Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
The Weeknd on
Grammys Changes ... Meh
May 4, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
The Weeknd on Grammys Changes ... Meh
Singer still won't be submitting his music
- After this year's controversial Grammy Awards , from which The Weeknd was completely shut out , the Grammys are making some changes—but it's too little, too late for the singer. "I remain uninterested in being a part of the Grammys, especially with their own admission of corruption for...
Has Now Been Fired
Mar 3, 2020 12:02 PM CST
Suspended Grammys CEO Has Now Been Fired
Deborah Dugan was the Recording Academy's first female CEO
- A month and a half after suspending its first female CEO , the Recording Academy has fired her. Deborah Dugan sued after her suspension, alleging that she had been targeted because she complained about a rigged nomination process and sexual harassment, among other problems , at the organization whose members vote for...
Ousted CEO Sues Grammys
Jan 22, 2020 6:59 AM CST
Ousted CEO Sues Grammys
Deborah Dugan describes harassment, conflicts of interest at Recording Academy
- Ousted days before the Grammys , former Recording Academy CEO Deborah Dugan is hitting back. In a 46-page complaint filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Dugan claims she was put on leave after complaining of "egregious" conflicts of interest; a "boys' club" mentality; and sexual harassment by the...
Just Days Before
the Big Show,
Jan 17, 2020 7:20 AM CST
Just Days Before the Big Show, Grammys Chief Is Suspended
Recording Academy CEO Deborah Dugan placed on leave amid allegations of misconduct
- In 2018, former Recording Academy chief Neil Portnow caught flak after he said women in the music industry needed to "step up" if they wanted to win Grammys. A woman took over his post last August—but now she, too, is making headlines for the wrong reasons. In a...
Ariana Grande Says Grammys
Producer Is Lying About Her
Feb 8, 2019 4:26 AM CST
Ariana Grande Says Grammys Producer Is Lying About Her
He claimed she won't be performing because she can't 'pull something together'
- Ariana Grande says she wasn't going to talk about why she isn't performing at the Grammy Awards on Sunday—until producer Ken Ehrlich started "lying" about it. In a tweet Thursday, the star slammed Ehrlich, who told the AP earlier in the day that there had been...
Dec 7, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Here Are Your Grammy Nominations
It's a woman-centric year, with the ladies heavily represented in the 4 big categories
- The music of
, with Kendrick Lamar in its starring role, officially owns the 2019 Grammy Awards. Also of note: Women are heavily represented in the major four categories. The Recording Academy announced Friday that Lamar is the top contender with eight nominations, including seven for his musical companion...
Exec's 'Spectacularly Wrong'
Remarks Spur Calls to Resign
Feb 2, 2018 8:53 AM CST
Exec's 'Spectacularly Wrong' Remarks Spur Calls to Resign
Female executives pen letter asking for Recording Academy President Neil Portnow to step down
- Pink told the president of the Recording Academy to step off earlier this week, and now nearly two dozen female executives in the record industry are telling Neil Portnow to step aside from his position. It all comes out of his remarks after the Grammys on Sunday, when he reacted...
After Exec Tells Women to 'Step
Up,' Pink Tells Him to Step Off
Jan 30, 2018 9:00 AM CST
After Exec Tells Women to 'Step Up,' Pink Tells Him to Step Off
Singer blasts Recording Academy President Neil Portnow in open letter on Twitter
- #GrammysSoMale? That was one hashtag that popped up after Sunday night's show , in which women seemed to get short shrift during the night's proceedings. Per the AP , Lorde, the only woman nominated for album of the year, didn't perform (but males who weren't nominees did); there...
Mourns Icon Houston
Feb 12, 2012 7:06 AM CST
Music Industry Mourns Icon Houston
Singers, critics, pros all call her one of greatest ever
- Tributes are pouring in for the career of the late Whitney Houston, after her shocking death yesterday, focusing on her uniquely powerful voice and incredible catalogue of hits. A sampling:
"At her peak, Houston was the golden girl of the music industry," praised
. "She wowed audiences
Grammys Don't Get Alternative
Feb 8, 2009 3:30 PM CST
Grammys Don't Get Alternative
A new category should recognize real indie music
- Real alternative music acts have been shut-out at the Grammys in favor of their major-label siblings, observes James Reed in the
The Alternative Music category, which has been around since 1991, has never exactly been groundbreaking in its choices—an already well-known Sinead O'Connor took home the prize...
Lil Wayne Grabs
8 Grammy Nominations
Dec 4, 2008 2:15 AM CST
Lil Wayne Grabs 8 Grammy Nominations
Coldplay comes in second with 7, including one for album of the year
- Lil Wayne led the field at the Grammy nominations last night, AP reports. The rapper's eight nominations included one for album of the year for
Tha Carter III—
the first album to go platinum in its debut week since 2005. Coldplay came in second with seven nominations, which also included...
Writers Strike Accord
Jan 29, 2008 6:21 AM CST
Writers Strike Accord With Grammys
Strike won't stop the music, but what about Oscar?
- The Grammys broadcast will go on—with union scribes cleared to pen intros, segues, and one-liners that glue awards shows together—thanks to a waiver deal hammered out between the Writers Guild of America and the Recording Academy. The next battlefield is the Academy Awards. The guild has warned that...
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.