Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Picasso Painted His Lover as a
Sea Creature. Now, a Big Sale
May 18, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Picasso Painted His Lover as a Sea Creature. Now, a Big Sale
The painting fetched $67.5M
- Being depicted as a tentacled sea creature by your lover may not sound like the highest compliment. But when that lover is Pablo Picasso, well ... it's a whole other story.
Femme nue Couchée
, a painting that imagines Marie-Thérèse Walter as a five-limbed sea creature, sold for...
Missing Picasso Spotted
on Imelda Marcos' Wall
May 16, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Missing Picasso Spotted on Imelda Marcos' Wall
Anti-corruption officials attempted to seize it in the past
- It’s doubtful anyone was surprised, but the appearance of a long-missing Picasso painting in footage from a recent Marcos family gathering certainly raised some eyebrows, particularly those of Ruben Carranza, who served on the Presidential Commission on Good Government, according to the
The PCGG was established in 1986...
$40M Sale Tops
Oct 24, 2021 12:10 PM CDT
$40M Sale Tops Picasso Auction
The 11 artworks had been displayed at the Bellagio in Las Vegas
- Eleven Pablo Picasso artworks have been sold for a combined $109 million in a Las Vegas auction coinciding with the artist's 140th birthday. The nine paintings and two ceramic pieces had been displayed inside the Picasso restaurant at the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art for more than two decades...
Suspected Picasso Thief
Isn't Who Police Expected
Jun 30, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Suspected Picasso Thief Isn't Who Police Expected
He's reportedly not a member of a sophisticated gang but just someone who loves art
- On Tuesday Greece heralded the discovery of a precious Picasso painting that had been stolen from the National Gallery in Athens in 2012. The
reports that the man suspected of taking "Head of a Woman," along with a work by Piet Mondrian, isn't who police expected....
Stolen Picasso Painting With
Huge Sentimental Value Found
Jun 29, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Stolen Picasso Painting With Huge Sentimental Value Found
Artist intended for the Greek people to have it in recognition of their Nazi resistance
- A Picasso painting that was stolen in January 2012 and has particular meaning to the Greek people has been recovered. The BBC reports the artist himself gave "Head of a Woman" to Greece in 1949 in honor of the country's resistance to the Nazis. Culture Minister Lina Mendoni...
She Got a Raffle Ticket as
a Gift, Now Owns a Picasso
May 21, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
She Got a Raffle Ticket as a Gift, Now Owns a Picasso
Italian woman wins $1.1M painting in charity raffle
- An Italian woman is the new owner of a century-old painting by Pablo Picasso, worth $1.1 million—but she didn't buy it. The unidentified woman won 1921's "Nature Morte"—a small oil painting depicting a glass of absinthe and a newspaper on a table—in...
$26M Picasso Torn
in Museum Attack
Dec 31, 2019 10:35 AM CST
$26M Picasso Torn in Museum Attack
20-year-old London man is charged
- A 20-year-old is facing charges after he allegedly attacked a Picasso painting hanging on the wall of London's Tate Modern. Picasso's
Bust of a Woman
, valued at $26.5 million, is being assessed for damage after it was reportedly ripped on Saturday, per the BBC . A museum spokesperson...
They Say Picasso Gave Them
Art. French High Court Says No
Nov 20, 2019 7:42 AM CST
They Say Picasso Gave Them Art. French High Court Says No
Sentence upheld for artist's ex-electrician and his wife over 271 pieces of hoarded art
- For 40 years, the guy who once installed burglar alarms for Pablo Picasso kept hundreds of the artist's pieces in his garage, claiming Picasso had given them to him and his wife. Now, per AFP , a French high court has upheld a sentence of two-year suspended prison terms for...
Another Big Find for the
'Indiana Jones of the Art World'
Mar 27, 2019 2:21 PM CDT
Another Big Find for the 'Indiana Jones of the Art World'
Arthur Brand tracked down Picasso's 'Buste de Femme (Dora Maar)'
- It sounds like the plot of a Hollywood movie, so it's only fitting the mystery was solved by a man who's been given a Hollywood-like nickname: "the Indiana Jones of the art world." That would be Arthur Brand, the man who managed to track down a...
Yet Another Odd Twist in
the Case of a Stolen Picasso
Nov 19, 2018 7:19 AM CST
Yet Another Odd Twist in the Case of a Stolen Picasso
Writer thought she had been led to the painting. Apparently not
- For a brief moment, there was hope that a lost Picasso—one of seven artworks stolen from the Kunsthal Museum in Rotterdam, Netherlands, in 2012—had been found. Instead, it was seemingly another odd twist in an odd story. Mira Feticu, an author who penned a novel inspired by the...
Over Damaged Picasso
May 17, 2018 1:35 PM CDT
Steve Wynn 'Incandescent' Over Damaged Picasso
And he thinks Christie's auction house undervalued the masterpiece
- Steve Wynn is not happy with Christie's after the auction house damaged his Picasso masterpiece , sources tell Page Six , which describes Wynn's state of mind as "furious" and "incandescent." Christie's was preparing to exhibit the 1943 self-portrait
in advance of the auction...
$70M Picasso Damaged
May 14, 2018 9:39 AM CDT
$70M Picasso Damaged Before Auction
Owner Steve Wynn has been down this road before
- Pricey mistake: A Picasso worth an estimated $70 million had to be yanked from an auction at Christie's this week because it sustained damage as workers were preparing it. It's not clear how bad the damage is to
, or even how the damage...
May 13, 2018 6:12 AM CDT
Rockefeller Art Auction Went Crazy
22 world records set at sale of David and Peggy Rockefeller's art holdings
- Twenty-two world records have been set at a Christie's auction, including the $832 million total for the priciest private collection of artworks and other treasures, owned by Peggy and David Rockefeller . The late couple's family is donating all proceeds from this week's sale to charity. The final...
Government Seized Shkreli's
Nazi Code Machine
Jan 14, 2018 1:10 PM CST
Government Seized Shkreli's Nazi Code Machine
They also auctioned off letters from Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin
- Martin Shkreli owes New York hundreds of thousands of dollars, and to get it back the state's tax office has been seizing and selling some of the most prized possessions of the so-called "pharma bro." On Friday, state tax officials told CNBC they had already auctioned off...
Have to Return
Jun 16, 2017 6:53 AM CDT
DiCaprio May Have to Return Millions in Artwork
Feds are seizing assets related to Malaysian corruption
- The feds are in the midst of a complex money-laundering investigation tied to Malaysian financiers, but it's got some easy-to-understand ramifications: Leonardo DiCaprio has to return a Picasso and an old Oscar that once belonged to Marlon Brando. As Reuters reports, DiCaprio himself is not charged with any wrongdoing,...
Guy Says He Threw
$100M Worth of
Stolen Art Away
Jan 31, 2017 8:47 AM CST
Guy Says He Threw $100M Worth of Stolen Art Away
But no one's really buying Yonathan Birn's story
- A co-defendant in one of the world's biggest art heists testified in court Monday he destroyed and threw away five art masterpieces worth more than $100 million that were stolen by a thief nicknamed "the spider-man" by French media. Yonathan Birn, accused of receiving stolen goods, was among...
Met Museum Sued for
'Tainted' $100M Picasso
Oct 1, 2016 7:58 AM CDT
Met Museum Sued for 'Tainted' $100M Picasso
It was sold by Jewish couple fleeing Nazis
- A woman who says her relatives had no choice but to sell a Picasso when fleeing the Nazis in 1938 wants New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art to hand over the painting—or pay more than $100 million in damages. Laurel Zuckerman is the great-grandniece of German Jewish businessman...
Cards Against Humanity Might Shred This Picasso
Dec 23, 2015 12:17 PM CST
Cards Against Humanity Might Shred This Picasso
150K subscribers will vote to donate or destroy
- Should Pablo Picasso's "Tete de Faune" be donated to a museum or cut up into tiny pieces? The decision rests with fans of Cards Against Humanity—the game that's managed to get people to spend their hard-earned cash on poop and, well, nothing at all . With some...
$15M Picasso Sent
as $37 Xmas Gift
Sep 24, 2015 1:44 PM CDT
$15M Picasso Sent as $37 Xmas Gift Returns Home
1911 painting was stolen more than 10 years ago from French storage room
- A $15 million Pablo Picasso painting is back on display in a Paris museum after a long and unusual journey.
) disappeared from a French storage room more than a decade ago, then turned up in a package from Belgium to New York last year—with a...
Missing for 14 Years,
a $15M Picasso
Aug 14, 2015 6:00 AM CDT
Missing for 14 Years, a $15M Picasso Returns Home
La Coiffeuse will be given the French government after its discovery in NY
- A stolen painting by Pablo Picasso is back in the hands of the French government 14 years after it vanished from a Paris museum. The 1911 work
La Coiffeuse (The Hairdresser)
was discovered in December in a FedEx package sent to New York from Belgium. Though the package said it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.