregnancy loss
- A court in El Salvador has sentenced a woman who suffered an obstetric emergency that ended her pregnancy to 30 years in prison for aggravated homicide, according to a nongovernmental organization assisting in her defense. The Citizen Group for the Decriminalization of Abortion said Tuesday in a statement that a...
'Buys the Dip!'
May 10, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Bitcoin Sinks, and One Nation Happily 'Buys the Dip!'
El Salvador, where the cryptocurrency is legal tender, has so far lost a lot of money on its bet
- By Bloomberg's count, the government of El Salvador has shelled out $103 million since last year to buy 2,301 Bitcoins. As of Tuesday morning, those crypto coins were worth about ... $74 million. That is a sub-optimal return on investment. But President Nayib Bukele, who led the successful push...
El Salvador Has
Deadliest Day in 30 Years
Mar 28, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
El Salvador Has Deadliest Day in 30 Years
After 62 murders on Saturday, nation declares a state of emergency
- El Salvador is now under a state of emergency after racking up a staggering 62 murders in a single day on Saturday. The killings are blamed on gangs, particularly MS-13 and Barrio 18, but the victims weren't necessarily gang members: The
New York Times
reports that gunmen were "...
Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
Sep 7, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
Starting Tuesday, bitcoin can be used as legal tender nationwide
- Earlier this year, El Salvador became the first country to give bitcoin the green light as legal tender. And Tuesday is "B-day," the day that legislation goes into effect, with Salvadorans now able to use the cryptocurrency in any transaction. Residents in the country—which has had the...
World Bank Rejects
a Nation's Plea
for Bitcoin Help
Jun 17, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
World Bank Rejects a Nation's Plea for Bitcoin Help
Institution says it won't help El Salvador due to 'environmental and transparency shortcomings'
- The first country in the world to adopt bitcoin as legal tender recently made a big ask of the World Bank, requesting that the international financial institution help it implement its plans—but it's a no from the group to El Salvador. "This is not something the World...
First Country Makes
Bitcoin Legal Tender
Jun 9, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
First Country Makes Bitcoin Legal Tender
'Nobody can refuse payment,' says El Salvador President Nayib Bukele
- El Salvador’s Legislative Assembly has approved legislation making the cryptocurrency Bitcoin legal tender in the country, the first country to do so, just days after President Nayib Bukele made the proposal at a Bitcoin conference. The digital currency can be used in any transaction and any business will have...
a Decade After
Being Jailed for
Jun 9, 2021 3:01 AM CDT
Woman Freed a Decade After Being Jailed for Pregnancy Loss
She had been sentenced to 30 years under El Salvador's abortion ban
- One of the many , many women jailed under El Salvador's harsh abortion ban was released Monday after serving nearly a decade of a 30-year sentence. Sara Rogel went to a hospital in 2012 with bleeding injuries from a fall, and was arrested after it was determined she had lost...
14 Bodies Found at Home
of Cop Fired in 2005
May 21, 2021 6:40 AM CDT
14 Bodies Found at Home of Cop Fired in 2005
Officials in El Salvador says case has turned up a murder ring
- Fourteen bodies have now been found at the home of a former police officer who was arrested this month for murdering two women, Salvadoran prosecutors said Thursday. Authorities in El Salvador have said the case revealed the existence of a murder ring that may have operated for a decade, and...
Mar 22, 2021 12:04 AM CDT
Olympic Surfing Hopeful Fatally Struck by Lightning
Katherine Diaz planned to compete for El Salvador this summer
- Katherine Diaz planned to compete for her home country of El Salvador when surfing makes its Olympic debut this summer. But the 22-year-old, the country's top surfer, was struck by lightning and killed Friday while training near her home in El Tunco, the
reports. Per a Spanish-language newspaper,...
Salvadoran President Says
'Most Leaders' Take Drug
May 28, 2020 8:38 AM CDT
Salvadoran President Says 'Most Leaders' Take Drug
'We have been advised to take' hydroxychloroquine, Nayib Bukele says
- El Salvador's president says he's taking hydroxychloroquine—and says most of the world's other leaders are doing the same. "I use it as a prophylaxis. President Trump uses it as a prophylaxis. Most of the world's leaders use it as a prophylaxis," Nayib Bukele...
The US Deported Them.
138 Are Now Dead
Feb 5, 2020 7:11 AM CST
The US Deported Them. 138 Are Now Dead
Human Rights Watch documents cases of murdered Salvadorans
- The report is called "Deported to Danger," and for at least 138 Salvadorans, danger is putting it too mildly. In its report released Wednesday, Human Rights Watch says that's the number of migrants and asylum seekers that were murdered after the US deported them back to El...
Sep 27, 2019 3:55 PM CDT
Selfie Holds Up UN Speech
Salvadoran president talks technology after a demonstration
- For the 38-year-old president of El Salvador, his first speech to the UN was a big deal. Nayib Bukele's wife, Gabriela, was there to hear it, as was their infant daughter, Layla. So Bukele pulled out his smartphone, asked the world's diplomats to hold on for a second,...
Trump Pact With Honduras
'Seals Off' Central America
Sep 26, 2019 5:18 AM CDT
Trump Pact With Honduras 'Seals Off' Central America
Administration signs deal to send asylum seekers to country
- The Trump administration signed a deal Wednesday with a third Central American country that would effectively seal off the region, preventing asylum-seekers traveling through from entering the United States, the AP reports. The latest agreement, signed on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, paves the way to send asylum-seekers...
Retrial Clears Rape Victim
Convicted After Stillbirth
Aug 19, 2019 5:51 PM CDT
Retrial Clears Rape Victim Convicted After Stillbirth
Evelyn Hernandez was given 30 years in abortion prosecution
- A retrial in El Salvador has cleared a rape victim whose baby was found dead in a toilet. Evelyn Hernandez had been sentenced to 30 years in prison in 2017, the BBC reports. She has said that she didn't realize she was pregnant and that she'd fainted in...
Gauge of a 'Political Mood':
a Teen Rape Victim's Retrial
Jul 11, 2019 8:25 AM CDT
Gauge of a 'Political Mood': a Teen Rape Victim's Retrial
Evelyn Hernandez, jailed in El Salvador after a stillbirth, will get a new day in court
- A teen rape victim in El Salvador convicted in 2017 of murder and sentenced to 30 years in jail after a stillbirth will face a new day in court Monday. Reuters reports Evelyn Beatriz Hernandez, now 21, will be retried, and this time advocates are hoping she'll be acquitted....
He Just Took
Jul 1, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
The Photo Rocked Us. He Just Took Responsibility
President Nayib Bukele says migrants' deaths in Rio Grande is on El Salvador
- Oscar Martinez and his 23-month-old daughter drowned in the Rio Grande while trying to reach the US. Now, a country's leader has taken the blame for the incident, a photograph of which was shared far and wide . The president of El Salvador on Sunday said the fault lies with...
Woman Jailed After Bathroom
Birth Is Freed 18 Months Later
Dec 18, 2018 12:27 PM CST
Woman Jailed After Bathroom Birth Is Freed 18 Months Later
Dismissal of charges against El Salvador's Imelda Cortez hailed as a landmark moment
- El Salvador's Imelda Cortez is out of prison for the first time in more than a year and a half, and her freedom is being hailed as a potential landmark moment for women's rights in her country, reports AFP . Cortez's plight had drawn international attention : The 20-year-old...
Who Gave Birth Now
Faces Prison Time
Nov 12, 2018 11:32 AM CST
Rape Victim Who Gave Birth Now Faces Prison Time
Imelda Cortez is accused of trying to have an abortion in strict no-abortion El Salvador
- A young woman in El Salvador was sexually abused by her stepfather since the age of 12, impregnated by him at age 18, and now has a 2-year-old daughter by him. But adding to the horror of her experience, Imelda Cortez, now 20, is the one facing up to 20...
There Might Soon Be
3 US-Bound Caravans
Oct 24, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
There Might Soon Be 3 US-Bound Caravans
Group plans to leave El Salvador next week, as Honduran stragglers move north
- If the Honduran migrant caravan making its way toward to the US southern border is "the gift that keeps on giving for Donald Trump's midterm elections," as the
suggests, then a second caravan forming in El Salvador may be the bow on top. An internal report...
Trump Calls Migrant Caravan
a National Emergency
Oct 22, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Trump Calls Migrant Caravan a National Emergency
Thousands of Central Americans marching north are now in Mexico
- The size of a migrant caravan marching north toward the US border is increasing in size even as President Trump escalates his rhetoric. In a series of tweets Monday, Trump called the caravan a national emergency, blamed Democrats for weak immigration laws, asserted that "criminals and unknown Middle Easterners"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
18-Year-Old Topples Track Record From 1965
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.