Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Strait of Hormuz
Stories 1 - 20 |
Warning Shots at
Speedboats From Iran
May 11, 2021 12:42 AM CDT
US Fires Warning Shots at Speedboats From Iran
13 Revolutionary Guard speedboats appear to harass US Navy vessels
- A group of 13 armed speedboats of Iran's Revolutionary Guard made “unsafe and unprofessional” high-speed maneuvers toward US Navy vessels in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, and a US Coast Guard cutter fired warning shots when two of the Iranian boats came dangerously close, US officials said....
Iran: Friendly Fire
From Own Ship
Kills 19 on Another
May 11, 2020 6:32 AM CDT
Iran: Friendly Fire From Own Ship Kills 19 on Another
Konarak support ship reportedly didn't move far enough away from target it placed in Gulf of Oman
- A logistical support vessel for the Iranian navy was struck over the weekend by "friendly fire," resulting in the deaths of 19 sailors and the injuries of at least 15 others. The incident happened Sunday evening in the Gulf of Oman, "causing the martyrdom of a number...
Hear the Iranians
Seize the British Tanker
Jul 21, 2019 7:51 AM CDT
Hear the Iranians Seize the British Tanker
'If you obey, you will be safe,' commandos say as UK Navy tried in vain to ward them off
- In an audio recording released Sunday, the AP reports that a British naval officer can be heard saying the transit of a British-flagged vessel through the Strait of Hormuz must not be impaired under international law as Iranian naval forces warn the vessel to change course. The audio, released by...
Britain Warns of 'Robust'
Response to Iran
Jul 20, 2019 8:01 AM CDT
Britain Warns of 'Robust' Response to Iran
The UK wants its seized tanker back
- Iran's seizure of a British oil tanker appears to be a tit-for-tat response to the seizure of an Iranian tanker earlier this month. Still, the British foreign secretary warned Saturday that Iran is on a "dangerous path of illegal and destabilizing behavior," reports the
. Jeremy Hunt...
Iran Seizes 2 Vessels
Amid Rising Tensions
Jul 19, 2019 5:18 PM CDT
Iran Seizes 2 Vessels Amid Rising Tensions
One is British-flagged, the other Liberian-flagged
- British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said two vessels have been seized by Iranian authorities in the Strait of Hormuz, per the AP . Hunt said Friday he will attend an emergency government session to see what can be done to secure their release. One is a British-flagged vessel and the other...
Iran: 'We Haven't Lost a Drone'
Jul 19, 2019 3:24 AM CDT
Iran: 'We Haven't Lost a Drone'
Tehran denies there was confrontation with US vessel
- Iran on Friday denied President Trump's statement that a US warship destroyed an Iranian drone near the Persian Gulf after it threatened the ship—an incident that marked a new escalation of tensions between the countries less than a month after Iran downed an American drone in the same...
Trump: US Warship
Destroyed Iranian Drone
Jul 18, 2019 2:51 PM CDT
Trump: US Warship Destroyed Iranian Drone
He's calling on other countries to condemn Iran
- President Trump says a US warship destroyed an Iranian drone in the Strait of Hormuz amid heightened tensions between the two countries, the AP reports. Trump says it's the latest "hostile" action by Iran. He's calling on other countries to condemn what he says are Iran's...
Iran Ratchets Up Tensions
With Tanker Seizure
Jul 18, 2019 7:09 AM CDT
Iran Ratchets Up Tensions With Tanker Seizure
Revolutionary Guard captured foreign oil vessel with 12 crew members
- More tensions involving Iran and oil tankers : The nation's Revolutionary Guard forces have seized a foreign oil tanker accused of smuggling oil with a crew of 12, state TV reported Thursday, per the AP . Iran did not identify the tanker or its home nation, but the development comes just...
UK Says Iranian Vessels
Tried to Block Oil Tanker
Jul 11, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
UK Says Iranian Vessels Tried to Block Oil Tanker
Royal Navy vessel intervened, government say
- The British navy says it prevented three Iranian paramilitary vessels from impeding the passage of a British oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz early Thursday, a day after Iran's president warned of repercussions for the seizure of its own supertanker. Iran's Revolutionary Guard denied the allegations, saying...
'Planes Were in the Air'
When Iran Strike Called Off
Jun 21, 2019 6:55 AM CDT
'Planes Were in the Air' When Iran Strike Called Off
Schumer warns US could be 'bumbling into war'
- A US strike on Iran in retaliation for the downing of a US drone was reportedly abruptly called off Thursday night—but it was a plan firmly in motion at the time, according to the
New York Times .
Senior administration officials tell the
that "planes were in the...
Trump on Drone: 'I Find It Hard
to Believe It Was Intentional'
Jun 20, 2019 1:57 PM CDT
Trump on Drone: 'I Find It Hard to Believe It Was Intentional'
President says a rogue commander is likely to blame, rather than top leaders
- Another day, another ratcheting up of the tension between the US and Iran. What's not in dispute is that Iran shot down an unmanned American drone over the Strait of Hormuz. Both sides disagree on a crucial point, however: Iran says the drone was over Iranian territory, while the...
US Sailors Used Crowbar to
Get This Magnet Off Tanker
Jun 19, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
US Sailors Used Crowbar to Get This Magnet Off Tanker
They say limpet mines used in tanker attack resemble mines displayed by Iran
- The limpet mines used to attack a Japanese-owned oil tanker near the Strait of Hormuz last week bore "a striking resemblance" to similar mines displayed by Iran, a US Navy explosives expert said Wednesday, stopping short of directly blaming Tehran for the assault. The comments by Cmdr. Sean Kido...
Oil Tanker Owner:
It Didn't Happen That Way
Jun 15, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Oil Tanker Owner: It Didn't Happen That Way
Owner of the Kokuka Courageous is deeply skeptical that mines were involved
- The owner of an oil tanker attacked near the Strait of Hormuz is pushing back against the US version of events, NBC News reports. The president of the company that owns the Kokuka Courageous, one of two tankers targeted Thursday in a politically charged incident, says the Japanese vessel was...
US Says Video Shows Iranians
Removing Mine From Tanker
Jun 14, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
US Says Video Shows Iranians Removing Mine From Tanker
Tehran accuses US of 'Iranophobic' campaign
- The US says Iran was behind attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman Thursday—and it has proof to back up the claim. A video released by the US military's Central Command late Thursday shows what American officials say was an Iranian Revolutionary Guard boat removing...
Report: 2 Oil Tankers
Attacked in Gulf of Oman
Jun 13, 2019 5:08 AM CDT
Report: 2 Oil Tankers Attacked in Gulf of Oman
US Navy assists damaged vessels
- Two oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz were reportedly attacked on Thursday, an assault that left one ablaze and adrift as sailors were evacuated from both vessels and the US Navy rushed to assist amid heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran. Japan's Trade Ministry said the two...
Iran Begins 1st Major Military
Drill Since Trump Inauguration
Feb 26, 2017 1:32 PM CST
Iran Begins 1st Major Military Drill Since Trump Inauguration
Annual navy drill begins in Strait of Hormuz
- Iran's navy began an annual drill Sunday near the strategic Strait of Hormuz, its first major exercise since the inauguration of US President Donald Trump, state television reported. The TV report quoted navy chief Adm. Habibollah Sayyari as saying the two-day maneuver will cover an area of 772,000...
Aug 25, 2016 8:29 AM CDT
Iranian Boats ‘Harass’ US Warship
Revolutionary Guard vessels forced USS Nitze to change course, official says
- Four Iranian boats “harassed” a US Navy warship near the Persian Gulf, ignoring orders to back off, Reuters reports. A defense official said two of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard vessels came within 300 yards of the guided missile destroyer USS Nitze on Wednesday at a high rate of speed—...
US: Iran Fired
Dec 30, 2015 10:36 AM CST
US: Iran Fired Rockets Near Our Warships
Pentagon calls exercise in Strait of Hormuz 'highly provocative'
- The US is accusing Iran of "highly provocative" actions near the Persian Gulf—with live missiles. Officials say Iranian Revolutionary Guard vessels conducted a live fire exercise in the narrow Strait of Hormuz "in close proximity" to US ships over the weekend. As first reported by NBC News...
Iran Releases Seized Ship
May 7, 2015 3:03 AM CDT
Iran Releases Seized Ship
MV Maersk Tigris was captured over alleged court ruling
- Iran released a Marshall Islands-flagged cargo ship today, Tehran's official IRNA news agency reported. The agency cited a source inside the Iranian Ports and Maritime Organization, saying that the organization will issue a statement later in the day with details of the ship's release. Iranian forces seized the...
Navy Vessels to Accompany
US Ships in Gulf
Apr 30, 2015 4:33 PM CDT
Navy Vessels to Accompany US Ships in Gulf
Move follows aggressive action by Iran
- Navy ships will begin accompanying US commercial ships during their transit through the Strait of Hormuz at the mouth of the Persian Gulf to ensure they encounter no interference from Iran. The new policy, which has not yet officially been announced, was adopted in response to what Washington views as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.