The music of Black Panther, with Kendrick Lamar in its starring role, officially owns the 2019 Grammy Awards. Also of note: Women are heavily represented in the major four categories. The Recording Academy announced Friday that Lamar is the top contender with eight nominations, including seven for his musical companion to the Marvel Studios juggernaut, per the AP. Black Panther: The Album, Music From and Inspired By is up for album of the year, a category where women make up five of the eight nominees. Cardi B, Kacey Musgraves, Janelle Monae, HER, and Brandi Carlile also are up for the top prize, along with Drake and Post Malone. The Feb. 10 Grammys is the first where the academy extended its top four categories from five nominees to eight. Some of the big nominations:
- Album of the year: Invasion of Privacy, Cardi B; By the Way, I Forgive You, Brandi Carlile; Scorpion, Drake; HER, HER; Beerbongs & Bentleys, Post Malone; Dirty Computer, Janelle Monae; Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves; Black Panther: The Album, Music From and Inspired By, Kendrick Lamar.
- Record of the year: "I Like It," Cardi B, Bad Bunny, and J Balvin; "The Joke," Brandi Carlile; "This Is America," Childish Gambino; "God's Plan," Drake; "Shallow," Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper; "All the Stars," Kendrick Lamar and SZA; "Rockstar," Post Malone and 21 Savage; "The Middle," Zedd, Maren Morris, and Grey.
- Best new artist: Chloe x Halle; Luke Combs; Greta Van Fleet; HER; Dua Lipa; Margo Price; Bebe Rexha; Jorja Smith.
- Best pop vocal album: Camila, Camila Cabello; Meaning of Life, Kelly Clarkson; Sweetener, Ariana Grande; Shawn Mendes, Shawn Mendes; Beautiful Trauma, Pink; Reputation, Taylor Swift.
- Best rock album: Rainier Fog, Alice In Chains; Mania, Fall Out Boy; Prequelle, Ghost; From the Fires, Greta Van Fleet; Pacific Daydream, Weezer.
- Best alternative music album: Tranquility Base Hotel + Casino, Arctic Monkeys; Colors, Beck; Utopia, Bjork; American Utopia, David Byrne; Masseduction, St. Vincent.
- Best rap album: Invasion of Privacy, Cardi B; Swimming, Mac Miller; Victory Lap, Nipsey Hussle; Daytona, Pusha T; Astroworld, Travis Scott.
- Best country album: Unapologetically, Kelsea Ballerini; Port Saint Joe, Brothers Osborne; Girl Going Nowhere, Ashley McBryde; Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves; From A Room: Volume 2, Chris Stapleton.
- Best music video: "Apes--t," The Carters; "This Is America," Childish Gambino; "I'm Not Racist," Joyner Lucas; "PYNK," Janelle Monae; "MUMBO JUMBO," Tierra Whack.
More nominations here.
(Read more Grammys