Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Clinches Win for Miss America
Dec 20, 2019 2:53 AM CST
Science Demonstration Clinches Win for Miss America
'Miss America is someone who needs to educate'
- The new Miss America is the fourth Miss Virginia to wear the crown—and the first candidate to perform a science demonstration in front of judges. "Miss America is someone who needs to educate," 24-year-old biochemist Camille Schrier told the judges after a colorful demonstration of the catalytic...
A Big First in the
Beauty Pageant Arena
Dec 16, 2019 1:33 AM CST
A Big First in the Beauty Pageant Arena
After Miss Jamaica wins Miss World, black women now hold titles in all 5 major beauty pageants
- This year was "historic" in the beauty pageant world, per the
, capped off by a win by Miss Jamaica Toni-Ann Singh in the Miss World contest Saturday. What Singh's victory means beyond her own event is that, for the first time ever, the titles of all...
Beauty Queen Loses
Her Crown Over Tweets
Jul 20, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Beauty Queen Loses Her Crown Over Tweets
Kathy Zhu says she's 'seen this happen before'
- For one beauty queen, her tweets meant her crown. Kathy Zhu, 20, has been told she's no longer Miss Michigan 2019 because her "social media accounts contain offensive, insensitive and inappropriate content." Zhu blames her remarks about hijabs and black violence for the uncrowning: "I have...
Jun 5, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Another Shake-Up at Miss America
Gretchen Carlson stepping down as board chairwoman
- Pageant officials got their wish : Gretchen Carlson is stepping down as board chairwoman of the Miss America Organization after more than a year , reports the AP . The former Fox News host and former Miss America says in a statement Wednesday that she has helped make the organization more relevant. She'...
3 Top Pageant
May 4, 2019 2:40 PM CDT
3 Top Pageant Winners Have Something in Common
Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, Miss America are all black
- When Cheslie Kryst won the Miss USA crown , it marked more than a personal triumph: It meant that for the first time, three black women are the reigning Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, and Miss America, the AP reports. The North Carolina lawyer completed the historic triple Thursday with pageant...
Miss America's Purge
of State Leaders Widens
Dec 6, 2018 1:30 AM CST
Miss America's Purge of State Leaders Widens
The move stems from a summer revolt against pageant head Gretchen Carlson
- The Miss America Organization has widened its purge of state officials who have opposed the national leadership, terminating the licenses of New Jersey, New York and Florida. So far, eight states could have their pageant leadership replaced. The AP obtained revocation letters from two of the states and confirmed with...
The States Revolted, and
Miss America Punished Them
Oct 9, 2018 2:39 PM CDT
The States Revolted, and Miss America Punished Them
Licenses are terminated following calls for Gretchen Carlson's resignation
- Cross Gretchen Carlson and Regina Hopper at your peril, apparently. As individual states called for the two leaders of the Miss America Organization to step down in advance of last month's pageant , little was said by the women, who act as the chairwoman and CEO, respectively. Now, action: Four...
New Miss America Glad
Swimsuit Contest Is Gone
Sep 10, 2018 1:07 AM CDT
New Miss America Glad Swimsuit Contest Is Gone
'I'm more than just that,' says Nia Franklin
- The first woman to win the Miss America crown without having to don a swimsuit says she's glad she didn't have to. Nia Imani Franklin, who won the title Sunday night in Atlantic City while competing as Miss New York, says the changes in the 98-year-old pageant are...
Pageant Officials in 46 States
Want Gretchen Carlson Out
Sep 5, 2018 7:57 AM CDT
Pageant Officials in 46 States Want Gretchen Carlson Out
Revolt brews as Miss America pageant begins
- The post-swimsuit era for the Miss America pageant begins Wednesday night. It does so amid a revolt by state pageant officials unhappy with the way the decision to drop swimsuits was made, and who are demanding that top leadership, including chairwoman Gretchen Carlson, step down. The current Miss America, Cara...
Miss America: This Is
How Bad the Bullying Got
Aug 25, 2018 2:05 PM CDT
Miss America: This Is How Bad the Bullying Got
Cara Mund details her accusations as a former Miss Denver takes her side
- "The treatment just kept getting worse and I kept thinking to myself, 'Is it my fault?'" That's Miss America Cara Mund talking about the alleged mistreatment she endured at the hands of two top officials at the pageant organization, per the
. Alleged bully...
Letter Cost Us $75K
Aug 20, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
Gretchen Carlson: Miss America's Letter Cost Us $75K
Scholarship money was lost, though Carlson doesn't specify how
- Miss America Chairwoman Gretchen Carlson has struck back against the reigning Miss America, saying Cara Mund's allegations that Carlson and others have bullied and silenced her have led to the loss of $75,000 in scholarship money for this year's contestants. In a Twitter post Sunday night, the...
Miss America Has Harsh
Words for Gretchen Carlson
Aug 18, 2018 5:00 AM CDT
Miss America Has Harsh Words for Gretchen Carlson
Cara Mund claims Carlson, CEO Regina Hopper silenced and bullied her
- Gretchen Carlson was installed as chair of the Miss America Organization's board of directors earlier this year in the wake of a scandal that forced out the organization's CEO and other executives after "unacceptable" emails were revealed about past winners. Now, drama of her own for Carlson...
Gives Up Crown
Jul 9, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Beauty Queen, 'Betrayed' by #MeToo Joke, Gives Up Crown
'I will stand up for every individual who has ever had the courage to speak out'
- Maude Gorman, who was competing as Miss Plymouth County 2018, was backstage at the Miss Massachusetts pageant earlier this month when the joke was made: As a woman pretended to pray onstage as part of a comedy sketch, telling God she wanted to understand why the Miss America pageant did...
Amid #MeToo, a 'Whole
New Era' for Miss America
Jun 5, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
Amid #MeToo, a 'Whole New Era' for Miss America
- Say goodbye to the swimsuit portion of the 97-year-old Miss America competition, now under female leadership . "We will no longer judge our candidates on their outward physical appearance … and that means we will no longer have a swimsuit competition," Gretchen Carlson, Miss America 1989 and the new...
In a First for Miss America,
All Top Spots Held by Women
May 17, 2018 1:58 PM CDT
In a First for Miss America, All Top Spots Held by Women
Women hold the top 3 leadership positions after email scandal
- The Miss America Organization is putting women in its three top leadership positions following an email scandal in which male officials were caught making vulgar and insulting comments about past winners of the beauty pageant. The organization tells the AP it is appointing Regina Hopper as president and CEO of...
New Head of Miss America
Board: Gretchen Carlson
Jan 1, 2018 5:00 PM CST
New Head of Miss America Board: Gretchen Carlson
She'll be first former pageant winner to serve as group's leader
- New developments in the Miss America scandal that forced out the organization's CEO and other executives after "unacceptable" emails were revealed about past winners. One of the most vocal critics of the pageant's leadership after the revelations was Gretchen Carlson, a past Miss America winner and former...
Dec 28, 2017 10:04 AM CST
Former Miss America: Board's Offer 'Insulting'
Mallory Hagan says entire panel should quit over email scandal
- A former Miss America whose appearance and sex life was ridiculed in emails sent by officials of the Miss America Organization says the group's request to enlist former pageant winners in the search for new leaders is "laughable" and insulting. Mallory Hagan told the AP that the offer...
CEO, More Resign Amid
Ongoing Miss America Scandal
Dec 23, 2017 4:23 PM CST
CEO, More Resign Amid Ongoing Miss America Scandal
Pageant loses 4 leaders Saturday
- Miss America chairman and CEO Sam Haskell resigned Saturday—just a day after saying he wouldn't, the
New York Daily News
reports. He was joined by chairman Lynn Weidner, president and COO Josh Randle, and board member Tammy Haddad. The resignations of Miss America leadership come after HuffPo published...
Miss America CEO Out
After Vulgar Emails Leaked
Dec 23, 2017 7:17 AM CST
Miss America CEO Out After Vulgar Emails Leaked
Emails mocked past contestants' bodies, smarts, and sex lives
- The Miss America Organization (MAO) suspended CEO Sam Haskell Friday, one day after the HuffPost broke a story revealing three years of internal emails that have not made former pageant contestants happy. Provided by two unidentified sources, the internal documents between Haskell, board members, and others crudely referenced past winners’...
New Miss America Is
First Winner From Her State
Sep 11, 2017 1:46 AM CDT
New Miss America Is First Winner From Her State
Miss North Dakota doesn't like Trump's climate policy
- Miss North Dakota, a 23-year-old who says President Trump was wrong to pull the United States out of the Paris climate accord, was named Miss America 2018 on Sunday night in Atlantic City. Cara Mund topped a field of 51 contestants. In one of her onstage interviews, Mund said Trump...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.