Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 5, 2020 1:28 PM CDT
New Risk Factor for COVID-19: Baldness?
Researcher says baldness is 'perfect predictor of severity'
- Research already has suggested that men face a greater risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19. Now, scientists say male pattern baldness might actually be a risk factor, reports the
. "We really think that baldness is a perfect predictor of severity," says Brown University's Carlos...
Bald Men in
Jun 7, 2017 1:19 PM CDT
Police Issue Warning to Bald Men in African Nation
They may be targeted for ritual attacks in Mozambique
- Police have issued a warning to bald men in Mozambique: They could be targeted for ritual attacks. Five men were recently murdered for their body parts, the BBC reports. "The belief is that the head of a bald man contains gold," a police commander explains. "[Suspects']...
We're One Step
Closer to Test
Feb 15, 2017 7:47 PM CST
We're One Step Closer to Test Predicting Baldness
Researchers indentify 287 genes linked to hair loss
- Guys, if you've ever wished you could look into a crystal ball and see if hair plugs are in your future, scientists have good news. Using data from 53,000 men in the UK, they've come up with a DNA-based algorithm that could someday predict whether one is...
Rogaine Thief Couldn't Beat the
Rap—or Male Pattern Baldness
Dec 8, 2016 5:34 PM CST
Rogaine Thief Couldn't Beat the Rap—or Male Pattern Baldness
Florida's 'Balding Bandit' wasn't stealing it for his own use ... obviously
- A 36-year-old Florida man pleaded guilty Tuesday to stealing Rogaine from drug stores all over Ohio, but he apparently wasn't taking it for his own use, the
Palm Beach Post
reports. Dubbed the "Balding Bandit,"* authorities say Andres Arias would fly from Florida to Ohio, rent...
Nov 3, 2016 1:44 PM CDT
$26.3M Settlement Possible in Hair Product Lawsuit
Those who suffered extreme reactions to Wen by Chaz Dean products could get up to $20K
- A $26.3 million settlement has been given the preliminary green light in a class-action lawsuit by more than 200 women over what they say are damaging hair-care products—meaning around 6 million people may soon be richer for their tress troubles. An LA federal judge gave an initial OK...
Joe Buck Nearly Let Vanity,
Hair Plugs Ruin Career
Oct 6, 2016 4:04 PM CDT
Joe Buck Nearly Let Vanity, Hair Plugs Ruin Career
Sportscaster woke up from 8th procedure without a voice
- Sportscaster Joe Buck nearly lost his career because, in his own words, he was "a hair-plug addict." He tells
he was "consumed" by the threat of losing his hair. "I would tell myself I needed to look younger, I needed to have thicker hair,...
Is Dry Shampoo
Really Making Its
Jul 10, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Is Dry Shampoo Really Making Its Devotees Bald?
One woman says the product is too good to be true
- In an effort to save time and, in all honesty, catch an extra 15 minutes of sleep in the morning, Olga Khazan of the
writes about her recent obsession with dry shampoo—she'd spray it, shake her hair around, and everything would look less oily and smell almost...
Feb 26, 2016 2:22 PM CST
Bald Man Sought in Rogaine Thefts
He's also allegedly stealing 'brain health supplements'
- Bringing new meaning to the phrase "nothing left to lose," a bald man has apparently turned to a life of crime, allegedly stealing Rogaine from multiple stores in Ohio and Kentucky, the Smoking Gun reports. He's suspected of taking $847 worth of Rogaine and "brain health...
A Solution for Baldness:
Apr 10, 2015 8:36 AM CDT
A Solution for Baldness: Precise Plucking?
Findings point to communication among hair follicles
- Hope for bald men? Perhaps. A study suggests that plucking out one's hair could actually trigger the growth of even more. But before anyone starts tearing at his scalp, know that the plucking process has to be done in a specific way—and has thus far only been tested...
Arthritis Drug Makes
Hairless Man Very Hairy
in case you missed it
Jun 22, 2014 7:00 PM CDT
Arthritis Drug Makes Hairless Man Very Hairy
25-year-old grew full head of hair, plus everything from eyebrows to armpit hair
- It turns out an FDA-approved rheumatoid arthritis drug might just cure baldness—at least the form caused by a rare immune disease. During an eight-month trial of the drug, a 25-year-old man whose body was nearly hairless grew, well, a lot of it, including plenty atop his head, armpit hair,...
Big News for
Oct 22, 2013 6:00 AM CDT
Breakthrough Is Big News for the Bald
But chance of new follicles still years away
- Some extremely unimpressive hairs sprouting from the back of a mouse represent one of the biggest advances against baldness in years, NPR finds. The experiment, which involved grafting human skin onto the animal, was the first time scientists have ever been able to get skin from our species to produce...
Apr 4, 2013 6:49 PM CDT
Bald Men Have Higher Heart Risks
Study sees link in guys who have lost hair at the crown
- Bald men seem to be at higher risk of heart disease, say Japanese researchers after poring over old studies. Their finding applies only to those who have lost hair on top, at the crown, as opposed to those with receding hairlines, reports Bloomberg . The greater the baldness, the greater the...
Sep 11, 2012 6:11 PM CDT
Researchers Inch Toward Baldness Cure
Research centers on vitamin D, but remedies are years away
- Treatments like Rogaine work best for those trying to stop further hair loss—but what about people who are already bald? Researchers worldwide are inching closer to treatments that could restore hair growth, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The market is huge, with 35 million men suffering from male-pattern baldness...
Pushes for ...
Aug 20, 2012 11:09 AM CDT
Vatican Pushes for ... Bald Barbie?
She could help rehab doll's image, Vatican newspaper notes
- Forget any number of controversial stances the Vatican has taken, it's now weighing in on ... Barbie dolls. Following a Facebook campaign earlier this year, Mattel decided to launch a bald friend of Barbie in a nod to sick kids who've lost their hair and donate the dolls to...
Apr 18, 2012 5:05 PM CDT
Scientists Grow Human Hair on Mouse
But tests on humans are probably a decade away
- Bald people may have new hope for getting back those flowing locks. Japanese scientists have regenerated hair growth on bald mice, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The researchers injected the follicle cells of a hairy mouse into the follicles of a bald mouse, and within three weeks, 74% of the...
Barbie Will Get
Mar 30, 2012 3:33 PM CDT
Barbie Will Get Bald Friend
Mattel will produce hairless doll for sick children
- Barbie-maker Mattel is creating a special doll for children who have lost their hair to illness. The new doll will be bald and a friend of Barbie, and she'll come with fashion accessories including hats, scarves, and wigs. Earlier this year, a Facebook campaign that garnered 150,000 "...
Find a Clue
Mar 22, 2012 3:57 PM CDT
Researchers Find a Clue to Baldness
Could pave way to new hair growth treatments
- Researchers have tracked down a protein that appears to be a culprit in male baldness—thus identifying what they call a "target" for new treatments. University of Pennsylvania scientists found that the protein's levels are boosted in bald areas of the scalp. When they bred mice with high...
Apr 29, 2011 1:38 PM CDT
'Balders' Demand Trump's Hair Certificate
Vanity Fair issues the Donald a challenge
- The president’s done his part; now it’s Donald Trump’s turn to show us some proof—of the authenticity of his hair. “Balders,”
explains in a challenge to the real estate mogul, are “a small but increasingly vocal group of conspiracy theorists” who’...
for Bald Men:
Hair or Sex?
Mar 27, 2011 5:56 PM CDT
Tough Choice for Bald Men: Hair or Sex?
Those taking finasteride likely to experience long-lasting effects
- Tough news for the follicly challenged: Balding men taking finasteride, Merck's prescription drug that goes by the names Propecia and Proscar, may find they have trouble in bed—for a long while. Though the drug's label warns of "reversible" symptoms of sexual dysfunction, a small survey of 76 men...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 20, 2011 1:18 PM CST
Baldness Cure Discovered by Accident?
Single jab reversed hair loss in lab mice
- Researchers studying stress hormones were surprised to stumble upon what appears to be a cure for baldness—at least in mice. Mice who had gone bald due to overproduction of a stress hormone were treated with a compound that blocks stress in the gut and then returned to cages where...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
Best TV Shows of All Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.